Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search
Choose your language:

Home > Heritage > Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery > Places — District

Most viewed - Places — District
Whistlers_Glen06610.jpg
Whistler's Glen1375 viewsIllegal distilling was a feature in the Gareloch area until about 1830, and Whistler's Glen above Rhu was so named from the practice of signalling the approach of the Gauger or Exciseman. There was also a legitimate distillery at the foot of Whistler's Burn where Aldonaig now stands.
1909_Gareloch___Clynder.jpg
Clynder and the Gareloch1265 viewsA view of Clynder, Barremman Pier, and shipping moored in the Gareloch. Image circa 1909.
fruinbridge8.jpg
Black Bridge, Glen Fruin1110 viewsA photograph taken in the 1920s by keen amateur photographer Robert Thorburn, a Helensburgh grocery store manager. It shows the Black Bridge in Glen Fruin, with the schoolhouse in the background.
Inversnaid1535.jpg
Inversnaid Falls1110 viewsAn albumen photograph of the spectacular Falls of Inversnaid on the east side of Loch Lomond.
Gareloch_sunset.jpg
Gareloch sunset1049 viewsAn atmospheric image of a yacht moored in the Gareloch near Rhu at sunset, circa 1951.
Barremman_Pier1.jpg
End of the Pier Show995 viewsThe pier at Barremman, Clynder, built about 1877 on the instructions of Robert Thom, owner of Barremman Estate, was blown up by the Army in November 1967, using 2lbs of plastic explosive, as it was the cheapest way to demolish the pier, which had become unsafe. District Clerk William Swan pressed the plunger at the invitation of D.Smith of Construction and Marine Ltd., Garelochhead. Photo by Donald Fullarton.
Shandon_Hydro_Terrace1227.jpg
Shandon Hydro Terrace995 viewsOnly the towers on the left remain of Shandon Hydropathic Hotel. Originally West Shandon, this magnificent building was the home of Robert Napier, the greatest figure in Clyde shipbuilding and marine engineering in the mid-19th century. During World War One the Hydro became a hospital, and in World War Two it was used by the army. In 1951 it became a hotel again, but in 1957 it was closed and demolished.
Garelochhead_Hotel0744.jpg
Garelochhead Village975 viewsA view of the Garelochhead Hotel, burnt down some years ago, and the long demolished pier, circa 1905.
Shandon_Conservatory1064.jpg
Shandon Hydro Conservatory972 viewsThe Conservatory at Shandon Hydropathic Hotel. Originally West Shandon, this magnificent building was the home of Robert Napier, the greatest figure in Clyde shipbuilding and marine engineering in the mid-19th century. During World War One the Hydro became a hospital, and in World War Two it was used by the army. In 1951 it became a hotel again, but in 1957 it was closed and demolished. From the image collection of the late Nan Moir, of Cove.
Cardross-north-end5322.jpg
Cardross964 viewsThe north end of Cardross village. Image date unknown.
cornmill.jpg
Old Corn Mill952 viewsOld Corn Mill, Rosneath.
Postmarked 1910
Shandon_Hydro-21096.jpg
Shandon Hydropathic Hotel945 viewsOriginally West Shandon, this magnificent building was the home of Robert Napier, the greatest figure in Clyde shipbuilding and marine engineering in the mid-19th century. During World War One the Hydro became a hospital, and in World War Two it was used by the army. In 1951 it became a hotel again, but in 1957 it was closed and demolished. From the image collection of the late Nan Moir, of Cove.
251 files on 21 page(s) 1