Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search
Choose your language:

Last additions
40th-Anniversary-w.jpg
40th anniversary211 viewsThe Helensburgh and District branch of the Royal Scottish Country Dance Society held its 40th anniversary party at the Commodore Hotel in 1992. Back row from left: Tom McInally, Tom Tudhope, Jessie Gilvear, George Rennie, Allan Carrie; middle row: Tom Savage, Moira Thomson, Margaret Savage, Dorothy Capstick, Dorothy Reid, Alma Traill, Anne Thorn, Dargie Henderson; seated: Norah Dunn and Sue Ashby. Image supplied by Anne Thorn.
Apr 11, 2020
Badminton-c1970-w.jpg
Champions all183 viewsHelensburgh and district badminton champions c.1970. Back row from left: Donald Grant, Robert Burns, Isobel Campbell, Ronnie Trail, Robert Watt; front: Freda Araqm, Morag Carlaw, Jean Masters, May MacKinnon. Image supplied by Anne Thorn.Apr 11, 2020
Craigendoran2C_s-finest2C-JEANIE-DEANS-the-LNER-Clyde-paddler-launched-on-April-7th-1931-at-the-Fairfield-yard_.jpg
Jeanie launch185 viewsThe much loved LNER Clyde paddle steamer launched on April 7 1931 at the Fairfield yard at Govan. She was extensively refitted after war service, and remained a passenger favourite on cruises from Craigendoran until the end of the 1964 season. The next year she went to the Thames and was renamed 'Queen of the South'. She was broken up in Antwerp, Belgium, in 1967. Photo by courtesy of Paul Strathdee.Apr 11, 2020
1970s_Hel_ScCDance.jpg
Tuesday dancing185 viewsThe Helensburgh Scottish Country Dance Dance Tuesday Class Ball at the Ardencaple Hotel in January 1973. Rear (from left): Willie Gilvear, Jack Gregor, Bob Laird, Roy Bain, George Rennie, Helen Bain, Jessie Gilvear, Janie Murray, Douglas McIlroy; middle: Margaret Thomson, Joyce Gregor, Norah Dunn, Chrissie Clark, Cath Twigg, Isa McIlroy, Etta Rennie, Enid Shearer, Elizabeth Howden, Margaret Irvine; front: Kay Campbell, Dorothy Ross, Sheila Wilson, Peggy Rose, Mary Ross, Mrs Murray. Image supplied by Anne Thorn.Mar 31, 2020
1936-swimming-pond-w.jpg
Busy Gala339 viewsHelensburg swimming pool is packed with spectators for a Helensburgh Swimming Club gala c.1936 — and the East Bay beyond is equally busy with sunseekers.Mar 27, 2020
1907-H-_-G-Times-w.jpg
News by postcard187 viewsThe February 13 1907 front page of the Helensburgh and Gareloch Times weekly newspaper featured on a promotional postcard.Mar 27, 2020
Arrochar_House_Hotel.jpg
Arrochar House Hotel173 viewsOriginally the ancestral seat of the Clan McFarlane, the hotel was founded in 1697. Originally Inverioch House, it became Arrochar House, then the Arrochar House Hotel which it was when this photo was taken. By 1950 it was owned and being run as a temperance hotel by Mrs Annie McLeod. In the 1970s Bobby Campbell from Alexandria bought it and changed the name to the Cobbler Hotel. In the 1980s Pam and Maurice Root-Reid bought the hotel from Mr Campbell, and they built a large extension to the right. In 2004 Wallace Arnold/Sheerings bought the hotel and changed the name to Claymore Hotel.Mar 21, 2020
Arrochar_Hotel~0.jpg
Arrochar Hotel267 viewsAn old view of the Arrochar Hotel. Originally a coaching inn and called The Arrochar Inn, it was also the Torrance Hotel for a time. Image circa 1916.Mar 21, 2020
1942-soldiers-w.jpg
Enjoying camp829 viewsHelensburgh Territorials in camp in May 1942.Mar 16, 2020
1957-Wee-Arrochar-w.jpg
Wee Arrochar216 viewsThe 'Wee Arrochar' train near Whistlefield in 1957. This LNER Class C15 Reid N.B. design locomotive, weighing 60 tons, was one of a class which dated from 1911 and was built by the Yorkshire Engine Co. It was one of three which operated the push and pull service from Craigendoran to Arrochar. Two years later a diesel railbus took over the service.Mar 16, 2020
Geilston-House.jpg
Geilston House347 viewsGeilston House in Cardross, former home of Miss Elizabeth Hendry and Miss Margaret Bell, now owned by the National Trust for Scotland. Dating from 1666 or earlier, it began as a modest thatched laird's house, was expanded to become a villa, and finally a decorated cottage linked to a walled garden. The entire house appears to have been thatched until the early 19th century. Its extensive 200 year-old garden is a popular tourist attraction. Photo by Stewart Noble.Mar 02, 2020
Geilston-Hall.jpg
Geilston Hall145 viewsGeilston Hall in Cardross. It was built in 1889-90 by Honeyman and Keppie as a drill hall for the local rifle volunteers. The pale sandstone hall is set back from the road and is in a Collegiate Tudor style. There is a two-storey administration block at the west end incorporating a square tower with a crenellated parapet. The former instructor's accommodation is on the upper level. Today the popular meeting place is operated in trust by the elected Geilston Hall Management Committee, and is a Registered Scottish Charity (SC040631). Photo by Stewart Noble.Mar 02, 2020
2179 files on 182 page(s) 16