Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search
Choose your language:

Most viewed
TS_Empress261.jpg
TS Empress1843 viewsThe training ship Empress moored in the Gareloch off Rhu. She was the second of two charitable training ships for boys, and was in the Gareloch from 1889 until the 1920s, with staff giving a tough and sometimes brutal training to the 300 boys on board at any time. Image circa 1902.
Helensburgh-1st-XV4013.jpg
Helensburgh Rugby Club1839 viewsOne of the earliest Helensburgh Rugby Club team photos, taken in October 1969. Standing (from left): Julian Rey, Douglas Grewcock, Howard Morrison, Douglas Dow, Paul Johnston, unknown, Bob Stretch; front: Alan Howat, Dave Muir, Guy Grant, the Rev Russell Davidson, Graeme Heron, Brian Johnstone, Paddy Burns, Fergus Howat.
Glen_Luss_bridge-52.jpg
The Ram's Head Bridge1836 viewsThis photo by Donald Fullarton shows the Ram's Head Bridge in Glen Luss, built in 1777 by William Johns, seen in winter with little vegetation. It was also known as the Tupp Bridge. Glen Luss was one of the first of the Highland glens to be cleared after the defeat of the Jacobites in 1745, with the people forced off the land and replaced by the Linton breed of black-faced sheep.
Sinclair-Street049_18-02-17.jpg
Sinclair Street shops1828 viewsA view of the east side of Sinclair Street, between Clyde Street and Princes Street, circa 1950. The shops are C.G.Reid ironmonger, J.Rowan clothier, Birrell confectioner, the Tudor Garden Restaurant, A.Massey & Sons grocer, Alex Munro butcher, Peacocks hairdresser, Hargan's shoes, the entrance to the Waldie & Co. Ltd. garage, two unidentified shops, Ross shoes, Maclachlan bakers.
clydestcart.jpg
East Clyde Street1816 viewsThe lamp standard on the left marks the entrance to the Queen's Hotel. Postmarked 1920.
Knockderry_Castle.jpg
Knockderry Castle1816 viewsBuilt on the site of a Danish fort about 1855 to the design of the famous architect Alexander 'Greek' Thomson, Knockderry Castle at Cove became the family home of the Templeton carpet manufacturing family. In 1896-7 another famous architect, William Leiper, designed an extension and a lodge for John Templeton, and a famous guest of his at the castle was millionaire philanthropist Andrew Carnegie. For some years a hotel, it is now a private residence again. Photo taken in 1946.
Woolworths~0.jpg
Woolworths1815 viewsA view of West Clyde Street circa 1970 showing the F.W.Woolworth branch which closed in January 2009 and beyond it the National Commercial Bank which became part of the Royal Bank of Scotland and moved to Colquhoun Square.
The_Lucy_Ashton_URTV.jpg
Lucy Ashton1807 viewsThe little steamer Lucy Ashton, named after the famous and much loved paddle steamer, set off on the morning of Saturday August 4 2012 to greet the paddle steamer Waverley at Helensburgh pier as part of the bicentenary celebrations. Unfortunately, on the way back to Rhu Marina for the afternoon procession, a gasket in the engine blew, and the vessel's participation was ended. Photo by URTV Helensburgh.tv.
pool_1930s18.jpg
Taking the plunge1803 viewsFour young swimmers jump into the Helensburgh outdoor pool in the 1930s.
Larchfield-2-w.jpg
Larchfield School 19581789 viewsThe second part of a whole school picture taken in front of the Colquhoun Street building in 1958, including headmaster Steven Hutchison. Image supplied by Phil Plumbe, a former Clyde Street School and Larchfield pupil now living in Melbourne, Australia.
Larchfield-sports-June-1935.jpg
Salute to champion1778 viewsFellow competitors at the annual Larchfield School Sports Day in June 1935 and a teacher salute the champion.
William-St-shelter044.jpg
The William Street shelter1764 viewsLooking east along West Clyde Street, with the now demolished William Street shelter on the right and two horse-drawn carriages on the road. Image circa 1915.
2165 files on 181 page(s) 12