Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search
Choose your language:

Most viewed
Larchfield-School-1951-w.jpg
Larchfield School1594 viewsA 1951 image of the staff and pupils of Helensburgh's Larchfield School outside the Colquhoun Street building. It later became part of Lomond School, but when that was consolidated on the St Bride's site it was sold to Cala Homes for development. The headmaster at the time was Stephen Hutchinson, later to become a minister, and other masters included Mr Barclay-Smith, Mr Goldsmith, Mr Denny and Mr Geddes. Image supplied by former pupil Thomas Mann.
Hermitage-1B-w.jpg
Hermitage class1594 viewsClass 2B at Hermitage School, circa 1956. More details would be welcomed. Image supplied by Iain D.McAulay.
Bobby_McGregor1.jpg
Olympic Medalist Bobby MacGregor1593 viewsHelensburgh-born Scottish and British champion and world record holder Bobby MacGregor gave a demonstration swim at the Helensburgh Swimming Club Gala in the outdoor pool in August 1964. Son of a former burgh pondmaster, he went on to take silver in the 100 metres freestyle at the Tokyo Olympics a few weeks later.
Now an architect, Bobby moved to Helensburgh some years ago.
1960_Craigendoran_swim1621.jpg
1960 Craigendoran Swim1591 viewsHelensburgh Swimming Club prepare to dive from Craigendoran pier to swim to Helensburgh pier in the annual event in August 1960. The first girl is club champion for many years Sheila Bell, next to her is Elspeth McLean, and fifth girl along is Sandy MacRitchie. The boy second from right rubbing his hands is Colin McCallum. Further details would be welcomed by the editor.
queenshotel.jpg
The Queen's Hotel1590 viewsThe Queen's Hotel was originally Baths House, built by Henry Bell, who built Europe's first commercial steamship the Comet in 1812. The building has had many alterations but still stands on East Clyde Street, having been converted into flats. Image date unknown.
Old_Hel_pic.jpg
Helensburgh from the air1587 viewsThe town centre area, believed to have been taken about 1920.
1930s-sheepdog-trials5251.jpg
Sheepdog trials1587 viewsA young lady with dogs at the Helensburgh and District Sheepdog Trials at Camis Eskan Farm, circa 1930. Photo by James Russell, Alexandria.
War_veterans2.jpg
World War veterans1580 viewsHelensburgh veterans of the First and Second World Wars pictured at a reunion at the Clydeview, East Montrose Street, home of Lieutenant Colonel Archibald MacConnell, DSO, TD (front row, centre), circa 1950. Soon after he donated his house to the Church of Scotland for use as an eventide home. Seated in the front row, second from the left, is World War One Battle of the Somme survivor Archibald Robertson, whose granddaughter Joan Spencer supplied this image. Third from the right in the standing front row is James Taylor, who owned the Music Shop in James Street, and second from the right is Walter S.Bryden, son of Provost Sam Bryden and owner of Macneur & Bryden Ltd. and the Helensburgh and Gareloch Times. Thomas Garrity DCM, an accomplished drummer who taught many aspiring local drummers, is seated front far left.
1897-Luss-pupils.jpg
Luss School 18971575 viewsThe pupils of Luss School in 1897 were photographed by the Rev T.E.Jubb, who was minister of Luss Parish Church for many years. The occasion was a school sports outing to the Games Park.
New_Year_Swim_group0992.jpg
1914 New Year Swim1570 viewsFive swimmers dry off on the pier after the Helensburgh New Year Swim. Image supplied by Iain McCulloch.
Dalriada_lounge.jpg
Crimea lounge1567 viewsThe lounge of Crimea at Portincaple, full of paintings by eminent artist James Kay RSA RSW who lived there for 33 years and worked in a studio in Glasgow. It belonged to his brother Alec, a shipping office manager. The name was chosen when they moved there in 1909 because his father was a Chief Petty Officer in the Royal Navy during the Crimean War, serving in the Black Sea area. James painted an elaborate mural of scenes from the Crimean on the walls of the main entrance. Image date unknown.
TS_Empress06.jpg
TS Empress1560 viewsThe Empress moored in the Gareloch off Rhu. She was the second of two charitable training ships for boys, and was in the Gareloch from 1889 until the 1920s, with staff giving a tough and sometimes brutal training to the 300 boys on board at any one time. Image date unknown.
2166 files on 181 page(s) 17