Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search
Choose your language:

Home > Heritage > Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery > Places — District

Cove-Burgh-Hall5032.jpg
Cove Burgh Hall693 viewsThen described as Kilcreggan Public Buildings and U.F.Church, this picture was used on a postcard published by Kerr, Post Office, Kilcreggan, circa 1905. It sits on the boundary between Cove and Kilcreggan and has been known for many years as Cove Burgh Hall. In recent years it has been very successfully run by a local committee who acquired it from the local authority for a nominal sum.
Cove_Burgh_Hall.jpg
Cove Burgh Hall15 viewsOriginally described as Kilcreggan Public Buildings, Cove Burgh Hall sits on the boundary between Cove and Kilcreggan. In recent years it has been very successfully run by a local committee who acquired it from the local authority for a nominal sum. Image date unknown.
Cove_Burgh_Hall309.jpg
Cove Burgh Hall684 viewsOriginally described as Kilcreggan Public Buildings, Cove Burgh Hall sits on the boundary between Cove and Kilcreggan. In recent years it has been very successfully run by a local committee who acquired it from the local authority for a nominal sum. Image circa 1905.
Cove_from_North_Ailey3241.jpg
Cove723 viewsA view of Cove from North Ailey, circa 1904.
Craigendoran_Avenue.jpg
Craigendoran Avenue791 viewsThe terraced houses on both sides of the unmade-up Craigendoran Avenue. Image circa 1905.
Craigs-pool-w.jpg
Craigs Pool772 viewsA view of the most popular summer picnic area in Glen Fruin, Craigs Pool.No apostrophe required, because it is not the pool belonging to, or associated with, anyone called Craig. As with Craigendoran (meaning ‘rock of the otter’) the craigs referred to are the big flagstones on the bottom of the pool. Craig is Gaelic for stone or rock and it is where the word crag or craggy comes from. Image, circa 2006, supplied by Gordon Fraser.
Cumberland_Terrace3011.jpg
Cumberland Terrace818 viewsCumberland Terrace in Rhu, circa 1917. It was named after the Sail Training Ship Cumberland, which was anchored off Kidston Park from 1886, when she was endowed by 12 prosperous Glasgow merchants to be a home for boys aged 12-14 at risk of being drawn into crime, until she burnt to the waterline in 1889. No lives were lost, but four boys were charged with 'incendiarism'. She was replaced by the Empress. Cumberland Terrace was built to house the ship's officers and a hospital.
Drumfad-Farm-Glen-Fruin-w.jpg
Glen Fruin farm838 viewsA 1914 image of Glen Fruin, with Drumfad Farm in the foreground.
Dunmore-and-Pier-Road-w.jpg
Pier Road, Rhu786 viewsAn old image of the junction of the seafront road and Pier Road, Rhu, with the pier house opposite. The mansion was Dunmore House, which was eventually demolished and replaced by two matching modern houses. Image by courtesy of Jim Shields.
Early_Gareloch.jpg
Gareloch evening721 viewsA view south looking across Rhu Pier to the Training Ship Empress moored in the Gareloch. Image date unknown.
Early_Rhu.jpg
Rhu village789 viewsAn early image of the village of Rhu, at that time Row. It shows the school where the village green now is, and the villa Ardenvohr, built in 1857 to the design of local architect Thomas Gildard and at various times the home of the Muir and Hoggans families. It became the Royal Northern Yacht Club clubhouse in 1937, and in 1978 the club's name changed to the Royal Northern and Clyde Yacht Club. Image date unknown.
East-Bay-_-3-girls.jpg
The East Bay733 viewsAn old view of the East Bay looking towards the town centre. Image date unknown.
250 files on 21 page(s) 4