Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album

Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search
Choose your language:

Most viewed
Water trip233 viewsHelensburgh town councillors and officials at the Sinclair Street water pump house. Image donated to the Heritage Trust by John Stirling whose father is in centre of the back row. His father was the burgh surveyor and water engineer, taking up the post in 1912 and continuing until 1946. Image date unknown.
Quiet East Bay232 viewsA 1929 image of Helensburgh's East Bay on a quiet, grey day.
232 viewsMaggie Hamilton, by her husband James Nisbet Paterson. Copyright the Anderson (Local Collection) Trust.
Smiling patients231 viewsDuring World War One from 1914-18 the Helensburgh Town Council-owned Hermitage House in Hermitage Park became a military hospital with a capacity for 58 patients who were sent from Stobhill Hospital in Glasgow. The wounded men in their blue uniforms were a familiar sight in the town, being wheeled around the park by their nurses. A number of local ladies and girls helped out in the hospital and the local Red Cross detachment also assisted the trained nurses. Many local girls met their future husbands among the wounded ‘tommies’, and patients were taken on outings in a horse-drawn carriage from Waldie & Co. in Sinclair Street. Image dated 1915.
Planting season230 viewsPhotograph taken c.1913 probably by keen amateur photographer Robert Thorburn, a Helensburgh grocery store manager. It shows planting on Duirlands Farm, Glen Fruin. Image supplied by David Clark from a collection of glass slides.
The Balloch Navy229 viewsWorld War Two Home Guard security extended around Loch Lomond, where the Rhu-based Marine Aircraft Experimental Establishment conducted top secret trials, but this was not the responsibility of MAEE. The fear was that German seaplanes might land on Loch Lomond, especially at night, so the ‘Balloch Navy’ patrolled the loch in requisitioned motorboats which were armed and flew the white ensign. Image by courtesy of Iain McAllister from the Silver Motor Yachts private Facebook group.
Viaduct view229 viewsAn image of Fernbreck, Garelochead, and the viaduct on the hillside. Image date unknown.
Mystery House225 viewsA July 1905 image which shows Mrs Smith and her dog Top outside their house, possibly at Portincaple. More information welcome.
Arrochar Hotel224 viewsAn old view of the Arrochar Hotel. Originally a coaching inn and called The Arrochar Inn, it was also the Torrance Hotel for a time. Image circa 1916.
Larchfield223 viewsThe early days of Larchfield School in Colquhoun Street, Helensburgh, photographed by John Stuart who had a photographers business in Helensburgh and Glasgow, and served as Provost of Helensburgh from 1877-84.
Chilly Glen223 viewsA chilly day in Glen Fruin, with Tamnavoulin in the distance. The name of the small cottage derives from the Gaelic for ‘hill of the mill’. The vicinity of the cottage is thought to have been the site of a dwelling as far back as the 15th century, while one account gives the date of the present building as early 19th century. Image date unknown.
Nurse Annie Baird222 viewsAnnie Baird, sister of John Logie Baird, can be seen top left in this group of young nurses pictured at Hythe, Kent, c.1911. Image supplied by her nephew, Professor Malcolm Baird.
2166 files on 181 page(s) 167