Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search
Choose your language:

Home > Heritage > Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery > Religion

Last additions - Religion
St-Modan_s-Church-w.jpg
St Modan's Church206 viewsA 1905 image of Rosneath Parish Church, St Modan's.Apr 19, 2021
Cardross_Free_Church.jpg
Cardross Free Church154 viewsThe original Free Church of Scotland in Cardross. Today there is a house called 'Kirklands' at the south side of Main Road just to the west of its junction with Bainfield Road, and the church was on the site of what is now the garage of that house. The present church building on Station Road was built in 1872 and served as the Free Church of Scotland until 1929 when the Church of Scotland and the Free Church were united. As there were now two C of S congregations the former Free Church was given the name 'Burns Church'. This was the case until after World War Two when the two congregations were united to form Cardross Parish Church in the present building.Dec 22, 2020
St-Gildas-Church-w.jpg
St Gildas Church168 viewsThe Rosneath Catholic church, sited on part of the old Clachan House Estate, was designed as a representation of a ship under sail by Glasgow Architects Thomas Gardiner, Cunningham and Partners. The church was finished in March 1968 and named St Gildas in deference to the Church of Scotland whose church in Rosneath is St Modan's. Dec 13, 2020
St-Modan_s-old-church-w.jpg
Old St Modan's69 viewsThe ancient Rosneath St Modan's church was taken down in 1780, with the exception of the belfry which was preserved. It was on the site of the present pre-19th century parish church which is about 100 yards east of the old cemetery, which contains the ivy-covered ruins of the 18th century place of worship which itself succeeded a pre-Reformation structure. Image date unknown.Dec 13, 2020
Garelochead-UF-Church-w.jpg
Garelochhead UF Church81 viewsA 1918 image of Garelochead showing the United Free Church, which existed from 1873-1938, and cattle in the burn.Dec 13, 2020
General_Booth_MLM-2.jpg
General Booth67 viewsThe founder of the Salvation Army, General William Booth, leaves from Helensburgh pier the day after speaking at the Victoria Hall on October 26 1910, and is seen with Provost David S.Maclachlan. Booth, born in 1826, was the son of a Nottingham builder and converted to Christianity aged 15. He became a revivalist preacher, and in 1865 he and his wife Catherine set up a Christian Mission in London's east end to help the poor. It was reorganised along military lines in 1878, and the Salvation Army was born. He died in 1912.Image supplied by Malcolm LeMay.Nov 29, 2020
General_Booth_MLM-1.jpg
General Booth85 viewsThe founder of the Salvation Army, General William Booth, arrived at Helensburgh Central Station before speaking at the Victoria Hall on October 26 1910, and was welcomed by Provost David S.Maclachlan. Booth, born in 1826, was the son of a Nottingham builder and converted to Christianity aged 15. He became a revivalist preacher, and in 1865 he and his wife Catherine set up a Christian Mission in London's east end to help the poor. It was reorganised along military lines in 1878, and the Salvation Army was born. He died in 1912. Image supplied by Malcolm LeMay.Nov 29, 2020
Rosneath_Parish_Church_(old).jpg
Rosneath Old Parish Church462 viewsSt Modan's Old Parish Church, Rosneath, stands near to its successor, and is surrounded by a graveyard. The church is now a roofless ruin, with some of the walls still standing. This site is said to have had a church for centuries, with this ruined church being the fourth church on the site. There are records of ministers stretching back to 1250. The site was apparently established by St Modan, who may be buried at Faslane. The image is from a 1908 postcard, kindly supplied by the Helensburgh Memories Facebook page.May 02, 2018
St-Michael_s-w.jpg
St Michael's Church512 viewsHelensburgh's St Michael and All Angels Scottish Episcopal Church stands at the corner of William Street and West Princes Street. On Sunday August 22 1841 a congregation of Scottish Episcopalians met in the room of a house in William Street, where Divine Service was solemnised by the Very Rev William Routledge. Their first church, dedicated to the Holy Trinity, opened on the site of the present St Michael's Church in 1843. Sir Robert Rowand Anderson, a prolific architect and pupil of George Gilbert Scott, chose the style of the Gothic Revival for the current church which was consecrated on May 7 1868. it is Helensburgh's only grade A listed church. Photo by Professor John Hume.Oct 20, 2017
St-Modan_s-w.jpg
St Modan's Rosneath492 viewsSt Modan came to Rosneath around the year 600 and founded probably one of the oldest churches in Scotland. He died around the year 700 and a gravestone preserved in the present church is probably his. Today's church, an A listed building, is the fifth, and it was opened for worship in 1853 and subsequently extended twice. Two items in the building, a Bible and the reredos, are linked to Princess Louise, daughter of Queen Victoria and wife of the 9th Duke of Argyll, who lived in Rosneath Castle.Photo by Professor John Hume.Oct 20, 2017
United-Reformed-Church-w.jpg
United Reformed Church494 viewsThis building occupies the site of Helensburgh's very first church, The Tabernacle, which was built in 1802 at the corner of James Street and West Princes Street. Almost immediately after the building was opened the congregation voted to become part of the Congregational Church. The original building had to be demolished in 1851 and a new church was built on the site which now serves as the church hall, and which can be seen on the right side of the photo. Today's church (on the left of the photo) was built in 1884. In 2000 the Congregational Church joined the United Reformed Church. Photo by Professor John Hume.Oct 20, 2017
Shandon-w.jpg
Shandon Church507 viewsBuilt in 1844 as Shandon Free Church, it became linked with Rhu Church in 1954. It continued in use until 1981 and was then converted into housing, with the height of the steeple being substantially reduced. Shandon Pier used to stand straight across the road from the church. Photo by Professor John Hume.Oct 20, 2017
89 files on 8 page(s) 1