Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search
Choose your language:

Home > Heritage > Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery > Transport — Steamers

Most viewed - Transport — Steamers
Dandie_Dinmont_at_Shandon.jpg
Dandie Dinmont at Shandon Pier1130 viewsThe 195 feet 218 ton Dandie Dinmont, the second steamer to bear the name, was built in 1895 by A. and J.Inglis at Pointhouse, Glasgow, for the North British Steam Packet Company for use on the Craigendoran to Dunoon and Holy Loch routes, and remained on station during World War One. After being laid up in 1926 and 1927, the following year she went to the London and North Eastern Railway for the Hull to Holland ferry service and was renamed PS Frodingham. She was broken up in Belgium in 1936.
Craigendoran-pier-1890s.jpg
Craigendoran steamers1114 viewsCraigendoran pier in the late 1890s, with the steamers Red Gauntlet, Lady Clare and Dandie Dinmont.
Jeanie_Deans_at_Craigendoran.jpg
Jeanie Deans at Craigendoran1108 viewsThe paddle steamer Jeanie Deans was built by Fairfield at Govan and launched in 1931, then extensively refitted after war service. She remained a passenger favourite on cruises from Craigendoran until the end of the 1964 season. The next year she went to the Thames and was renamed 'Queen of the South'. She was broken up in Antwerp, Belgium, in 1967. Image circa 1949.
Image1-154.jpg
Loch Lomond steamer1084 viewsA Loch Lomond steamer, possibly the SS Prince George, meets the train at Balloch Pier, circa 1917.
Duchess_of_Argyll2021.jpg
TS Duchess of Argyll1080 viewsThe 593-ton turbine steamer Duchess of Argyll was built by William Denny & Brothers at Dumbarton in 1906 for the Ardrossan to Arran run. Requisitioned as a transport ship in World War One, she returned to service in the 1919 season, making the Kyles of Bute and Arran run her own. She moved to the long cruises to Inveraray and Campbeltown in 1936, returned to the Kyles of Bute run after the war, and was sold in 1952 to the Admiralty for experimental work at Portland. She was scrapped at Newhaven in 1970.
Steamers-at-Craigendoran-w.jpg
Steamers at Craigendoran1064 viewsA 1933 picture of most of the LNER fleet at Craigendoran. The two which can be seen least well are the Lucy Ashton and the Jeanie Deans, while in the centre are the Talisman and the Marmion. The steamer terminal and station opened for business under the North British Railway on May 15 1882, and steamer services were finally withdrawn in 1972. The piers have since become derelict, and on the firth side of the line the station buildings are long gone.
Jeanie_Deans_at_Arrochar.jpg
Jeanie Deans at Arrochar996 viewsThe popular paddle steamer Jeanie Deans leaves Arrochar, circa 1931. She was built by Fairfield at Govan and launched in 1931, then extensively refitted after war service. She remained a passenger favourite on cruises from Craigendoran until the end of the 1964 season. The next year she went to the Thames and was renamed 'Queen of the South'. She was broken up in Antwerp, Belgium, in 1967.
Kenilworth2883.jpg
PS Kenilworth993 viewsA 390-ton paddle steamer built in 1898 by A. & J.Inglis at Pointhouse for the North British Steam Packet Company, she operated on the Clyde until 1937, serving initially on the Craigendoran to Rothesay route. She was refurbished and reboilered in 1915 and saw limited World War One service from 1917-19 as a minesweeper on the South Coast. Upon her return she reopened the Arrochar excursion service. Retired in 1937, she was broken up the following year at the yard where she had been constructed.
Waverley_and_Balmoral.jpg
Waverley and Balmoral990 viewsThe Paddle Steamer Waverley, built in 1947 on the Clyde, and Classic Cruise Ship Balmoral, built in 1949 in Southampton, were together in dry dock for the first time ever on April 18 2012. The Garvel Clyde Dry Dock in Greenock was playing host to these ships, which this year are celebrating 200 years of commercial steam navigation, with the anniversary of Henry Bell’s Comet which was built in Port Glasgow.
Loch_Lomond_Frozen_1963.jpg
Frozen steamer965 viewsThe Maid of the Loch steamer is ice-bound beside the pier at Balloch, Loch Lomond, in the big freeze of 1963. People can be seen standing on the ice at the end of the pier. Photo by Iain Duncan.
Waverley-at-Craigendoran.jpg
Waverley at Craigendoran962 viewsBuilt by A. & J.Inglis at Pointhouse, Glasgow in 1946, the 693-ton Waverley entered service in 1947 and is the world's last sea-going paddler. She replaced the previous Waverley, built in 1899 and sunk at Dunkirk in 1940, andcruised to all parts of the Clyde Estuary until withdrawn after the 1973 season by Caledonian-MacBrayne. Next year she was sold to the Paddle Steamer Preservation Society and re-entered service in 1975 with support from local authorities. She is pictured at Craigendoran pier in 1972.
First_PS_Waverley032.jpg
The first PS Waverley956 viewsThe first paddle steamer Waverley, built by A. & J.Inglis at Pointhouse, Glasgow, in 1899, was bombed and sunk at Dunkirk on May 30 1940 — the 41st anniversary of her launch date — as HMS Waverley, and 350 officers men lost their lives. The 537 ton North British Steam Packet Company vessel was purchased in 1902 by the North British Railway and in 1923 by the London and North Eastern Railway. This image, date unknown, shows her off Helensburgh.
88 files on 8 page(s) 2