Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search
Choose your language:

Last additions
Fruin-sheep-w~2.jpg
Glen Fruin flock224 viewsBlackface sheep in Glen Fruin in years gone by. Image date unknown.Mar 27, 2019
Hill-House-box-w.jpg
Hill House 'box'332 viewsAn artist's impression of a huge box being erected over the Charles Rennie Mackintosh mansion in Upper Colquhoun Street in 2019 so that works can take place to solve damp ingress. in a pioneering conservation programme. The box is a protective steel frame structure covered in chainmail mesh with walkways around the roof and over the house, allowing people to see the house as never before.Mar 26, 2019
Provost-Andrew-Buchanan-w.jpg
Provost Andrew Buchanan236 viewsAn image from the Helensburgh and Gareloch Times of Andrew Buchanan, who served as Provost of Helensburgh from 1930-36. He donated the outdoor swimming pool to the burgh, and paid for the refurbishment of the interior of the Victoria Halls, amongst many acts of generosity.Mar 13, 2019
Lucy-Ashton-c_1910-w.jpg
Lucy Ashton172 viewsThe Lucy Ashton at Craigendoran Pier, c.1910. Image courtesy of Helensburgh Memories.Mar 13, 2019
Ardgare-House-w.jpg
Ardgare House441 viewsImposing Ardgare House at Shandon before the building and land was cleared to start construction of the Ardgare housing estate with its 13 homes. The castellated curved wall round the stables (top right) still exists and forms the property boundary with No.10 Ardgare. Image c.1970 supplied by Ken Glen.Mar 11, 2019
Shandon-Hydropathic-share-w.jpg
Hydro share286 viewsAn 1894 share certificate for the Shandon Hydropathic Company. Image kindly supplied by courtesy of https://www.scripoworld.com/Mar 09, 2019
Rhu-water-trip.jpg
Waterworks trip223 viewsLocal worthies, including F.C.Buchanan of Rowmore, Rhu (left), celebrate the opening of a new dam and waterworks in the hills above the village, c.1896.Feb 10, 2019
Bonar-Law-1922-chess-w.jpg
Passion for chess346 viewsBonar Law was a great chess enthusiast, and was a highly rated player. He is pictured here at the London International Chess Congress in July and August of 1922 with the Mayor of Westminster, a few weeks before he became Prime Minister. The players were José Raúl Capablanca y Graupera, world champion in 1922, (left) and Machgielis Euwe. known to all as Max. Photo by courtesy of the Chess Scotland History Archive at www.chessscotland.com/documents/history/latest_additions.htm.Dec 27, 2018
Shipbreaking_Industries.jpg
Faslane shipbreaking485 viewsThe Shipbreaking Industries yard at Faslane, clearly illustrating that they broke up old railway locomotives as well as ships. After Faslane had been a military port in World War Two, at the end of 1945 the southern section was handed over to the Royal Navy who used it as a base for the Reserve Fleet. In August 1946 the rest was handed over to Metal Industries (later Shipbreaking Industries) for shipbreaking. Many famous vessels ended their days there, including the last four-funnelled liner, the Aquitania, the German battleship Derflinger which had been scuttled at Scapa Flow, and the last battleship built for the Royal Navy, HMS Vanguard. Image, date unknown, by courtesy of Stewart Noble.Nov 25, 2018
Cairndhu-GF-w.jpg
Cairndhu545 viewsThe magnificent William Leiper-designed Helensburgh seafront mansion Cairndhu, which is now boarded up, pictured in its heyday by Gordon Fraser. It was built for Glasgow businessman John Ure, who later became Lord Provost of Glasgow, in the style of a miniature French chateau, with stained glass windows by Daniel Cottier. The mansion remained a private home until the Second World War. In September 1940 it was requisitioned by the Royal Navy and became home to part of HMS Vernon, along with neighbouring Ardencaple Castle. for degaussing operations. In 1947 Cairndhu was returned to private ownership and became a hotel and then a nursing home.Nov 25, 2018
CHORD-seafront-w.jpg
CHORD project527 viewsARGYLL and Bute Council's Helensburgh's CHORD project, opened in 2015, involved over £7 million of investment in regenerating the town centre, making improvements to the town's public places, including wider pavements, better access to local shops, new parking bays, and new street furniture. This image by Gordon Fraser shows work in progress on laying the new pavement near the junction of West Clyde Street and William Street.Nov 25, 2018
2_the_Triangle.jpg
Burgh prefab568 viewsThe town had a number of prefab homes for several decades, and this one is 2 The Triangle, just behind the Victoria Infirmary and where Johnston Court is now. Image, date unknown, supplied by Helensburgh Memories member Paul Oakes.Aug 31, 2018
2179 files on 182 page(s) 22