| Most viewed - Religion |

West Kirk interior1154 viewsAn early picture of the interior of St Andrew's Church of Scotland, then Old and St Andrew's, then the West Kirk, and now Helensburgh Parish Church. Image supplied by a former minister of the church, the Rev David Clark.
|
|

Sunday School outing1153 viewsSome of the young people who attended the St Michael and All Angels Church, Helensburgh, Sunday School outing in 1929. Image supplied by Sue Taylor.
|
|

1892 Leiper Porch1151 viewsA ceremony taking place during the construction of the William Leiper Porch at the West Free Church (now Helensburgh Parish Church) in mid-1982. The porch was built as a memorial to the Rev Alexander Anderson, minister of the church, who died in 1891. On the platform are two choirs and church dignitaries, and a large crowd are watching. On a ladder can be seen the name of local painting and decorating firm J.W.McCulloch who were in business in Colquhoun Square until a few years ago. Image by kind permission of Helensburgh Parish Church.
|
|

Kilcreggan Church1150 viewsThis small corrugated iron church at Kilcreggan was opened for public worship on May 30 1869, and later became a garage. It stood at the junction of the old Fort Road and the main road called the Ferry Brae, with the Ferry Cottage shown on the left part way up the hill. It was Free Church of Scotland and had no organ to sing to. Instead the Precentor struck a tuning fork to give the congregration the right key to start the hymn singing. Before the Reformation another church existed almost on the same site.
|
|

General Booth in Burgh1148 viewsGeneral William Booth, founder of the Salvation Army, visited Helensburgh on October 26 1910 to give a lecture in the Victoria Hall, staying overnight with the Kidston family at Ferniegair. He is pictured at Helensburgh pier the next day before leaving for Port Glasgow, with Provost David S.Maclachlan saying farewell. The gentleman in the bowler hat is the Lord Lieutenant of Dunbartonshire, Lord Inverclyde. Image supplied by Provost Billy Petrie.
|
|

Sketch of St Bride's Church1135 viewsA sketch of St Bride's Church, which stood in West King Street at the junction with John Street. It is from the book 'Sketches of Churches and Clergy, published by Macneur and Bryden Ltd. of Helensburgh in 1889. Originally known as the West Parish Church, St Bride's Church was opened on March 10 1878. Its first minister was the Rev John Baird, father of TV inventor John Logie Baird. In 1981 it was united with the then Old and St Andrew's Church in Colquhoun Square to become the West Kirk, and a few years later it was demolished and replaced by a new burgh library and flats.
|
|

Row (Rhu) Parish Church1129 viewsRow (Rhu) Parish and War Memorial. From a postcard published by Winton, Stationer, Post Office, Row. Image date unknown.
|
|

St Andrew's Church Junior Choir1128 viewsThe Junior Choir of the then St Andrew's Church (now Helensburgh Parish Church) is pictured about 1961. The choir was conducted by Mrs McIntyre (wife of Jim McIntyre of Dow's meat counter) and then by Mrs Rita Peoples. Image supplied by Alistair Quinlan.
|
|

Helensburgh Bethesda1128 viewsThe Bethesda Evangelical Church sprang from the same origins as the Baptist Church, and its persuasion is that of the Open Christian Brethren. In 1931 Bethesda Hall at 30 Colquhoun Street was bought, and it remains in service.Photo by Professor John Hume.
|
|

St Michael's Church1127 viewsSir Robert Rowan Anderson, a pupil of George Gilbert Scott, designed St Michael and All Angels Scottish Episcopal Church, at the corner of William Street and West Princes Street, and maintained an interest in the subsequent decorative additions. Amongst the important contributors to the cost of its erection in 1867 was William Gladstone. Image published by M.C.Robertson, West End Library, Helensburgh, circa 1912.
|
|

Tarbet Church1115 viewsThe former Ballyhennan Church near Tarbet is now the Ben Lomond cafe and craft shop. In the parish of Arrochar after the Disruption there was soon practical evidence of the spirit of evangelical fervour, and money poured in for a building fund. After an open-air Communion Service on the first Sunday of August, 1843, it was decided to petition the Free Church Presbytery for sanction to build a church and call a minister. A contract for building was entered with Dunoon builder Alexander Stewart for a church to seat 250 at £240 sterling. Work began on January 10 1844, and finished on April 11 1844. The Rev Colin Mackenzie was inducted to the Parish at Balhennan (now Ballyhennan) a week later. It ceased to be a church in 1966. Image date unknown.
|
|

Arrochar Church1111 viewsThe present Arrochar Parish Church was built in 1847, but it had fallen into such a bad state of repair that in 1998 it was declared to be too dangerous to enter. However the community worked tirelessly to change this situation, with the result that it was reopened for worship in the following year. The parish of Arrochar was established in 1659, but no church was built until 1773 and the ruins of this earlier church stand alongside the present church. Photo by Professor John Hume.
|
|
|
|