Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search
Choose your language:

Home > Heritage > Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery > Religion

United-Reformed-Church-w.jpg
United Reformed Church510 viewsThis building occupies the site of Helensburgh's very first church, The Tabernacle, which was built in 1802 at the corner of James Street and West Princes Street. Almost immediately after the building was opened the congregation voted to become part of the Congregational Church. The original building had to be demolished in 1851 and a new church was built on the site which now serves as the church hall, and which can be seen on the right side of the photo. Today's church (on the left of the photo) was built in 1884. In 2000 the Congregational Church joined the United Reformed Church. Photo by Professor John Hume.
West-Free-Church-porch-1892-w1.jpg
1892 Leiper Porch751 viewsA ceremony taking place during the construction of the William Leiper Porch at the West Free Church (now Helensburgh Parish Church) in mid-1982. The porch was built as a memorial to the Rev Alexander Anderson, minister of the church, who died in 1891. On the platform are two choirs and church dignitaries, and a large crowd are watching. On a ladder can be seen the name of local painting and decorating firm J.W.McCulloch who were in business in Colquhoun Square until a few years ago. Image by kind permission of Helensburgh Parish Church.
West-UF-Church-interior-1903.jpg
West UF Church interior710 viewsThe interior of the West United Free Church in Colquhoun Square in 1903. Later it became St Andrew's Church of Scotland, then Old and St Andrew's, then the West Kirk, and now Helensburgh Parish Church. Image supplied by a former minister of the church, the Rev David Clark.
West-United-Free-Church-2-1903.jpg
West United Free Church691 viewsThe West United Free Church in Colquhoun Square in 1903. Later it became St Andrew's Church of Scotland, then Old and St Andrew's, then the West Kirk, and now Helensburgh Parish Church. Image supplied by a former minister of the church, the Rev David Clark.
West_Free_Church.jpg
West Free Church779 viewsThe earliest known picture of what is now Helensburgh Parish Church and Colquhoun Square, before there were buildings in the north west quadrant in 1857. It is possible for what is now the Bank of Scotland to exist just out of shot, but what appears to be building blocks bottom right may be evidence of the bank under construction (it carries the date of 1861). Image found by church fabric convener Andrew Black and supplied by a former minister of the church, the Rev David Clark.
West_Kirk_choir1723.jpg
West Kirk Choir946 viewsOrganist and choirmaster Walter Blair is pictured with the choir of the then Helensburgh West Kirk — now Helensburgh Parish Church — on the occasion of the rededication of the church organ in May 1968.
West_United_Free_Church.jpg
West United Free Church907 viewsA 1914 photo by well known professional photographer John Stuart, of Thistlebank, Helensburgh, and Glasgow, of the West United Free Church in Colquhoun Square, later St Andrew's Church, then Old and St Andrew's Church, then the West Kirk, and now Helensburgh Parish Church. Built in 1845, it remained in the Free Church tradition until 1929 when it became a Church of Scotland congregation. The William Leiper-designed front porch was added in 1892, and the building survived a disastrous fire in 1924 which left only the walls standing.
 
91 files on 8 page(s) 8