Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search
Choose your language:

Home > Heritage > Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery > Religion

Park-Church-w.jpg
Park Church474 viewsOriginally built for the Free Church at the corner of Charlotte Street and East King Street, this building opened in 1863. By about 2010 it faced the problems of attracting a new minister and maintaining its building, both in the face of a dwindling congregation. Consequently it closed its doors to worship in 2015, but the following year the building became the Buddhist Meditation Centre of Scotland. Photo by Professor John Hume.
Park_Church.jpg
Park Church689 viewsPark Church at the junction of East King Street and Charlotte Street, Helensburgh, now the Buddhist Meditation Centre of Scotland. Built in 1862 as the East Free Church, it became Park United Free Church in 1900 following the union of the Free Church and the United Presbyterian Church. It became Park Church in 1929 when the United Free Church and the Church of Scotland united as the Church of Scotland. The congregation became part of Helensburgh Parish Church, and in 2016 the church building was bought by Buddhists. Image published by M.C.Robertson, West End Library, Helensburgh, circa 1912.
Peaton-w.jpg
Peaton Church454 viewsThis small corrugated iron church was affectionately known as "The Tin Hut Church". It is not known when this church opened, but it was certainly in existence before 1893. It was generally only used for a short time in summer, principally to cater for visitors to the area. It stood by the shore road between Cove and Coulport and was used until 2002, being finally demolished eleven years later. Photo by Professor John Hume.
Remembrance-1968-w.jpg
Remembrance Day 1968921 viewsThe official party at the 1968 Remembrance Day service at the Cenotaph in Hermitage Park. In front are the Commodore Clyde and Provost J.McLeod Williamson. In the row behind are Town Clerk Robert Mackay, Councillor Norman Glen, Bailie John Langan, Bailie Mrs Jae Gardiner, and Councillor Ian Johnston.
Rev_John_Baird_original_refurb.jpg
The Rev John Baird698 viewsAn image of the Rev John Baird (1842-1932), father of TV inventor John Logie Baird. He was the first minister of what was originally known as the West Parish Church at the corner of John Street and West King Street. It was opened on March 10 1878 and later became St Bride's Church, which was closed as a place of worship in 1981 and demolished in 1990. This image is a retouched version of a badly stained charcoal etching which is in the Argyll and Bute Council Libraries collection. His grandson, Heritage Trust president Professor Malcolm Baird, dates it at c.1880, and would like to find out who was the artist.
Rev_J_R_Hutton2801.jpg
The Rev J.R.Hutton725 viewsThe Rev John Riddell Hutton, M.A., B.D. was minister of St Columba Church, Helensburgh, from February 19 1913 until June 20 1918. Born in Moffat on August 7 1878, he was assistant minister at Palmerston Place Church, Edinburgh, from 1903-4, then had his first charge at Lockerbie St Cuthbert's from 1904-13. He was inducted at Stow in 1918, then called to Dunblane Leighton Church in 1927 and Waterbeck Church, Annandale, in 1930. He died on September 15 1938. Image from Helensburgh and Gareloch Times 1913.
Rhu_Church-1_03_10.jpg
Rhu Parish Church687 viewsSnowdrops and crocuses in the churchyard of Rhu Parish Church in March 2010. Image taken and supplied by the Rev David Clark, former minister of what is now Helensburgh Parish Church.
Rhu_Church-2_03_10.jpg
Rhu Parish Church688 viewsSnowdrops and crocuses in the churchyard of Rhu Parish Church in March 2010. Image taken and supplied by the Rev David Clark, former minister of what is now Helensburgh Parish Church.
Rhu_Church088.jpg
Rhu Parish Church659 viewsA 1906 image of Row (now Rhu) Parish Church, 26 years after its first organ was installed. The Parish of Row, including Helensburgh, was created in 1648 from lands belonging to the ancient parishes of Cardross and Rosneath, and the church was completed the following year. William Spence designed the pinnacled octagonal tower which was added in 1851.
Rhu_Church2792.jpg
Row (Rhu) Parish Church730 viewsRow (Rhu) Parish and War Memorial. From a postcard published by Winton, Stationer, Post Office, Row. Image date unknown.
Rosneath-Churchyard-1894-w.jpg
Rosneath Churchyard556 viewsAn 1894 image of the graveyard at Rosneath, supplied by Donald John Chisholm.
Rosneath_Parish_Church_(old).jpg
Rosneath Old Parish Church458 viewsSt Modan's Old Parish Church, Rosneath, stands near to its successor, and is surrounded by a graveyard. The church is now a roofless ruin, with some of the walls still standing. This site is said to have had a church for centuries, with this ruined church being the fourth church on the site. There are records of ministers stretching back to 1250. The site was apparently established by St Modan, who may be buried at Faslane. The image is from a 1908 postcard, kindly supplied by the Helensburgh Memories Facebook page.
89 files on 8 page(s) 4