Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search
Choose your language:

Most viewed
Bathing-huts-w.jpg
Beach huts212 viewsHuts provide shelter from the sun on Helensburgh beach just to the west of the pier. Image from 1933.
Putting_green2C_bus.jpg
Sunny putting211 viewsA bus awaits at Helensburgh pierhead and the putting green is busy on a sunny afternoon. Image c.1966.
Uries-West-Clyde-Street-w.jpg
Oldest surviving shop211 viewsThis image of West Clyde Street, Helensburgh, shows the town's longest surviving retail business, R & A Urie Ltd., China and Crystalware Specialist, at no.45, established in the town in 1854. Image c.1950.
Hermitage-Bowling-Club.jpg
Hermitage Bowling Club207 viewsThe long-closed bowling green in Hermitage Park, also known as the Low Green, where Hermitage Bowling Club was based, with the now demolished Park Superintendent's house at the back.
Lucy-Ashton-test-bed-w.jpg
Lucy Ashton as test bed206 viewsThe steamer Lucy Ashton operated the Craigendoran - Gareloch - Greenock service from the early 1900s until she was withdrawn during the Second World War. In 1949 she was sold for scrap, but received a last minute reprieve when the British Shipbuilding Research Association converted her to a jet-powered hull to conduct resistance experiments to analyse the impact of drag and friction on a full-scale ship hull. She was fitted with four Rolls-Royce Derwent V engines, which would not disturb the water in the same way as a propeller and shaft, then was scrapped in 1951. Photo by courtesy of Helensburgh Memories on Facebook.
Fruin_flowers.jpg
Fruin flowers206 viewsPhotograph of his wife, Christina Graham from Rhu, and children Graham and Mabel picking flowers in Glen Fruin, taken c.1910 by keen amateur photographer Robert Thorburn, a Helensburgh grocery store manager.
Pier-rowing-boats.jpg
Rowing boats ashore204 viewsLocal worthies and their rowing boats to the west of Helensburgh pier. Image date unknown.
1912_Comet_replica.jpg
1912 Comet replica203 viewsThis Glasgow Corporation single-decker tramcar in the guise of Henry Bell's Comet ran through the city at night, illuminated, to mark the centenary of the Comet launch. Towards the stern is seen a metal pole leading up to make contact with the overhead electric wires. Image from the September 7 1912 edition of the Illustrated London News.
Torr-Road-Rhu-w.jpg
202 viewsLooking down Torr Road above Rhu. Image date unknown.
1930s_Rhu_Primary_girls.jpg
1930s Rhu Primary School girls201 viewsIsobel Macdonald is in the middle of the front row. Other names would be welcomed. Image supplied by Liz Sutherland.
West-Princes-Street-with-carriage-w.jpg
West Princes Street200 viewsAn image c.1920 of of a traffic-free West Princes Street, looking east from Colquhoun Square. Image supplied by Jeff Castel de Oro.
St-Gildas-Church-w.jpg
St Gildas Church200 viewsThe Rosneath Catholic church, sited on part of the old Clachan House Estate, was designed as a representation of a ship under sail by Glasgow Architects Thomas Gardiner, Cunningham and Partners. The church was finished in March 1968 and named St Gildas in deference to the Church of Scotland whose church in Rosneath is St Modan's.
2179 files on 182 page(s) 172