Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search
Choose your language:

Most viewed
bellcairn1913-2.jpg
Bellcairn House2416 viewsA Cove mansion designed by architect William Landless in 1876.
ClydeSt1953.jpg
Clyde Street School 1953-42411 viewsA picture of a class at Helensburgh's Clyde Street School. Image supplied by Alex Hunter, Ontario, Canada, who is in the third row, second from the right. In the second row, fourth from left, is Mary MacKinnon, and on the extreme left of the front row is Joe McKell who went on to become a well known local footballer. Alex thinks the teacher was Miss Minto, and would welcome any more information.
knockderrycastle.jpg
Knockderry Castle, Cove2400 viewsBuilt on the site of a Danish fort about 1855 to the design of the famous architect Alexander 'Greek' Thomson, Knockderry Castle at Cove became the family home of the Templeton carpet manufacturing family. In 1896-7 another famous architect, William Leiper, designed an extension and a lodge for John Templeton, and a famous guest of his at the castle was millionaire philanthropist Andrew Carnegie. For some years a hotel, it is now a private residence again. Image circa 1912.
whistlefield_station.jpg
Whistlefield Station2400 viewsA photograph of the North British Railway station at Whistlefield, probably from the late 1920’s or early 1930’s. Note the advertisement for Tennents.
New_Year_Swim1.jpg
New Year Swim 19662395 viewsBy tradition, girls were the first to enter the water at Helensburgh pier. The first man in was Helensburgh Swimming Club president Angus Trail, his 38th Ne'erday plunge. This was the first year that certificates were presented to the participants. Designed by local artist Gregor Ian Smith, they bore the proud inscription 'Many are cauld but few are frozen'.
Empress3.jpg
TS Empress2395 viewsThe Empress moored in the Gareloch off Rhu. She was the second of two charitable training ships for boys, and was in the Gareloch from 1889 until the 1920s, with staff giving a tough and sometimes brutal training to the 300 boys on board at any time. In this picture some can be seen aloft. Image circa 1910.
1943-Hermitage-pupils.jpg
1943 Hermitage School class2395 viewsMembers of a class of 13 year-olds at Hermitage School in East Argyle Street pictured during the Second World War, including some evacuees from Clydebank. Back: Jim Arrol, John Osborne, unknown, unknown, Robert Dunlop, unknown; middle: unknown, Bobby Phillips, Ian Gilchrist, unknown, Jack Orr Winton, Roy McKenzie; front: unknown, Henry Brown, unknown. Image supplied by Bobby Phillips.
Larchfield_School_about_1957-2.jpg
Larchfield class2395 viewsA class at Helensburgh's Larchfield School in Colquhoun Street circa 1957. The teacher is Mrs Mary Arthur. Image supplied by Robert Whitton whose father, the Rev R.A.Whitton, was minister of St Michael and All Angels Church from 1951-9.
The_Empress_19091.jpg
The Empress, circa 19092394 viewsThe Empress moored in the Gareloch off Rhu. She was the second of two charitable training ships for boys, and was in the Gareloch from 1889 until the 1920s, with staff giving a tough and sometimes brutal training to the 300 boys on board at any time.
1960_Hermitage_School.jpg
Hermitage School 19602394 viewsMiss Purdy's class at Hermitage School, circa 1960. Top from left David Smith, -, -, -, -, -, David Blair, Douglas Beaton, Jackie Kerr; 2nd top, Miss Purdy, Willy McMillan, -, -, Morris Kirk, -, -, Archie Haining, John Fraser; 3rd top Colin McCallum, -, -, -, Francis Mundie, Ian Jack, Irene Robb, Campbell Rich; front Liz Tran?, -, Dorothy Hood?, May Patterson, -, -, Wendy Swankie. Can anyone fill in the blanks? Image supplied by Ian Jack.
1947-Hermitage-Xmas5421.jpg
1947 Hermitage Christmas Dance2393 viewsSenior pupils of Hermitage School at their Christmas Dance in 1947. Image supplied by Jenny Sanders.
Empress.jpg
Training Ship Empress2392 viewsThe Empress moored in the Gareloch off Rhu. She was the second of two charitable training ships for boys, and was in the Gareloch from 1889 until the 1920s, with staff giving a tough and sometimes brutal training to the 300 boys on board at any time.
2120 files on 177 page(s) 4