Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search
Choose your language:

Home > Heritage > Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery > Places — District

Most viewed - Places — District
Gareloch-from-Rosneath-w.jpg
Gareloch from Rosneath759 viewsTwo ladies admire the view of the Gareloch from Rosneath. Image date unknown.
High_Road_Glen_Fruin.jpg
Glen Fruin High Road759 viewsA 1906 image of Glen Fruin, looking down the hill at the west end of the glen.
Manse-Brae,-Rhu.jpg
Manse Brae, Rhu758 viewsAn old image of what was then known as Post Office Road, Rhu — now Manse Brae. Image by courtesy of Jim Shields.
Garelochhead_from_west.jpg
Garelochhead from west756 viewsLooking down to Garelochhead village from the hillside on the west side of the Gareloch. Image date unknown.
Rhu-Village~0.jpg
Rhu Village754 viewsLooking down on Rhu village and Rhu Bay from the drive of Woodstone Court, circa 1959.
Mill_Brae,_Kilcreggan.jpg
Mill Brae, Kilcreggan754 viewsA view of the lower part of the Mill Brae, the steep hill down into Kilcreggan. The low wooden house was for many years the home of Mrs Lucy Rickerman, who lived to the age of 105 before her death in 1980 and was the only person to be awarded the title of Burgess of the Burgh of Cove and Kilcreggan. She was also the oldest person ever to live in Helensburgh and district. Image circa 1962.
Ardgartan_Youth_Hostel.jpg
Ardgartan Youth Hostel754 viewsArdgartan Youth Hostel, three miles from Arrochar on the west side of Loch Long, is seen with the Cobbler in the background. The Scottish Youth Hostels Association obtained the hostel, which sleeps over 100, from the King George's Jubilee Trust, which purchased it in 1936. Originally Ardgartan House, a private mansion built by Campbell of Strachur, it was closed in 1968, and replaced with a more modern building. Image date unknown.
Auchendennan2451.jpg
Auchendennan752 viewsAuchendennan House was from 1945 to 2013 a Youth Hostel and is reputed to have its own ghost. This view, circa 1956, shows Loch Lomond and Inchmurrin island beyond. Used for hunting by Robert the Bruce when he lived at Cardross, and then a church possession of Dunbarton, Auchendennan was feued about the time of Flodden to one of the Dennistouns, Andrew of Cardross, whose descendants held it for 100 years and then the Napiers of Kilmahew for another 100 years. The present mansion was built in 1867 by Glasgow merchant George Martin, and it is now back in private ownership.
Rhu-Spit016.jpg
Rhu Spit751 viewsA view of the Gareloch from above Rhu. Image date unknown, circa early 1900s.
Glen_Fruin_cattle.jpg
Glen Fruin751 viewsCattle in Glen Fruin, looking west from near the Black Bridge. Image pre-1945, but date unknown.
Garelochhead_from_station-2.jpg
Garelochhead from station750 viewsA 1907 image of Garelochhead seem from the station.
Blairnairn-Glen-Fruin.jpg
Blairnairn Cottage in Glen Fruin749 viewsLooking west in Glen Fruin towards Blairnairn at harvest time. Image date unknown.
251 files on 21 page(s) 8