Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search
Choose your language:

Last additions
municipalbuildings.jpg
Helensburgh Municipal Buildings1422 viewsIncluded a police station with cells, and a theatre above. Still used as official buildings - even has a postbox in the same place in front of the building. Could it be the same postbox?Oct 14, 2007
queenshotel.jpg
The Queen's Hotel1590 viewsThe Queen's Hotel was originally Baths House, built by Henry Bell, who built Europe's first commercial steamship the Comet in 1812. The building has had many alterations but still stands on East Clyde Street, having been converted into flats. Image date unknown.Oct 14, 2007
Old_Colquhoun_Square10.jpg
Colquhoun Square in the early 1900s1495 viewsThis picture shows one of two granite water fountains which stood in the square, and also the centenery monument in the centre of West Princes Street before it was moved to the north west quadrant for road safety reasons.Oct 13, 2007
madeleine_family8.jpg
NOT Madeleine Smith and her family1691 viewsThis picture appears in several books and is claimed to be Madeleine Smith who was tried in 1857 for the murder of her lover, Pierre Emile L’Angelier, and her family. However experts have concluded that, while it is an image of a Victorian family, it is definitely not the Smith family.Oct 13, 2007
madeleinesmithmono-w9.jpg
The Trial of Madeleine Smith1682 viewsONE of the great tales of Scottish Law is the trial of Madeleine Smith for murder after a love affair which mostly took place in Rhu.
Madeleine was tried for the murder of her lover, Pierre Emile L’Angelier, at the High Court in Edinburgh. The trial began on June 30 1857, and finished on July 9. The case was found not proven, a unique Scottish verdict.
Oct 13, 2007
Coronation_tree3.jpg
The Coronation Trees2814 viewsHelensburgh pupils planted trees to celebrate the Coronation of Queen Elizabeth in 1953. This Larchfield and St Bride's Schools — now Lomond School — group planted their tree on Stafford Street at James Street. From left: Heather Reid, Sheila Thom, Christopher Grieve, Catherine Burnet, Barbara Miller, Andrew Nicholson, Judith Read, the late Pat Wright, Hilda Dow, unknown girl, Susan Billings, Diana Heron, Hamish Brownlie, Alistair Martin, Donald Fullarton, the late Alan Miller.Oct 13, 2007
Drumfork_House4.jpg
Helensburgh's Oldest House2227 viewsThe town's oldest house is Drumfork House at Colgrain, which stood beside the path on which cattle were driven from Loch Lomondside to the Drumfork Ferry to be taken to market at Greenock. The house, which is at the east end of East King Street beyond the railway arch, was for a time the home of Colonel George Findlay V.C., a World War One hero. Photo by Donald Fullarton.Oct 13, 2007
GIS_(Peaty)7.jpg
Gregor Ian Smith983 viewsA portrait by Jon Peaty of well known Helensburgh artist Gregor Ian Smith. It is owned by Helensburgh and District Art Club, of which Gregor Ian was a leading member for many years.Oct 13, 2007
Ginger_beer6.jpg
Helensburgh Ginger Beer1145 viewsOld bottles used by Comrie & Co. who prepared High Class Waters and Old Scotch Brewed Ginger Beer at their Fairy Springs factory in James Street. Later it belonged to Garvie, who closed it in 1957.Oct 13, 2007
Sam_Bryden13.jpg
Provost Sam Bryden1373 viewsProvost Sam Bryden, as well as owning Macneur & Bryden's newsagent and gift shop in East Princes Street, Helensburgh, was also the man responsible for the erection of the centenary monument in Colquhoun Square.Oct 13, 2007
1912-HLTC-group-web1.jpg
Tennis in 19121273 viewsPlayers at Helensburgh Lawn Tennis Club in Suffolk Street in 1912.Oct 13, 2007
Norman_Glen-118.jpg
Helensburgh's Last Provost1620 viewsThe late Norman Glen CBE, the burgh's last Provost, plants a tree in Hermitage Park in November 2001, assisted by his daughters, Mrs Mary Pat Smith and Mrs Nancy Jackson. It replaced one he originally planted to mark the end of his term of office as Provost in 1975. The occasion helped to mark the launch of Helensburgh Tree Conservation Trust, formed by people anxious to preserve the burgh's treescape.Oct 13, 2007
2166 files on 181 page(s) 176