Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search
Choose your language:

Most viewed
2005-blossom-festival-w.jpg
Blossom Festival220 viewsTravel by horse and cart — lent by Glasgow City Council — in West Argyle Street during the first Helensburgh Blossom Festival, inspired by hanami cherry-blossom viewing, in 2005. The festival, organised by Anne Urquhart with the support of local organisations and the Glasgow-based Scottish-Japanese Residents Association, was held annually until 2007 with the aid of funding from Argyll and Bute Council. Photo by Stewart Noble.
Cardross-Golf-Club.jpg
Cardross Golf Club219 viewsThe clubhouse at Cardross Golf Club, which replaced a more traditional building which was destroyed in the 'Cardross Blitz' on May 6 1941. The club was founded in 1895, and the current course layout benefitted from design changes recommended by James Braid, which were implemented in 1921. Photo by Stewart Noble.
Rhu-water-trip.jpg
Waterworks trip218 viewsLocal worthies, including F.C.Buchanan of Rowmore, Rhu (left), celebrate the opening of a new dam and waterworks in the hills above the village, c.1896.
1999-Victoria-Inf-w.jpg
Victoria Infirmary garden218 viewsThis garden in front of the Victoria Infirmary and beside new build premises was sponsored by Helensburgh Toyota. 1999 photo by Kenneth Crawford.
Betty-Humphreys-w.jpg
Trust founder217 viewsBetty Humphrey, whose hard work and persistence led to the foundation of Helensburgh Heritage Trust in 1996, is pictured with her late husband John. She later moved to Rochford in Essex. The Trust was officially founded at a public meeting in the Court Hall of the Municipal Buildings February 29 1996. Mrs Humphrey, a teacher, campaigned for it for several years, Photo by Kenneth Crawford.
WW1-Rhu-Parade-w.jpg
Marching to Rhu217 viewsThe Helensburgh Citizen Training Force marches past Pier Road, Rhu, led by members of the Helensburgh Clan Colquhoun Pipe Band, during World War One. Image supplied by Eric McArthur who suspects the gentleman on the grass verge with the black suit and black hat and walking stick could be his grandfather, Alexander Macarthur, who lived at 56 John Street. The object of the Citizen Training Force was to provide military training for men ineligible for business or other valid reasons to enlist in the Forces.
Miss-Eman_s-shop.jpg
Toffee shop216 viewsM.Eman's shop at 74 West Clyde Street, Helensburgh, home of the famous Helensburgh Toffee. Established in 1870, it advertised The Connoisseur's Confectionary, and it also included a tearoom. Image c.1910.
Fruin_farmer.jpg
Fruin farmer216 viewsPhotograph of a farmer with his scythe in Glen Fruin, taken c.1910 by keen amateur photographer Robert Thorburn, a Helensburgh grocery store manager.
Ardencaple_Castle_cows.jpg
215 viewsCows graze in the field in front of Ardencaple Castle, the ancient seat of the Clan MacAulay. All but one tower of the building was demolished in 1957, and a naval housing estate was built on the site. Image c.1911.
WW1-Soldiers-w.jpg
Going to war215 viewsLocal soldiers leaving for World War One. The second and third soldiers in, who have a kit bag between them, both have gassed written next to them. On the back of the original photo was written: 2nd on left back row - killed; soldier in front row 6th from left with dark bear skin over his shoulders - wounded; soldier behind him to the right - prisoner; soldier with a moustache in front of door - prisoner. More details would be welcomed. Copy image supplied by Liz Sutherland.
Ardencaple-Quadrant-w.jpg
Ardencaple Quadrant215 viewsArdencaple Quadrant, built originally to house those who had been injured in the First World War, seen beyond the greenhouse of Ferniegair which was demolished in the 1960s. Image date unknown.
Lethamhill-w.jpg
Lethamhill214 viewsThis large, detached villa is a grade B listed building at 20 West Dhuhill Drive, Helensburgh, designed in 1914 by Sir John James Burnett, president of the Glasgow Institute of Architects in 1897. He also designed Glasgow's Alhambra Theatre and the Sick Children's Hospital at Yorkhill.
2166 files on 181 page(s) 168