Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search
Choose your language:

Home > Heritage > Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery > Transport — Steamers

Last additions - Transport — Steamers
PS-Jeanie-Deans5311.jpg
PS Jeanie Deans923 viewsThe popular paddle steamer Jeanie Deans, circa 1933. She was built by Fairfield at Govan and launched in 1931, then extensively refitted after war service. She remained a passenger favourite on cruises from Craigendoran until the end of the 1964 season. The next year she went to the Thames and was renamed 'Queen of the South'. She was broken up in Antwerp, Belgium, in 1967.Oct 04, 2008
Waverley-at-Kilcreggan5242.jpg
Waverley at Kilcreggan890 viewsThe world's last seagoing paddle steamer Waverley at Kilcreggan Pier. Photo by J.Ballantyne.Oct 01, 2008
Lucy-Ashton-at-Hel-pier4793.jpg
Lucy Ashton at Helensburgh938 viewsThe 200 ton steamer Lucy Ashton, built in 1888, leaves Helensburgh pier for Craigendoran. Image date unknown, but before the outdoor swimming pool was built in 1928.Sep 04, 2008
Maid-of-the-Loch4072.jpg
Maid of the Loch901 viewsA Hector Cameron photo of the Maid of the Loch at Balloch Pier in August 1970. The 555 ton vessel was the last paddle steamer built in Britain, and the last of a long line of Loch Lomond steamers beginning about 1816. Built by A. & J.Inglis of Glasgow, she was dismantled, shipped by rail to Balloch where the sections were reassembled, and launched on March 5 1953. Her last commercial sailing was in August 1981, and now she is looked after at Balloch Pier by the Maid of the Loch Preservation Society.Jun 08, 2008
Craigendoran-steamers3832~0.jpg
Steamers at Craigendoran1276 viewsTwo steamers at Craigendoran Pier, circa 1903.May 21, 2008
Craigendoran-Pier10.jpg
Craigendoran Pier1585 viewsHow passengers alighting at Craigendoran Pier saw the pier buildings. Image date unknown.May 10, 2008
Luss_steamer3641~1.jpg
Loch Lomond steamer817 viewsThis picture of a steamer, probably the SS St George, in Luss Straits was published by C.R.Gilchrist & Sons, Alexandria, circa 1926.May 09, 2008
Kenilworth2883.jpg
PS Kenilworth1032 viewsA 390-ton paddle steamer built in 1898 by A. & J.Inglis at Pointhouse for the North British Steam Packet Company, she operated on the Clyde until 1937, serving initially on the Craigendoran to Rothesay route. She was refurbished and reboilered in 1915 and saw limited World War One service from 1917-19 as a minesweeper on the South Coast. Upon her return she reopened the Arrochar excursion service. Retired in 1937, she was broken up the following year at the yard where she had been constructed. Feb 06, 2008
PS_Caledonia_at_Ayr2652.jpg
PS Caledonia928 viewsThe paddle steamer Caledonia, seen leaving Ayr in the 1960s, was launched on February 1 1934 by Wm. Denny & Bros. Ltd. at Dumbarton. The 624-ton vessel served as a minesweeper named HMS Goatfell during the Second World War. After being based at Ayr, she replaced the Jeanie Deans at Craigendoran. After 1969, renamed Old Caledonia, she served as a Bass Charrington floating pub moored on the Embankment in central London, until badly damaged by fire in 1980, then was scrapped.Jan 16, 2008
Rhu_steamer2532.jpg
Steamer at Rhu928 viewsA steamer, probably the 271-ton Lucy Ashton which was used on the Craigendoran-Gareloch run, leaves Rhu (then Row) Pier, with the training ship Empress beyond. Circa 1905.Jan 09, 2008
Maid_of_the_Loch2521.jpg
Maid of the Loch843 viewsThe paddle steamer Maid of the Loch leaving Inversnaid for a cruise to the head of Loch Lomond in June 1968. The 555-ton vessel was the last paddle steamer built in Britain, and the last of a long line of Loch Lomond steamers beginning about 1816. Built by A. & J.Inglis of Glasgow, she was dismantled, shipped by rail to Balloch, reassembled, and launched on March 5 1953. Her last commercial sailing was in August 1981, and now she is looked after at Balloch Pier by the Maid Preservation Society.Jan 09, 2008
PS_Saint_Columba2284.jpg
TS Saint Columba945 viewsThe 785-ton turbine steamer was launched on April 9 1912 at the yard of William Denny & Bros Ltd., Dumbarton. Placed on the Campeltown run in succession to her namesake, she was requisitioned as a troop transport ship from 1915 to 1919 during which time she rammed and sank a German U-Boat. After the war she served Campbeltown, Inveraray and Ardrishaig until World War Two, when she was an accommodation ship at Greenock. She returned to the summer Ardrishaig service from 1947 until the end of the 1958 season, but was withdrawn and scrapped shortly afterwards. She is pictured arriving at Rothesay, circa 1950.Dec 28, 2007
89 files on 8 page(s) 6