Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search
Choose your language:

Most viewed
Rosneath-Castle-demolition.jpg
Rosneath Castle demolition1675 viewsCompleted in 1806 by London-based architect Joseph Bonomi, this neo-classical mansion replaced a castle burnt down in 1802. It was used as a military hospital during the First World War and was home to Queen Victoria's daughter Princess Louise, the Dowager Duchess of Argyll, until her death in 1939. It was an HQ for the Rosneath Naval Base in World War Two, then abandoned, then damaged by fire in 1947, and demolished in 1961 — when this picture was taken.
Portincaple-House.jpg
Portincaple House1674 viewsPortincaple House on Loch Longside was also known as Ferry House, and the ferry plied across the loch to Mark. An open-air church service was held annually on the front lawn on Glasgow Fair Sunday. It was the home of ferryman and fisherman Finlay McNab and his family, and also the holiday home of the controversial Nottingham MP Charles Bradlaugh. Image circa 1902.
Ardenvohr.jpg
Ardenvohr1674 viewsThe villa Ardenvohr at Rhu, built in 1857 to the design of local architect Thomas Gildard and at various times the home of the Muir and Hoggans families, taken from the top of the Rhu Church tower. It became the Royal Northern Yacht Club clubhouse in 1937, and in 1978 the club's name changed to the Royal Northern and Clyde Yacht Club. Image circa 1952.
St__Joseph_s_7th_grade_1958.jpg
St Joseph's School P7 19581673 viewsBack: Margaret Donnachie, Sandra ?, Patricia Connelly, Maureen Malley, Geraldine Dick, Mary Ann Campbell, George McGourlay, Caroline McGonigal, Elizabeth Neil, M.McKay, Anne McLean, Mary McCafferty, Christine Cavana; middle: Marian Finnegan, John Booth, Eillean Kenny, Eddie Jackson, Maria Kolowodski, Margaret Mundie, Rosemary Harlow, Anne McBrierty, Jim Edwards, Margaret Hockey, Lillian McDonald, Jim Kelly, Marlene Cummings; front: Maureen Graham, Andrew Donaldson, Dennis Boyle, Kitty Anne Wilkinson, Ian McDonald, Kathleen Ward, Stephen Shields, Anne Donachie, headmaster James McAuley, Patricia Haggerty, Raymond O'Brien, Catherine McGinley, ?, Francis Gray, Brian Brabender, Johnnie McGinley. Image supplied by John Booth.
1972_Helensburgh_rugby.jpg
Helensburgh 1st XV 19721672 viewsThe Helensburgh Rugby Club 1st XV pictured at Ardencaple. Standing: Peter Foster, Peter Elles, unknown, unknown, unknown, Brian Johnstone, Alasdair Glendye, Graham Heron; front: Stewart Aitken, Julian Rey, Jimmy Findlay, Dave Muir, Howard Morrison, Malcolm Bell, Alastair Baird.
Ardenconnel_House.jpg
Ardenconnel House, Rhu1668 viewsA mid-1930s view of Ardenconnel House at Rhu. The B-listed mansion was built by the Buchanan family in the late 18th century, and Ardenconnel was one of the principal estates of the old parish of Row. It was bought in 1899 by the Countrywide Holidays Association, and by 1908 could accommodate 120 guests. The CHA is the oldest walking holiday company in the country, set up in 1893 to encourage participation in, and enjoyment of, the countryside, and to this day, while no longer operating walking holidays, is still working hard to fulfil the vision of founder the Rev T.A.Leonard. The mansion was later converted into modern flats. Image by Jean M.Watson.
clydest_williamst.jpg
West Clyde Street, William Street1667 viewsThe junction of William Street and West Clyde Street.
This image is watermarked.
Ferniegair-from-east142.jpg
Ferniegair from the east1662 viewsFerniegair on West Clyde Street, home of the Kidston family and immediately east of Cairndhu, built in 1869 by architect John Honeyman and demolished in the 1960s. Image supplied by John Johnston.
Hermitage_School_c_1930.jpg
Hermitage class 19301646 viewsA Hermitage Primary School class, circa 1930. More information would be welcomed by the editor. Image supplied by Sue Thornley.
Ardencaple_Castle.jpg
Ardencaple Castle1642 viewsA 1915 view of Ardencaple Castle, the ancient seat of the Clan MacAulay. All but one tower of the building was demolished in 1957, and a naval housing estate was built on the site.
Camis_Eskan_House_1972-1.jpg
Camis Eskan House1640 viewsAn aerial view of Camis Eskan House, circa 1972, when it was in use as a hospital. The main part was built in 1648 by the Dennistouns, who had a royal connection through marriage. In 1836 the mansion was sold to Colin Campbell from Renfrewshire, and his descendants owned it until November 1946 when it was bought by the then Dunbartonshire County Council. Well known Helensburgh architect A.N.Paterson was commissioned by the then tenant, lawyer Leonard Gow, to modernise and extend the building in 1915. During the Second World War it was requisitioned by the Government and used as a hospital for Polish Army casualties, then rented to the County Council for use as a hospital for, first, TB patients, then infectious diseases, then maternity, and finally geriatric use. In 1979 it was developed for private flats and dwellings. Image supplied by Robert Reid.
rockgarden~0.jpg
Remains of Malig Mill1624 viewsAround 1922 the mill was demolished. Some remains were kept and a rock garden was created.
This image is watermarked.
2166 files on 181 page(s) 15