Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search
Choose your language:

Last additions
Red_Cross0739.jpg
Helensburgh Red Cross1162 viewsMembers of Helensburgh Red Cross at a lecture in the Red Cross Hall in East Princes Street in February 1969. The man on the left is the late Ian Macneil who was involved with both the Red Cross and St Andrew's Ambulance Association in the local area for many years. The boy is Billy Irvine, at that time a Hermitage Primary School pupil aged about 10.Nov 12, 2007
Whistlers_Glen06610.jpg
Whistler's Glen1375 viewsIllegal distilling was a feature in the Gareloch area until about 1830, and Whistler's Glen above Rhu was so named from the practice of signalling the approach of the Gauger or Exciseman. There was also a legitimate distillery at the foot of Whistler's Burn where Aldonaig now stands.Nov 12, 2007
Army_Exercise0671.jpg
On Exercise1050 viewsAn RAF helicopter brings troops for an Army exercise on the snow clad hills above the Gareloch in February 1970.Nov 12, 2007
Churchill_Opening0682.jpg
Churchill Opening1081 viewsThe Lord Lieutenant of Dunbartonshire, Brigadier Robert Arbuthnott, meets the first tenants at the official opening of the Churchill naval married quarters estate in May 1969.Nov 12, 2007
Funeral_Carriage0653.jpg
Funeral Carriage961 viewsA new funeral carriage is proudly displayed outside the Sinclair Street premises of Waldie & Co., Motor and Carriage Hirers. Date unknown.Nov 12, 2007
Garelochhead_Hotel0744.jpg
Garelochhead Village975 viewsA view of the Garelochhead Hotel, burnt down some years ago, and the long demolished pier, circa 1905.Nov 12, 2007
Gregory_Peck0725.jpg
Star Guest1240 viewsFilm star Gregory Peck chats to two ratings on a visit to the Faslane Polaris submarine HMS Repulse. Date unknown.Nov 12, 2007
Image1-55.png
Colquhoun Square pre-19331164 viewsThis picture shows the road in to the right which existed, like the other quadrants, until that one quadrant was pedestrianised. The road in to the left led to Pender's Garage, as well as the Post Office.Nov 12, 2007
Cardross_SWRI_Play0633.jpg
Cardross SWRI Drama871 viewsThe cast of the Cardross SWRI production of 'A Question of Colour', performed at the Geilston Hall, Cardross, as part of the Dunbartonshire SWRI One Act Drama Festival in February 1969. In the cast were Helen Clark, Mona Hutchison, Marion Campbell, Elizabeth Gray, Elsie Carroll, Christina McGeorge and Irene Auchinleck.Nov 11, 2007
Council_Water_Trip0584.jpg
Council Water Trip1177 viewsHelensburgh Town Council members and officials on the steps of the Municipal Buildings in East Princes Street before the last ever Water Trip in April 1968. It was the first trip for 17 years, and was a month before responsibility for the town's water passed to the Lower Clyde Water Board. The water scheme was inaugurated 100 years earlier. Pictured from left are George Primrose, Councillors Norman Glen and Edith Garty, Burgh Surveyor Jim McColm and behind him Parks Superintendent Tom McColl, Councillors John Langan, James Urquhart and behind him Ian Johnson, Provost J.McLeod Williamson and at the back Town Clerk Robert Mackay, Burgh Chamberlain Philip Mill and behind him Councillor Jae Gardiner, Bailie Alex Gillespie and ?, ?, ?.Nov 11, 2007
Motorman_s_Trip0576.jpg
Motormen's Outing968 viewsHelensburgh motormen leaving for their annual trip from the Waldie & Co. motor and carriage hirers premises in Sinclair Street, circa 1917. Seeing off the party is John Hamilton of Waldies, and the carriage is being driven by Mr Reynolds, who often drove this carriage and was also the firm's undertaker.Nov 11, 2007
Plaza_Ballroom0597.jpg
The Plaza Ballroom1130 viewsThe Plaza Ballroom at 23 John Street opened in 1927 and was very popular with British and American servicemen during World War Two who knew it as the 'Honky Tonk'. Eventually the site was bought by the Town Council, and in 1970 it was demolished and flats built on the site. From 1913-27 it was the Cine Electric Picture House, closing because of competition from other cinemas.Nov 11, 2007
2179 files on 182 page(s) 167