Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search
Choose your language:

Most viewed
1984_Rotary_golf1.jpg
Rotary Golf1702 viewsMembers of Helensburgh Rotary Club with their counterparts from the Dumbarton club at Cardross Golf Club on June 27 1984 for the annual match.
The burgh members are — front: Angus Wylie (2nd from left), Gordon Mickel (right); standing: Ian Baird, Gordon Burgess, Fraser Nicol, Jim McBlane, Hamish Andrew, Gordon Hattle, Walter Bryden, David Esslemont and Angus Trail. Holding the trophies are Dumbarton's Billy Ritchie and Sam Diab, both Helensburgh residents.
Hermitage-1st-XV-1961-2.jpg
Hermitage School 1st XV1702 viewsThe 1961-2 Hermitage School rugby team, led by captain Campbell Smith (front row centre).
Rosneath_Castle_from_side.jpg
Rosneath Castle1701 viewsCompleted in 1806 by London-based architect Joseph Bonomi, this neo-classical mansion replaced a castle burnt down in 1802. It was used as a military hospital during the First World War and was home to Queen Victoria's daughter Princess Louise, the Dowager Duchess of Argyll, until her death in 1939. It was an HQ for the Rosneath Naval Base in World War Two, then abandoned, then damaged by fire in 1947, and demolished in 1961. Image circa 1903.
puttinggreen.jpg
Seafront Putting Green1700 viewsThe card is postmarked 1957.
Ardencaple_Castle_derelict1.jpg
Ardencaple Castle derelict1697 viewsThe last private resident, Mrs H.MacAulay-Stromberg, bought the castle from Sir Iain Colquhoun in 1923 and at last the castle returned to MacAulay ownership. Under her care the castle and grounds were brought back into good order. She died in 1931, and it faced a long period of neglect. During the Second World War it was used by the Admiralty as Naval Married Quarters, and it was demolished in 1957 to make room for a naval housing estate. Image by courtesy of the Clan MacAulay Association, date unknown.
Derflinger~0.jpg
End of a battleship1694 viewsThe German battleship Derflinger is seen arriving at the Faslane yard of Metal Industries Ltd. on board a floating dock in 1946. Launched on June 1 1913, the battleship was scuttled at Scapa Flow on June 21 1919 and lay in 45 metres of water until it raised to the surface in July 1939 — the last of the accessible big ships scuttled at Scapa Flow. After the Second World War she was brought to the Gareloch for shipbreaking.
Rhu_FC_192512.jpg
Rhu Footballers of 19251691 viewsA Row FC team picture at Ardenconnel Park.
Waverley-presentation.jpg
Print presented1689 viewsComet bicentenary committee and Helensburgh Heritage Trust chairman Stewart Noble presents a signed and framed print of Neil MacLeod's painting of the Comet replica to the captain of the world's last sea-going paddle steamer PS 'Waverley to mark the bicentenary in July 2012. Photo by Judy Noble.
madeleine_family8.jpg
NOT Madeleine Smith and her family1688 viewsThis picture appears in several books and is claimed to be Madeleine Smith who was tried in 1857 for the murder of her lover, Pierre Emile L’Angelier, and her family. However experts have concluded that, while it is an image of a Victorian family, it is definitely not the Smith family.
football_team6.jpg
Unknown Football Team1686 viewsThe venue might be Ardenconnel Park, Rhu, but neither the team nor the date are known.
Camis_Eskan_1972-2.jpg
Camis Eskan House1684 viewsAn aerial view of Camis Eskan House, circa 1972, when it was in use as a hospital. The main part was built in 1648 by the Dennistouns, who had a royal connection through marriage. In 1836 the mansion was sold to Colin Campbell from Renfrewshire, and his descendants owned it until November 1946 when it was bought by the then Dunbartonshire County Council. Well known Helensburgh architect A.N.Paterson was commissioned by the then tenant, lawyer Leonard Gow, to modernise and extend the building in 1915. During the Second World War it was requisitioned by the Government and used as a hospital for Polish Army casualties, then rented to the County Council for use as a hospital for, first, TB patients, then infectious diseases, then maternity, and finally geriatric use. In 1979 it was developed for private flats and dwellings. Image supplied by Robert Reid.
madeleinesmithmono-w9.jpg
The Trial of Madeleine Smith1677 viewsONE of the great tales of Scottish Law is the trial of Madeleine Smith for murder after a love affair which mostly took place in Rhu.
Madeleine was tried for the murder of her lover, Pierre Emile L’Angelier, at the High Court in Edinburgh. The trial began on June 30 1857, and finished on July 9. The case was found not proven, a unique Scottish verdict.
2165 files on 181 page(s) 14