| Most viewed - Religion |

Row Parish Church1089 viewsA 1904 image of Rhu — then Row — Parish Church. It dates from 1851 and stands on the site of an 18th century predecessor. Amongst those buried in the kirkyard is Henry Bell, whose Comet was the world's first commercially successful steamship. In 1851 the marine engineer Robert Napier built the statue which today marks Bell's grave.
|
|

St Michael's Church1080 viewsThe interior of St Michael and All Angels Church in West Princes Street, Helensburgh. Image circa 1909.
|
|

Rhu Parish Church1077 viewsSnowdrops and crocuses in the churchyard of Rhu Parish Church in March 2010. Image taken and supplied by the Rev David Clark, former minister of what is now Helensburgh Parish Church.
|
|

Sunday School trip-21075 viewsA Sunday School outing from Helensburgh's St Bride's Church to Balmaha in June 1930. Image supplied by Chrissie Clow.
|
|

St Michael's Outing1073 viewsA Helensburgh's St Michael and All Angels Church Sunday School outing to Comrie in 1954. Image supplied by Robert Whitton whose father, the Rev R.A.Whitton, was minister of the church from 1951-9.
|
|

Cardross Old Parish Church1072 viewsThe church, the second on the site, was built in 1826 to designs by Greenock architect George Dempster. It was destroyed by incendiary bombs dropped by German bombers over the night of May 5-6 1941. The tower and walls were made safe in 1954 as a memorial, with the interior raised as a lawn, and the tower was restored in 1999. The graveyard contains monuments from the 17th, 18th and 19th centuries. This image taken from the main road was supplied by Donald Fullarton.
|
|

Luss Parish Church1065 viewsLuss Parish Church, circa 1907. This picturesque village church, the third on this site on the banks of Loch Lomond, was built by Sir James Colquhoun in 1875 in the memory of his father who died along with five ghillies in a drowning accident off Inchtavannach. It has beautiful stained glass windows and a uniquely timbered roof, featured frequently in the TV soap 'Take the High Road', and has also hosted many celebrity weddings. The ancient graveyard has 15 listed ancient monuments, the earliest lie at the main entrance to the church, two slabs, each with a simple cross from the 7th or 8th century.
|
|

Shandon Church1065 viewsShandon Church with the start of the pier opposite, circa 1908. It became linked with Rhu Church in 1954, which led to full union in 1971. It ceased to be a church in 1981, and was converted into dwellings.
|
|

Cardross Old Parish Church1065 viewsThe church, the second on the site, was built in 1826 to designs by Greenock architect George Dempster. It was destroyed by incendiary bombs dropped by German bombers over the night of May 5-6 1941. The tower and walls were made safe in 1954 as a memorial, with the interior raised as a lawn, and the tower was restored in 1999. The graveyard contains monuments from the 17th, 18th and 19th centuries.
|
|

Sunday School trip-11064 viewsA Sunday School outing from Helensburgh's St Bride's Church to Balmaha in June 1930. Image supplied by Chrissie Clow.
|
|

Cardross Old Parish Church1061 viewsThe church, the second on the site, was built in 1826 to designs by Greenock architect George Dempster. It was destroyed by incendiary bombs dropped by German bombers over the night of May 5-6 1941. The tower and walls were made safe in 1954 as a memorial, with the interior raised as a lawn, and the tower was restored in 1999. The graveyard contains monuments from the 17th, 18th and 19th centuries. This image taken from the rear was supplied by Donald Fullarton.
|
|

St Mahew's Chapel1052 viewsThe Chapel of St Mahew at Kirkton of Kilmahew, Cardross. For many years a derelict graveyard surrounding the ruin of a small mediaeval chapel, the land became the property of the Archdiocese of Glasgow in 1948, and they decided to restore the ruined chapel. The work began in 1953, under the direction of Ian G.Lindsay and Partners of Edinburgh, and was brought to a successful conclusion within the Octave of the Ascension, May 22 1955, when the Archbishop of Glasgow, the Most Rev Donald A.Campbell, DD, celebrated in it the first Pontifical Mass after a lapse of some four centuries. It is structurally the church which was built in 1467, but a small vestry was added.
|
|
|
|