Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search
Choose your language:

Home > Heritage > Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery > Business

Last additions - Business
L-and-C-pot-w.jpg
For butter339 viewsThis pot was donated to the Heritage Trust by Tony Voght. It was used for selling butter by the Helensburgh seafront shop Lennox & Chapman, grocers and wine merchants.Jun 19, 2021
cardross-plough-medal-w.jpg
Ploughing medal152 viewsThis Sterling Medal Victorian Watch Fob, described as a stunning example of the workmanship coming out of the United Kingdom during the mid-19th century, was sold on ebay and fetched over £700. It was presented in 1854 by the Cardross Ploughing Association, affiliated with the Highland & Agricultural Society of Scotland and founded in 1784 to promote the regeneration of rural Scotland, as well as the preservation of its poetry, language and music. It was inscribed 'Gained two successive years by John King'.Mar 29, 2021
1972_Storm_with_Susan_Cowan.jpg
Aye of the storm123 viewsStaff member Susan Cowan (now Mrs Maxwell) agreed to pose on the seafront during a gale on December 5 1972 for a publicity stunt. The headline was "Some people will do anything for a good read of the Helensburgh Advertiser". Photo by Donald Fullarton.Nov 29, 2020
Susan-Maxwell-w.jpg
Publicity stint97 viewsThe headline was "Some people will do anything for a good read of the Helensburgh Advertiser". Staff member Susan Cowan (now Mrs Maxwell) posed with the paper during a seafront gale on December 5 1972. Photo by Donald Fullarton.Nov 29, 2020
Arden-Post-Office-w.jpg
Arden Post Office101 viewsThe Post Office building at Arden was demolished in the 1980s to make way for a series of road improvements, which culminated in the creation of the Arden roundabout on the A82. Image date unknown.Nov 15, 2020
Queen_s-Hotel-w~0.jpg
Queen's Hotel133 viewsThe Queen's Hotel was originally Baths House, built by Henry Bell, who built Europe's first commercial steamship the Comet in 1812. The building has had many alterations but still stands on East Clyde Street, having been converted into flats. Image date unknown.Nov 10, 2020
Fruin_farmer.jpg
Fruin farmer195 viewsPhotograph of a farmer with his scythe in Glen Fruin, taken c.1910 by keen amateur photographer Robert Thorburn, a Helensburgh grocery store manager.Sep 09, 2020
Water_group_Stirling.jpg
Water trip216 viewsHelensburgh town councillors and officials at the Sinclair Street water pump house. Image donated to the Heritage Trust by John Stirling whose father is in centre of the back row. His father was the burgh surveyor and water engineer, taking up the post in 1912 and continuing until 1946. Image date unknown.Aug 23, 2020
Woodstone-Private-Hotel-w.jpg
Woodstone Hotel243 viewsWoodstone Private Hotel at Rhu. Its proprietor for many years was Miss E.M.Lyle. Image c.1906.Jun 21, 2020
ross_cycles.jpg
Ross Cycles261 viewsAn image c.1910 of John Ross in front of his cycle shop at 33 West Princes Street, Helensburgh. Image supplied by his great-grandson Jeff Castel de Oro.May 22, 2020
1931-McGruers-staff.jpg
1931 McGruers staff179 viewsManagement and staff of the McGruer & Co. boatbuilding business pictured in 1931. Image from the Silver Motor Yachts private Facebook group contributed by Craig Macdougall.May 17, 2020
Uries-West-Clyde-Street-w.jpg
Oldest surviving shop180 viewsThis image of West Clyde Street, Helensburgh, shows the town's longest surviving retail business, R & A Urie Ltd., China and Crystalware Specialist, at no.45, established in the town in 1854. Image c.1950.Apr 29, 2020
135 files on 12 page(s) 1