Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search
Choose your language:

Home > Heritage > Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery > Transport — Steamers

Last additions - Transport — Steamers
SS_Talisman.jpg
SS Kenilworth778 viewsA 390-ton paddle steamer built in 1898 by A. & J.Inglis at Pointhouse for the North British Steam Packet Company, she operated on the Clyde until 1937, serving initially on the Craigendoran to Rothesay route. She was refurbished and reboilered in 1915 and saw limited World War One service from 1917-19 as a minesweeper on the South Coast. Upon her return she reopened the Arrochar excursion service. Retired in 1937, she was broken up the following year at the yard where she had been constructed. May 15, 2011
Luss_pier_steamer.jpg
Steamer at Luss835 viewsA Loch Lomond steamer boards passengers at Luss Pier, circa 1938.Nov 20, 2010
Jeanie_Deans_at_Craigendoran.jpg
Jeanie Deans at Craigendoran1122 viewsThe paddle steamer Jeanie Deans was built by Fairfield at Govan and launched in 1931, then extensively refitted after war service. She remained a passenger favourite on cruises from Craigendoran until the end of the 1964 season. The next year she went to the Thames and was renamed 'Queen of the South'. She was broken up in Antwerp, Belgium, in 1967. Image circa 1949.Sep 04, 2010
Marmion.jpg
P.S. Marmion858 viewsLaunched on May 5 1906 at A. & J.Inglis at Pointhouse, Glasgow, the 403 ton Marmion was used on the Craigendoran to Arrochar and Loch Goil service for the North British Steam Packet Company. She was requisitioned for mineweeping at Dover from 1915 as HMS Marmion II, and returned to regular Clyde service in 1926. Again she was requisitioned for war service, stationed at Harwich. After surviving the Dunkirk evacuation, she was sunk by enemy bombers at Harwich on April 8 1941 and was later raised and scrapped.Aug 03, 2010
Dandie_Dinmont_at_Shandon.jpg
Dandie Dinmont at Shandon Pier1144 viewsThe 195 feet 218 ton Dandie Dinmont, the second steamer to bear the name, was built in 1895 by A. and J.Inglis at Pointhouse, Glasgow, for the North British Steam Packet Company for use on the Craigendoran to Dunoon and Holy Loch routes, and remained on station during World War One. After being laid up in 1926 and 1927, the following year she went to the London and North Eastern Railway for the Hull to Holland ferry service and was renamed PS Frodingham. She was broken up in Belgium in 1936.Aug 03, 2010
Arrochar-steamers.jpg
Arrochar steamers1343 viewsPassengers can be seen boarding one of two steamers alongside Arrochar pier at the head of Loch Long. Image circa 1906.Jun 25, 2010
Waverley.jpg
Waverley leaves Helensburgh812 viewsThe Waverley is pictured leaving Helensburgh. Photo by Joe McKendrick, date unknown.Jun 16, 2010
Waverley_(R_Ryan).jpg
Waverley at Helensburgh1321 viewsThe paddle steamer Waverley arrives at Helensburgh pier in the evening sunlight of June 22 2005 on the annual midsummer sail. Built by A. & J.Inglis at Pointhouse, Glasgow in 1946, the 693-ton Waverley entered service in 1947 and is the world's last sea-going paddler. Photo by Robert Ryan.Jun 16, 2010
Steamer_map.jpg
Map card832 viewsA map card showing the MacBrayne steamer PS Columba and a map of the Firth of Clyde, circa 1902.Apr 23, 2010
Steamer_at_Garelochhead.jpg
Steamer at Garelochhead871 viewsA steamer is berthed at the pier at Garelochhead, probably the Lucy Ashton which called regularly from 1906 until the pier closed in 1939. Image circa 1905.Mar 09, 2010
Redgauntlet.jpg
Redgauntlet788 viewsThe Clyde paddle steamer Redgauntlet saw service as a World War One minesweeper. Built by Barclay Curle in 1895 for the North British Railway, she served on the Craigendoran to Rothesay route. In August 1899 she ran on to rocks off Arran in a gale and was badly holed, but the captain ran her up the beach so that crew and passengers could be rescued. After repairs, she was moved to the Forth in 1909 and then sold to the Galloway Steam Packet Company. Later she went to Algeria and was broken up about 1934.Mar 09, 2010
Jeanie_Deans_at_Arrochar.jpg
Jeanie Deans at Arrochar1002 viewsThe popular paddle steamer Jeanie Deans leaves Arrochar, circa 1931. She was built by Fairfield at Govan and launched in 1931, then extensively refitted after war service. She remained a passenger favourite on cruises from Craigendoran until the end of the 1964 season. The next year she went to the Thames and was renamed 'Queen of the South'. She was broken up in Antwerp, Belgium, in 1967.Jan 20, 2010
89 files on 8 page(s) 4