Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search
Choose your language:

Home > Heritage > Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery > Transport — Railways

Glen-Douglas-Station15.jpg
Glen Douglas Station1151 viewsGlen Douglas Station on the West Highland Line, which opened in 1894. Image date unknown.
Helensburgh-Central-19792.jpg
Helensburgh Central Station1344 viewsA fairly modern view of the Central Station in East Princes Street, taken on September 20 1979.
Helensburgh-Central-Photo-by-Macneur-_-Bryden-w.jpg
Helensburgh Central836 viewsPassengers board a train at Helensburgh Central Station, possibly circa 1890.The photo was taken for Macneur & Bryden Ltd., stationers and publishers of the Helensburgh and Gareloch Times weekly newspaper, whose premises were in East Princes Street opposite the station.
Helensburgh-Central-w.jpg
Helensburgh Central1013 viewsA view of Helensburgh Central Station taken from the Grant Street footbridge on May 28 1971, showing the two sidings to the right.
Helensburgh-derailment4.jpg
Helensburgh derailment1471 viewsThis derailment, which occurred about 1968, is shown from the Adelaide Street footbridge looking west towards Helensburgh Central Station.
Helensburgh-Shed17.jpg
The Helensburgh Shed1234 viewsSteam locomotives at the Helensburgh shed beside the Central Station, with the St Columba Church tower barely visible through the haze. Image date unknown.
Helensburgh-Station3.jpg
Early Helensburgh Station1350 viewsAn 1875 picture of Helensburgh Station in East Princes Street, built in 1856, which came into use when the railway reached Helensburgh in 1858. On the left is the Municipal Buildings.
Helensburgh-Upper18.jpg
Helensburgh Upper Station1277 viewsA view of Helensburgh Upper Station in its heyday. A very deep cutting was excavated for the station on the West Highland Railway, which opened to traffic in 1894. Like all the local upper stations except Rhu, it was originally designed to look like a Swiss chalet, and it had its own coalyard to east of Sinclair Street where the Maclachlan Road flats are now. Image date unknown.
Helensburgh-Upper3.jpg
Helensburgh Upper Station1236 viewsA view of Helensburgh Upper in its heyday, looking east towards the Sinclair Street bridge. Photograph taken in July 1959.
Helensburgh_Central006.jpg
Helensburgh Central1032 viewsHelensburgh Central Station, photographed on August 23 1973.
Helensburgh_engine.jpg
810 viewsThe North British Railway's D50 Class, 4-4-0T No. 496, Helensburgh, pictured in 1910. It was built for passenger services on the Glasgow-Helensburgh line by Neilson & Co in 1879.
Helensburgh_engines3213.jpg
Engines at Helensburgh1224 viewsThree V1 engines — 67628, 67655 and 67616 — are pictured at the Helensburgh shed, circa 1960. Several engines were based at Helensburgh although they were nominally allocated to Parkhead. Of Gresley design and introduced in 1930, engines in this class weighed 84 tons.
86 files on 8 page(s) 5