Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search
Choose your language:

Most viewed
Queen_s-Hotel-w~0.jpg
Queen's Hotel139 viewsThe Queen's Hotel was originally Baths House, built by Henry Bell, who built Europe's first commercial steamship the Comet in 1812. The building has had many alterations but still stands on East Clyde Street, having been converted into flats. Image date unknown.
1972_Storm_with_Susan_Cowan.jpg
Aye of the storm135 viewsStaff member Susan Cowan (now Mrs Maxwell) agreed to pose on the seafront during a gale on December 5 1972 for a publicity stunt. The headline was "Some people will do anything for a good read of the Helensburgh Advertiser". Photo by Donald Fullarton.
Geilston-Hall.jpg
Geilston Hall134 viewsGeilston Hall in Cardross. It was built in 1889-90 by Honeyman and Keppie as a drill hall for the local rifle volunteers. The pale sandstone hall is set back from the road and is in a Collegiate Tudor style. There is a two-storey administration block at the west end incorporating a square tower with a crenellated parapet. The former instructor's accommodation is on the upper level. Today the popular meeting place is operated in trust by the elected Geilston Hall Management Committee, and is a Registered Scottish Charity (SC040631). Photo by Stewart Noble.
Burgh-from-east-w.jpg
View from east134 viewsAn unusual view of Helensburgh from the east. Image date unknown.
AHBRE-Glen-Fruin-w.jpg
AHBRE Glen Fruin131 viewsA wintery image of the Admiralty Hydro Ballistic Research Establishment in Glen Fruin used on the cover of a calendar for 1978 produced by the photographic staff at the establishment. A copy of the calendar was donated to the Heritage Trust by Jock Troup.
Somerville-election-flyer-w~0.jpg
Somerville election flyer130 viewsJohn Somerville issued this flyer in his campaign for re-election for ward two on Helensburgh Town Council in 1938. He was successful, and went on to serve as Provost from 1941-44, and again in 1945. Image supplied by Malcolm LeMay.
Fruin_skating-2.jpg
Skating in Glen Fruin129 viewsPhotograph taken c.1910 by keen amateur photographer Robert Thorburn, a Helensburgh grocery store manager. It shows a skater enjoying the frozen River Fruin.
Lady_Clare.jpg
Lady Clare129 viewsThe steamer Lady Clare takes on passengers at Garelochhead pier. She was built in 1891 by J.MacArthur & Company of Paisley for the North British Railway Company’s service up the Gareloch from Craigendoran, and latterly Greenock. A smaller version of Lucy Ashton but with equally neat proportions, she was 180 feet long with a beam of 19 feet. After also serving in Derry from 1906 and in World War One as a minesweeper based in Belfast, she was broken up at Dumbarton in 1928. Image c.1900.
1938-swimming-pool-w.jpg
Outdoor pool127 viewsTwo swimmers on the slide at Helensburgh Outdoor Pool in August 1938.
Seafront_weighing_machine.jpg
Weighing machine127 viewsA weighing machine on Helensburgh's West Promenade at William Street. 1951 image supplied by Meg Carroll, seen with her cousin Brian Williams.
Fruin_fishing.jpg
Fruin fishing127 viewsPhotograph of George Nicol fishing in Glen Fruin with two young helpers, taken c.1910 by keen amateur photographer Robert Thorburn, a Helensburgh grocery store manager.
Blairnairn-Farm2C-Glen-Fruin-w.jpg
Fruin farm126 viewsBlairnairn Farm in Glen Fruin. Image date c.1920.
2166 files on 181 page(s) 175