Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search
Choose your language:

Home > Heritage > Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery > Places — District

Most viewed - Places — District
Clynder.jpg
Clynder781 viewsAn old view of the beach and lochside houses at Clynder. Image supplied by Eleanor Evans; image date unknown.
Craigs-pool-w.jpg
Craigs Pool781 viewsA view of the most popular summer picnic area in Glen Fruin, Craigs Pool.No apostrophe required, because it is not the pool belonging to, or associated with, anyone called Craig. As with Craigendoran (meaning ‘rock of the otter’) the craigs referred to are the big flagstones on the bottom of the pool. Craig is Gaelic for stone or rock and it is where the word crag or craggy comes from. Image, circa 2006, supplied by Gordon Fraser.
Rosneath-Ferry-Inn3995.jpg
The Ferry Inn780 viewsThe famous Ferry Inn at Rosneath, circa 1910. The Edwin Lutyens-designed building was commissioned by Queen Victoria's daughter Princess Louise, the Dowager Duchess of Argyll, in the 1890s and rebuilt from an old pub. Bob Hope stayed there while entertaining troops at the nearby World War Two naval base. It fell into disuse, but was rebuilt again in the late 1950s by boatbuilder Peter Boyle.
Arrochar_pier.jpg
Arrochar Pier and Loch Long780 viewsTwo steamers are berthed at Arrochar Pier, which was built in 1850 and used to service several steamers daily with visitors from Glasgow. On the other side of the loch is the torpedo testing station. Image circa 1920.
Rosneath-Castle3974~0.jpg
Rosneath Castle779 viewsA view of Rosneath Castle from across the bay at Clynder, circa 1960. Completed in 1806 by London-based architect Joseph Bonomi, this neo-classical mansion replaced a castle burnt down in 1802. It was used as a military hospital during the First World War and was home to Queen Victoria's daughter Princess Louise, the Dowager Duchess of Argyll, until her death in 1939. It was an HQ for the Rosneath Naval Base in World War Two, then abandoned, then damaged by fire in 1947, and demolished in 1961.
Cardross_Parish_Church.jpg
Cardross Parish Church779 viewsAn old image of Kirkbrae and the original Cardross Parish Church which was destroyed by German bombs in May 1941. Image, date unknown, supplied by Archie McIntyre.
Ardenconnel_Avenue.jpg
Ardenconnel, Rhu777 viewsThe avenue leading up to Ardenconnel House at Rhu. Image published by The Post Office, Row, Gareloch, circa 1905.
Garelochhead-from-pier-w.jpg
Garelochhead from pier774 viewsTwo boys play on the pier in this old view of Garelochhead published by M.C.Robertson of West End Library, Helensburgh. The pier, built in 1879, was demolished in 1992.
Shandon-Pier.jpg
Shandon Pier773 viewsA view of Shandon pier and the old Garelochside road, published by The Proprietor, Shandon Hotel, Shandon. Image date unknown.
Finnart-2.jpg
Loch Long773 viewsA view of Loch Long from above the BP Ocean Terminal at Finnart. Image, date unknown, from the collection of Stella Trainor, Ontario, Canada.
Rhu_village.jpg
Rhu from Rowmore773 viewsA 1957 image of the Rhu seafront homes and shops, taken from the grounds of Rowmore.
Kilcreggan_aerial.jpg
Kilcreggan from the air772 viewsAn aerial view of Kilcreggan and its pier. Image circa 1961.
251 files on 21 page(s) 6