Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search
Choose your language:

Home > Heritage > Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery > Transport — Steamers

Most viewed - Transport — Steamers
Lucy_Ashton_at_war276.jpg
Lucy Ashton at war789 viewsThe 271-ton Lucy Ashton was launched on May 24 1888 by T.B.Seath at Rutherglen. She began on the Holy Loch run but later became more familiar on the Gareloch service from Craigendoran. She remained on the Clyde throughout both world wars, and is pictured on the Clyde during the Second World War. She made her last run in February 1949. Her stripped down hull saw further experimental use by the British Shipbuilding Research Association, including being fitted with a jet engine.
PS_Talisman061.jpg
PS Talisman783 viewsThe North British steamer Talisman, built in 1896 by A. & J.Inglis at Pointhouse, Glasgow, for the Craigendoran to Rothesay route. Undertook World War One service as HMS Talla sweeping mines at Troon and Portsmouth. On refit after the war, the deck saloon was extended the full width of the hull and the bridge was moved forward of the funnel. She was on the Rothesay and Kyles of Bute service until the end of the 1934 season, and then was scrapped at Barrow. Image circa 1920.
Redgauntlet.jpg
Redgauntlet782 viewsThe Clyde paddle steamer Redgauntlet saw service as a World War One minesweeper. Built by Barclay Curle in 1895 for the North British Railway, she served on the Craigendoran to Rothesay route. In August 1899 she ran on to rocks off Arran in a gale and was badly holed, but the captain ran her up the beach so that crew and passengers could be rescued. After repairs, she was moved to the Forth in 1909 and then sold to the Galloway Steam Packet Company. Later she went to Algeria and was broken up about 1934.
Chancellor-steamer136~2.jpg
PS Chancellor773 viewsThe 272-ton paddle steamer Chancellor, built by R.Chambers, Dumbarton, for the Loch Goil and Loch Long Steamboat Company for the Arrochar service. Sold in 1901 to interests at Ferrol, Spain, and renamed Commercio.
SS_Talisman.jpg
SS Kenilworth769 viewsA 390-ton paddle steamer built in 1898 by A. & J.Inglis at Pointhouse for the North British Steam Packet Company, she operated on the Clyde until 1937, serving initially on the Craigendoran to Rothesay route. She was refurbished and reboilered in 1915 and saw limited World War One service from 1917-19 as a minesweeper on the South Coast. Upon her return she reopened the Arrochar excursion service. Retired in 1937, she was broken up the following year at the yard where she had been constructed.
Waverley-at-Craigendoran~0.jpg
Waverley at Craigendoran759 viewsThe steamer Waverley at Craigendoran pier in 1968, with part of the Caledonia in view. Built by A. & J.Inglis at Pointhouse, Glasgow in 1946, the 693-ton Waverley entered service in 1947 and is the world's last sea-going paddler. She replaced the first Waverley, built in 1899 and sunk at Dunkirk in 1940, and cruised the Clyde until 1973 for Caledonian-MacBrayne. In 1974 she was sold to the Paddle Steamer Preservation Society and re-entered service in 1975. She calls regularly at Helensburgh in summer.
waverley-2012-w.jpg
Waverley 2012743 viewsHelensburgh photographer Brian Averell took this stunning image of the paddle steamer Waverley heading down river from the pedestrian walkway on the Erskine Bridge in July 2012, and it is reproduced here with his permission. Built by A. & J.Inglis at Pointhouse, Glasgow in 1946, the 693-ton Waverley entered service in 1947 and is the world's last sea-going paddler. She replaced the first Waverley, built in 1899 and sunk at Dunkirk in 1940, and cruised the Clyde until 1973 for Caledonian-MacBrayne. In 1974 she was sold to the Paddle Steamer Preservation Society and re-entered service in 1975. She calls regularly at Helensburgh in summer.
PS-Redgauntlet-w.jpg
Redgauntlet742 viewsThe Clyde paddle steamer Redgauntlet saw service as a World War One minesweeper. Built by Barclay Curle in 1895 for the North British Railway, she served on the Craigendoran to Rothesay route. In August 1899 she ran on to rocks off Arran in a gale and was badly holed, but the captain ran her up the beach so that crew and passengers could be rescued. After repairs, she was moved to the Forth in 1909 and then sold to the Galloway Steam Packet Company. Later she went to Algeria and was broken up about 1934. Image circa 1925.
Steamer_leaves_Tarbet047.jpg
Leaving Tarbet pier737 viewsA steamer — identity unknown — leaves Tarbet pier, looking north on Loch Lomond. Image circa 1920.
Staff-at-Rhu-Pier-w.jpg
Rhu Pier staff735 viewsStaff and passengers wait at Rhu Pier. Image date unknown.
On-board-Waverley-1920.jpg
1920 Waverley cruise723 viewsPassengers on board the paddle steamer Waverley on a cruise from Craigendoran in 1920. Photo by courtesy of Professor Graham Lappin's excellent pictorial website www.dalmadan.com.
PS_Industry301.jpg
PS Industry721 viewsThis painting shows the early Clyde Shipping Company paddle steamer Industry in 1815. It appeared on a postcard published in 1990 to mark 175 years of the company and Glasgow being European City of Culture. Launched in 1814, she became the seventh steamboat to service the Clyde, mainly carrying luggage and cargo between Greenock and Glasgow, but also serving as one of the Clyde’s first tugs. Her career spanned over half a century and prior to her retirement she was the oldest steamer operating on the Clyde.
88 files on 8 page(s) 6