Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search
Choose your language:

Most viewed
Torpedo_range_circa192014.jpg
Loch Long Torpedo Range1495 viewsThis picture, circa 1920, shows the Loch Long Torpedo Range which was in use from 1912-86. The building was badly damaged by fire and demolished in 2007. Activity at the range reached a peak during World War Two, with more than 12,000 torpedoes being fired down the loch in 1944.
Cardross-derailment1.jpg
Cardross derailment1495 viewsThe goods train known locally as the ‘Ghost Train’ was derailed on October 18 1966 between the Ardmore East signal box and Cardross Station. It was on its way to Fort William.
Craigendoran-pier-crowd.jpg
Craigendoran Pier1494 viewsAll aboard at Craigendoran Pier — passengers from the boat train board the steamer Marmion for a trip 'doon the watter', circa 1930. In the background is the now demolished Craigendoran signal box. Image supplied by Campbell Neil.
helensburgh~0.jpg
Helensburgh Overview1490 viewsThis photo card is pre-1922. To the left of St Columba Church, Sinclair Street, in the centre of the photo, is the chimney of Malig Mill, which was demolished in 1922.
Mr-Smith-w.jpg
Hermitage class1489 viewsClass 1C at Hermitage School, circa 1955, with teacher Mr Smith. More details would be welcomed. Image supplied by Iain D.McAulay.
thorburn-family-group22.jpg
The Thorburn Family1488 viewsRobert Thorburn, a Helensburgh grocery store manager and keen amateur photographer, with his wife, Christina Graham from Rhu, and family. Taken around 1909.
Cenotaph.jpg
Helensburgh Cenotaph1485 viewsAn old photograph of the Cenotaph in Hermitage Park. Today the lettering of the names of the fallen is weather-beaten, and for safety reasons the pool is kept empty.
Helensburgh-derailment4.jpg
Helensburgh derailment1481 viewsThis derailment, which occurred about 1968, is shown from the Adelaide Street footbridge looking west towards Helensburgh Central Station.
Putting_Green_192520.jpg
Official Opening1479 viewsThe Helensburgh seafront putting green is officially inaugurated and opened by Provost Duncan in 1925. At the time, the cost of a round was three pence.
Morar_House.jpg
Morar House1479 viewsThe sadly neglected Morar House, which for some years was renamed Drumadoon, at the top of Upper Colquhoun Street, Helensburgh, opposite the Charles Rennie Mackintosh mansion Hill House. It was built by William Leiper in 1903, a year after Hill House, for the McAlpine family who owned a shipping firm, and was later the home of the Hogarth shipping family. For some years it was a nursing home, but has been unoccupied since then and is rapidly deteriorating. Photo by Stewart Noble.
Craigendoran-Swim102.jpg
Pier to pier swim1478 viewsEntrants in the annual Craigendoran pier to Helensburgh pier race run by Helensburgh Amateur Swimming Club are pictured on Craigendoran pier before the start. The winners were Jacqueline Craig (2nd from right) and Ken Mercer (right). Image circa 1965.
1946-Helensburgh-Cubs-w.jpg
3rd Helensburgh Cubs1476 viewsA 1946 group of Helensburgh Cubs. Top row (from left): Teddy McEwan, Jim Steel, Jim Spence, Norman Fagan, Billy Dixon, Robert Watt, Gordon Hamilton, Sandy Wright, ?, Robin Adair, Cosmo Fraser, Gordon Grant; second row: Scott Milne, Jim Aitken, John Oswald, Graham Scott, Charlie Dickens, ?, Gordon Peebles, Tony McAuley, Alister McLeod and (first name unknown) Norvel, Jim Kennedy, Robert Burns; third row: Willie Thomson, Hugh Abraham, Billy Campbell, Campbell Jardine, Mary Brough, ?, Miss Murdoch, ?, ?, Gordon Fraser, Clark Gibson, Douglas Lamb, Leo Hendry; front row: Tony Wright, Sandy Peters, Angus Tran, Jim Campbell, Jim McNeil, Donald Cameron, Iain Campbell, Kenneth Gibson, ?, David Griffith. Image supplied by Gordon Fraser.
2178 files on 182 page(s) 20