Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search
Choose your language:

Home > Heritage > Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery > Religion

St-peter_s-cardross-2009-2.jpg
2009 St Peter's431 viewsThe interior of the derelict St Peter's Seminary at Cardross — now the centre of a restoration project — pictured in 2009 by Stewart Noble.
St_Michael_and_All_Angels_choir_1950s.jpg
St Michael's Choir979 viewsThe choir of Helensburgh's St Michael's and All Angels Church, circa 1950. Image supplied by Sue Taylor.
St_Michael_and_All_Angels_Sunday_School_outing_1929.jpg
Sunday School outing762 viewsSome of the young people who attended the St Michael and All Angels Church, Helensburgh, Sunday School outing in 1929. Image supplied by Sue Taylor.
St_Michael_s_Church.jpg
St Michael's Church727 viewsSir Robert Rowan Anderson, a pupil of George Gilbert Scott, designed St Michael and All Angels Scottish Episcopal Church, at the corner of William Street and West Princes Street, and maintained an interest in the subsequent decorative additions. Amongst the important contributors to the cost of its erection in 1867 was William Gladstone. Image published by M.C.Robertson, West End Library, Helensburgh, circa 1912.
St_Michael_s_outing_1954.jpg
St Michael's Outing697 viewsA Helensburgh's St Michael and All Angels Church Sunday School outing to Comrie in 1954. Image supplied by Robert Whitton whose father, the Rev R.A.Whitton, was minister of the church from 1951-9.
St_Michael_s_social_c1956.jpg
St Michael's Social711 viewsA social occasion at Helensburgh's St Michael and All Angels Church circa 1954. Image supplied by Robert Whitton whose father, the Rev R.A.Whitton, was minister of the church from 1951-9 and is in the picture.
Sunday_School_picnic-1.jpg
Sunday School trip-2695 viewsA Sunday School outing from Helensburgh's St Bride's Church to Balmaha in June 1930. Image supplied by Chrissie Clow.
Sunday_School_picnic-2.jpg
Sunday School trip-1684 viewsA Sunday School outing from Helensburgh's St Bride's Church to Balmaha in June 1930. Image supplied by Chrissie Clow.
Tarbet_UF_Church2357.jpg
Tarbet Church707 viewsThe former Ballyhennan Church near Tarbet is now the Ben Lomond cafe and craft shop. In the parish of Arrochar after the Disruption there was soon practical evidence of the spirit of evangelical fervour, and money poured in for a building fund. After an open-air Communion Service on the first Sunday of August, 1843, it was decided to petition the Free Church Presbytery for sanction to build a church and call a minister. A contract for building was entered with Dunoon builder Alexander Stewart for a church to seat 250 at £240 sterling. Work began on January 10 1844, and finished on April 11 1844. The Rev Colin Mackenzie was inducted to the Parish at Balhennan (now Ballyhennan) a week later. It ceased to be a church in 1966. Image date unknown.
The-Rev-John-Lindsay-w.jpg
The Rev John Lindsay652 viewsThe Rev John Lindsay was the first minister of Helensburgh Parish Church on the seafront — later the Old Parish Church which was demolished and only the church tower remains — for many years in the 19th century, having been ordained to the charge in 1847. He died in 1895 and is buried in Helensburgh Cemetery.
The_Old_Kirk_1825.jpg
First church739 viewsHelensburgh's first Presbyterian Church, built in Colquhoun Square in 1825 three years after worshippers started holding services in a tent beside King Street. The first minister, the Rev John Anderson, was called in 1827, and in 1839 he and most of the congregation were received into the Church of Scotland.
United-Reformed-Church-w.jpg
United Reformed Church496 viewsThis building occupies the site of Helensburgh's very first church, The Tabernacle, which was built in 1802 at the corner of James Street and West Princes Street. Almost immediately after the building was opened the congregation voted to become part of the Congregational Church. The original building had to be demolished in 1851 and a new church was built on the site which now serves as the church hall, and which can be seen on the right side of the photo. Today's church (on the left of the photo) was built in 1884. In 2000 the Congregational Church joined the United Reformed Church. Photo by Professor John Hume.
90 files on 8 page(s) 7