Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search
Choose your language:

Home > Heritage > Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery > Transport — Railways

Caledonian_1231.jpg
Caledonian no.1231222 viewsCaledonian locomotive no.123 pictured at the Helensburgh engine depot in 1948 during an excursion to mark the centenary of the Caledonian Railway. Built by Neilson & Co. in Springburn in 1886, she won a gold medal at the Edinburgh International Exhibition that year. In regular service, no.123 worked on the 101-mile Carlisle to Edinburgh section of the west coast route. She was withdrawn in 1935 and is now an exhibit at Glasgow's Transport Museum. Image supplied by the photographer, Donald McAllister.
Cardross-blue-train-w.jpg
Blue Train251 viewsA Blue Train approaching Cardross from Helensburgh, viewed from Coronation Park, Port Glasgow. Image, date unkniwn, © Thomas Nugent licensed for reuse under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 Generic License.
Cardross-derailment1.jpg
Cardross derailment1486 viewsThe goods train known locally as the ‘Ghost Train’ was derailed on October 18 1966 between the Ardmore East signal box and Cardross Station. It was on its way to Fort William.
Cardross-Station7.jpg
Cardross Station1323 viewsCardross Station prior to electrification. The building is the only local remnant of the original Glasgow, Dumbarton and Helensburgh Railway which opened for traffic in 1858. Image date unknown.
Carriage-at-Helensburgh-Central.jpg
177 viewsCarriages await outside Helensburgh Central Station in East Princes Street when it was the North British Railway Company. Image c.1905.
Central_Station.jpg
Helensburgh Central820 viewsHelensburgh Central Station, possibly circa 1890.The photo was taken for Macneur & Bryden Ltd., stationers and publishers of the Helensburgh and Gareloch Times weekly newspaper, whose premises were in East Princes Street opposite the station.
Craigendoran-low-level8.jpg
Craigendoran Station1614 viewsCraigendoran Station in its heyday, with a steam train approaching from Helensburgh. The station and steamer terminal opened for business under the North British Railway on May 15 1882, and steamer services were finally withdrawn in 1972. The piers have since become derelict, and on the firth side of the line the station buildings are long gone. Date unknown
Craigendoran-Pier-platform9.jpg
Craigendoran Station pier platform1547 viewsThe platform at Craigendoran Station which brought trippers direct to the steamers at the pier, and one steamer can be seen. Both the station and the piers were built in 1882 after a plan to extend the Helensburgh line through the town centre to Helensburgh pier fell through because of local opposition. Image date unknown.
Craigendoran-pier-workmen2.jpg
Hard at work1198 viewsTwo workmen at the North British Railway workshop at Craigendoran Station and Pier about 1910-1914. On the right is William Halford of Helensburgh.
Craigendoran-turntable-w.jpg
Craigendoran turntable1003 viewsThe turntable which used to exist at Craigendoran, beside the current Waitrose site. The locomotive is a brand-new B1 class built for the London and North-Eastern Railway. This class was introduced in 1942 and many of them were built by the North British Locomotive Company at their Hyde Park works in Springburn, Glasgow. Immediately after the locomotives were built they were sent on a trial run to Craigendoran where they were turned on the turntable and then travelled back to Springburn. Image supplied by Billy Thomson.
Craigendoran-Upper11.jpg
Craigendoran Upper Station1596 viewsCraigendoran Upper Station, the start of the West Highland Line which opened in 1894. Like all the local upper stations, except Rhu, it was designed to look like a Swiss chalet. Image date unknown.
Craigendoran_Station.jpg
Craigendoran Station1222 viewsLooking west toward Craigendoran Low Level Station. The tank engine Class C15 4-4-2T no.67474 is in the pier platform on the Craigendoran to Arrochar push-and-pull train. On the right is the High Level Station on the West Highland Line. Image by K.R.Pirt.
86 files on 8 page(s) 3