Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search
Choose your language:

Last additions
Barremman_Pier1.jpg
End of the Pier Show993 viewsThe pier at Barremman, Clynder, built about 1877 on the instructions of Robert Thom, owner of Barremman Estate, was blown up by the Army in November 1967, using 2lbs of plastic explosive, as it was the cheapest way to demolish the pier, which had become unsafe. District Clerk William Swan pressed the plunger at the invitation of D.Smith of Construction and Marine Ltd., Garelochhead. Photo by Donald Fullarton.Oct 19, 2007
Princess_Alexandra0223.jpg
Princess Alexandra1150 viewsHRH Princess Alexandra is pictured on a visit to the Lagarie Childrens Home at Rhu in the early 1970s.Oct 18, 2007
Happy_Marriage2.jpg
Happy Marriage916 viewsMembers of the cast of the Helensburgh Theatre Arts Club production of “The Happy Marriage” are pictured on stage in the Victoria Hall. Photo by Jack Gibson of the Blythswood Press Agency, Glasgow.Oct 18, 2007
Glen_Luss_bridge-52.jpg
The Ram's Head Bridge1845 viewsThis photo by Donald Fullarton shows the Ram's Head Bridge in Glen Luss, built in 1777 by William Johns, seen in winter with little vegetation. It was also known as the Tupp Bridge. Glen Luss was one of the first of the Highland glens to be cleared after the defeat of the Jacobites in 1745, with the people forced off the land and replaced by the Linton breed of black-faced sheep.Oct 17, 2007
Rosneath0175.jpg
Rosneath Peninsula993 viewsThis postcard was sent on April 22 1905 to Miss Edith Suckling, of Glenelg, Helensburgh, by someone called Campbell. On the front is written: “Having a fine day here, but awfully bothered with showers.” It shows the Edwin Lutyens-designed Ferry Inn, commissioned by Queen Victoria's daughter Princess Louise in the 1890s and rebuilt from an old pub. Bob Hope stayed there while entertaining troops at the nearby World War Two naval base. It fell into disuse, but was rebuilt again in the late 1950s by boatbuilder Peter Boyle.Oct 16, 2007
Queens_Hotel0184.jpg
The Queen's Hotel2355 viewsOriginally the Baths Hotel and home of Helensburgh's first Provost, steamship pioneer Henry Bell, the Queen's Hotel was built by Bell in 1806. It was converted into flats in the mid-1980s. In front of the front door is the Volvo estate car used for many years by the last manager, Norman Drummond. Image date unknown.Oct 16, 2007
Loch_Lomond_19010143.jpg
Loch Lomond 1901898 viewsOct 16, 2007
Ghd_steamer0162.jpg
Steamer at Garelochhead Pier1343 viewsA steamer is berthed at the pier at Garelochhead, probably the Lucy Ashton which called regularly from 1906 until the pier closed in 1939. Image circa 1905.Oct 16, 2007
Bobby_McGregor1.jpg
Olympic Medalist Bobby MacGregor1593 viewsHelensburgh-born Scottish and British champion and world record holder Bobby MacGregor gave a demonstration swim at the Helensburgh Swimming Club Gala in the outdoor pool in August 1964. Son of a former burgh pondmaster, he went on to take silver in the 100 metres freestyle at the Tokyo Olympics a few weeks later.
Now an architect, Bobby moved to Helensburgh some years ago.
Oct 16, 2007
CMJ_Ltd__photo0136.jpg
Day of the Sale1158 viewsThis was taken outside the Helensburgh Advertiser's East King Street premises in 1985 on the day the weekly newspaper was sold to Express Newspapers. It shows (from left) Helensburgh man Ronnie Fowler of Express Newspapers, an Express executive, founder Craig Jeffrey, Sir David McNee, Advertiser chief cashier Mrs Freda Aram from Garelochhead, another Express executive, co-owner Ronnie Jeffrey, and managing editor Donald Fullarton.Oct 15, 2007
CRM_postcard4.jpg
Detail from Hill House941 viewsThis study of a stencilled wallpaper in Mackintosh's Hill House at the top of Upper Colquhoun Street was taken by Colin Baxter for the book 'Remembering Charles Rennie Mackintosh' by Alistair Moffat, published in 1989 by Seven Hill Books, and is copyright Colin Baxter Photography.Oct 15, 2007
Park_mansion.jpg
Hermitage House2234 viewsHome of the Cramb family who sold what was then called Cramb Park to the Town Council in 1911 for £3,750. During World War One it was used as an auxiliary hospital, before becoming an annexe to Hermitage School. After 1926 it became a council workshop and store, and it was eventually demolished in 1963.Oct 15, 2007
2166 files on 181 page(s) 173