Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search
Choose your language:

Home > Heritage > Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery > Transport — Steamers

Most viewed - Transport — Steamers
PS_Industry301.jpg
PS Industry722 viewsThis painting shows the early Clyde Shipping Company paddle steamer Industry in 1815. It appeared on a postcard published in 1990 to mark 175 years of the company and Glasgow being European City of Culture. Launched in 1814, she became the seventh steamboat to service the Clyde, mainly carrying luggage and cargo between Greenock and Glasgow, but also serving as one of the Clyde’s first tugs. Her career spanned over half a century and prior to her retirement she was the oldest steamer operating on the Clyde.
PS_Waverley_(1st)299.jpg
The first Waverley711 viewsThe first paddle steamer Waverley, built by A. & J.Inglis at Pointhouse, Glasgow, in 1899, was bombed and sunk at Dunkirk on May 30 1940 — the 41st anniversary of her launch date — as HMS Waverley, and 350 officers men lost their lives. The 537 ton North British Steam Packet Company vessel was purchased in 1902 by the North British Railway and in 1923 by the London and North Eastern Railway. Image circa 1925.
Marmion-at-Arrochar-w.jpg
S.S. Marmion690 viewsAn early image of the Clyde paddle steamer Marmion leaving Arrochar. The 403 ton vessel was launched on May 5 1906 by A and J Inglis at Pointhouse, Glasgow, and placed on the Loch Goil and Arrochar service for the North British SP. She was requisitioned for mineweeping duty at Dover from 1915 as HMS Marmion II, and returned to the Clyde for the 1920 season, then was laid up for a redesign. She returned to service in 1926 as an all-year-round vessel, was reboilered in 1932, then again was requisitioned for war service. She was stationed at Harwich and survived the Dunkirk evacuations, but was sunk by enemy bombers at Harwich on the night of April 8 1941. Later she was raised and scrapped.
Redgauntlet~0.jpg
Steamer then minesweeper659 viewsThe Clyde steel paddle steamer Redgauntlet, built in 1895 for the North British Steam Packet Co. at Craigendoran and launched on April 4, is pictured at the Isle of May. She was built by Barclay, Curle & Co. Ltd., Glasgow, at their Clydeholm Yard, and in May 1909 passed to the Galloway Saloon Steam Packet Co. for its Firth of Forth service. On May 4 1916 she was requisitioned by the Admiralty for use as a minesweeper and was based in Grimsby and commissioned as HMS Redgauntlet II. The following year she was bought by the Royal Navy, and two years later sold to French owners and registered in Algeria. It is believed that she was scrapped in 1934.
Kenilworth-Craigendoran-w.jpg
PS Kenilworth511 viewsA 390-ton paddle steamer built in 1898 by A. & J.Inglis at Pointhouse for the North British Steam Packet Company, she operated on the Clyde until 1937, serving initially on the Craigendoran to Rothesay route. She was refurbished and reboilered in 1915 and saw limited World War One service from 1917-19 as a minesweeper on the South Coast. Upon her return in 1936 she was the first of the Craigendoran fleet to acquire the grey hull and reopened the Arrochar excursion service. Retired in 1937, she was broken up the following year at the yard where she had been constructed. Image circa 1936.
Steamer_Garelochhead.jpg
Steamer at Garelochhead313 viewsA 1906 image of a steamer — probably the Lucy Ashton — berthed at Garelochhead Pier.
1911-Craigendoran-storm-w.jpg
Craigendoran storm229 viewsGales lash Craigendoran station and pier in 1911. Image supplied by Malcolm LeMay.
Lucy-Ashton-test-bed-w.jpg
Lucy Ashton as test bed201 viewsThe steamer Lucy Ashton operated the Craigendoran - Gareloch - Greenock service from the early 1900s until she was withdrawn during the Second World War. In 1949 she was sold for scrap, but received a last minute reprieve when the British Shipbuilding Research Association converted her to a jet-powered hull to conduct resistance experiments to analyse the impact of drag and friction on a full-scale ship hull. She was fitted with four Rolls-Royce Derwent V engines, which would not disturb the water in the same way as a propeller and shaft, then was scrapped in 1951. Photo by courtesy of Helensburgh Memories on Facebook.
Steamer_at_Craigendoran-w.jpg
Lucy Ashton198 viewsThe paddle steamer Lucy Ashton berthed at Craigendoran pier. Image circa 1910.
Craigendoran2C_s-finest2C-JEANIE-DEANS-the-LNER-Clyde-paddler-launched-on-April-7th-1931-at-the-Fairfield-yard_.jpg
Jeanie launch173 viewsThe much loved LNER Clyde paddle steamer launched on April 7 1931 at the Fairfield yard at Govan. She was extensively refitted after war service, and remained a passenger favourite on cruises from Craigendoran until the end of the 1964 season. The next year she went to the Thames and was renamed 'Queen of the South'. She was broken up in Antwerp, Belgium, in 1967. Photo by courtesy of Paul Strathdee.
Lucy-Ashton-c_1910-w.jpg
Lucy Ashton167 viewsThe Lucy Ashton at Craigendoran Pier, c.1910. Image courtesy of Helensburgh Memories.
Portincaple_pier.jpg
Loch Long pier166 viewsA steamer calls at what is said to have been Portincaple pier, but is more likely to be the old Finnart pier. Image date unknown.
89 files on 8 page(s) 7