Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search
Choose your language:

Last additions
JLB_21_08_30.jpg
Baird 1930100 viewsA Northcliffe Newspapers photo, dated August 21 1930, captioned: "Mr John L.Baird, of television fame."Dec 24, 2020
Bannachra_Castle~0.jpg
Bannachra Castle147 viewsA colour version of the ruins of Bannachra Castle on the Luss road from Helensburgh, between Cross Keys and Arden. The Castle was in roughly the shape of a parallelogram, 46 feet long and 24 feet wide, and was three storeys high with a barrel vaulted basement, a main or hall floor and an attic floor. It is currently owned by the Lumsden family, which has owned the lands on which the castle is since the 19th century. Reputed to be on the site of a former construction, it was probably built in the 16th century. Image c1940.Dec 24, 2020
Seafront_storm.jpg
Stormy waters168 viewsA 1904 image of a seafront storm seen from the balcony of the then Queen's Hotel.Dec 24, 2020
Bonar-Law-Paris.jpg
Peace delegate172 viewsA French image of Andrew Bonar Law, then Lord Privy Seal, as one of the five British delegates to the Paris Peace Conference held between January 12 1919 and January 21 1920 to devise the treaties that ended the First World War.Dec 23, 2020
Cardross_Free_Church.jpg
Cardross Free Church167 viewsThe original Free Church of Scotland in Cardross. Today there is a house called 'Kirklands' at the south side of Main Road just to the west of its junction with Bainfield Road, and the church was on the site of what is now the garage of that house. The present church building on Station Road was built in 1872 and served as the Free Church of Scotland until 1929 when the Church of Scotland and the Free Church were united. As there were now two C of S congregations the former Free Church was given the name 'Burns Church'. This was the case until after World War Two when the two congregations were united to form Cardross Parish Church in the present building.Dec 22, 2020
Rosneath-Shore-by-P_Kerr.jpg
Rosneath shore274 viewsAn etching of Rosneath shore and the Gareloch by Greenock-based artist Peter Kerr. The McLean Museum in Greenock has many of his paintings. Most of his landscapes were of the Clyde shores, and Cove and Kilcreggan. He was married to Catherine McMillan, born in Helensburgh in 1863, whose family owned the Teak and Ash. Image supplied by Malcolm LeMay, whose wife is a distant relative of the artist.Dec 16, 2020
Wee-Arrochar-w.jpg
Wee Arrochar173 viewsA special 'Wee Arrochar' train seen at Helensburgh Central Station. The local service, normally from Craigendoran to Arrochar, fell victim to the Beeching axe in June 1964. Image date unknown.Dec 13, 2020
St-Gildas-Church-w.jpg
St Gildas Church180 viewsThe Rosneath Catholic church, sited on part of the old Clachan House Estate, was designed as a representation of a ship under sail by Glasgow Architects Thomas Gardiner, Cunningham and Partners. The church was finished in March 1968 and named St Gildas in deference to the Church of Scotland whose church in Rosneath is St Modan's. Dec 13, 2020
St-Modan_s-old-church-w.jpg
Old St Modan's80 viewsThe ancient Rosneath St Modan's church was taken down in 1780, with the exception of the belfry which was preserved. It was on the site of the present pre-19th century parish church which is about 100 yards east of the old cemetery, which contains the ivy-covered ruins of the 18th century place of worship which itself succeeded a pre-Reformation structure. Image date unknown.Dec 13, 2020
Skating-Pond-w.jpg
Fun on ice100 viewsHelensburgh Skating Pond at the top of Sinclair Street in its heyday as a venue for skating and curling.The surroundings were refurbished with the aid of an EEC grant, but today it is full of weeds. Image date unknown.Dec 13, 2020
Garelochead-UF-Church-w.jpg
Garelochhead UF Church92 viewsA 1918 image of Garelochead showing the United Free Church, which existed from 1873-1938, and cattle in the burn.Dec 13, 2020
K22-w.jpg
K2268 viewsThe submarine K22 was originally the K13 which sank in the Gareloch on January 19 1917 during sea trials when an intake failed to close whilst diving and her engine room flooded. She was eventually salvaged and recommissioned as K22 in March 1917. Image date unknown.Dec 13, 2020
2165 files on 181 page(s) 7