Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search
Choose your language:

Most viewed
Hermitage_Park_children.jpg
Play in the Park1475 viewsChildren enjoy Hermitage Park. The Cenotaph can be seen in the distance.
Donkey_Derby1423.jpg
Lions Carnival1472 viewsMiss Great Britain, Jennifer Gurley, is with Helensburgh Lions Club members Provost J.McLeod Williamson and Alan Wylie at the Lions Club's Carnival and Donkey Derby in East King Street Park in July 1968. In the background is another Lions Club member, Stewart Walker.
Infirmary_staff_dance0313.jpg
Victoria Infirmary Staff Dance1469 viewsA group at a Helensburgh Victoria Infirmary staff dance attended by some 70 people in the Ardencaple Hotel, Rhu, in February 1966. From left are Nurse Mrs Glover, Mr Shearer, Matron Miss Cairns, and Nurse Mrs Shearer, and Bill Glover, chief ambulance controller at the Vale of Leven Hospital.
Swim_Club_prizegiving0983.jpg
Prize Swimmers1469 viewsA Helensburgh Swimming Club prizegiving in the Pillar Hall in the 1950s. Image supplied by Iain McCulloch.
Badminton-champions.jpg
Badminton champions1467 viewsHelensburgh and District badminton championships winners, circa 1960. Back row: ?, ?, Ronnie Trail, Ken Mercer, Morag Carslaw, ?, Marion Watson, ?, Robert Burns, Johnny Sharp, Alan Miller, Tommy Stewart; front row: Frank Smith, Sheila Campbell, Isobel Campbell, Robert Watt, Kathy Stewart, ?. More names would be welcome.
Coaches_at_pier0291.jpg
Coaches at the pier1461 viewsThree coaches wait at Helensburgh pierhead for the arrival of the next steamer. Date unknown.
Image1-152.jpg
West Princes Street1459 viewsWest Princes Street looking east. Date unknown.
Dalriada_Portincaple.jpg
Crimea, Portincaple1459 viewsCrimea, now renamed Dalriada, was the home of eminent artist James Kay RSA RSW who lived there for 33 years and worked in a studio at 79 West Regent Street, Glasgow. It belonged to his brother Alec, a shipping office manager. The name was chosen when they moved there in 1909 because his father was a Chief Petty Officer in the Royal Navy during the Crimean War, serving in the Black Sea area. James painted an elaborate mural of scenes from the Crimean War on the walls of the main entrance. Image date unknown.
Kerr_furniture4.jpg
Thomas H.Kerr Furniture1451 viewsThe 19 James Street premises of Thomas H.Kerr, Dealer in Modern and Antique Furniture, Cabinet-maker, Upholsterer and Removal Contractor. Image circa 1910.
Glenarn-Rhu-w.jpg
Glenarn1450 viewsGlenarn was built in the late 1830s, and soon after the garden received plants from Joseph Hooker's 1849-50 expedition to Sikkim, notably the Rhododendron falconeri at the side of the house. The garden was extended by the Gibson family over the following 50 years after they acquired the property in 1927. The Thornley family arrived at Glenarn in 1983 to find much to be done to restore the gardens to their former glory and then to extend their scope still further, work which is continuing. Image date unknown.
Redtowers-w.jpg
Redtower1448 viewsAn early image of Redtower, 4 Douglas Drive West, Helensburgh, a red sandstone chateau-like mansion built in 1898 by distinguished local architect William Leiper for grocer James Allan. At the end of the 20th century it was bought by the Roman Catholic Diocese of Glasgow and used as a drug rehabilitation centre, but it has since reverted to private use and the name has been changed to Redtowers. Image supplied by Dr Nigel Allan.
German-Heinkel5.jpg
A Heinkel at Rhu circa 19401445 viewsThis photo by World War Two photographer Bob Bird shows a German Heinkel aircraft at the Marine Aircraft Experimental Research Establishment at Rhu. It was one of two Heinkel He 115 floatplanes modified by MAEE and Scottish Aviation to fly agents into Europe. Reproduced by kind permission of Robin Bird, who wrote ‘Top Secret War Bird of World War Two’ about his father.
2178 files on 182 page(s) 21