Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search
Choose your language:

Home > Heritage > Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery > Places — District

Arrochar_from_north.jpg
Arrochar from the north692 viewsA view of Arrochar from the north, taken from the head of Loch Long. Image circa 1948.
Arrochar_pier-w.jpg
Arrochar Pier720 viewsCarriages arrive with passengers for a steamer — possibly the Marmion — berthed at Arrochar Pier, which was built in 1850 and used to service several steamers daily with visitors from Glasgow, circa 1913. Image supplied by Jim Chestnut.
Arrochar_pier.jpg
Arrochar Pier and Loch Long804 viewsTwo steamers are berthed at Arrochar Pier, which was built in 1850 and used to service several steamers daily with visitors from Glasgow. On the other side of the loch is the torpedo testing station. Image circa 1920.
Arrochar_Sour_Milk_Burn.jpg
The 'Sour Milk Burn'679 viewsThis fast flowing burn and waterfall at Arrochar is known as the Sour Milk Burn. Image circa 1904.
Auchendennan2451.jpg
Auchendennan756 viewsAuchendennan House was from 1945 to 2013 a Youth Hostel and is reputed to have its own ghost. This view, circa 1956, shows Loch Lomond and Inchmurrin island beyond. Used for hunting by Robert the Bruce when he lived at Cardross, and then a church possession of Dunbarton, Auchendennan was feued about the time of Flodden to one of the Dennistouns, Andrew of Cardross, whose descendants held it for 100 years and then the Napiers of Kilmahew for another 100 years. The present mansion was built in 1867 by Glasgow merchant George Martin, and it is now back in private ownership.
Bannachra-Castle.jpg
Bannachra Castle192 viewsThe ruins of Bannachra Castle on the Luss road from Helensburgh, between Cross Keys and Arden. The Castle was in roughly the shape of a parallelogram, 46 feet long and 24 feet wide, and was three storeys high with a barrel vaulted basement, a main or hall floor and an attic floor. It is currently owned by the Lumsden family, which has owned the lands on which the castle is since the 19th century. Reputed to be on the site of a former construction, it was probably built in the 16th century. Image c1910.
Barons_Point_Cove.jpg
Cove731 viewsCove is pictured from Baron Point in this picture printed in Saxony. Image date unknown, but probably from the early 1900s.
Barremman_Pier.jpg
166 viewsThe pier at Barremman, Clynder, built about 1877 on the instructions of Robert Thom, owner of Barremman Estate, is pictured, circa 1903. It was blown up by the Army in November 1967 as it was the cheapest way to demolish the pier, which had become unsafe.
Barremman_Pier1.jpg
End of the Pier Show996 viewsThe pier at Barremman, Clynder, built about 1877 on the instructions of Robert Thom, owner of Barremman Estate, was blown up by the Army in November 1967, using 2lbs of plastic explosive, as it was the cheapest way to demolish the pier, which had become unsafe. District Clerk William Swan pressed the plunger at the invitation of D.Smith of Construction and Marine Ltd., Garelochhead. Photo by Donald Fullarton.
Ben_Lomond1472.jpg
Ben Lomond719 viewsAn 1880s photograph of the Ben taken from the grounds of Tarbet Hotel.
Black-Bridge5211.jpg
The Black Bridge773 viewsAn unusual view of the Black Bridge in Glen Fruin from the other side of the river, looking west through the glen, circa 1924.
Blairnairn-Glen-Fruin.jpg
Blairnairn Cottage in Glen Fruin751 viewsLooking west in Glen Fruin towards Blairnairn at harvest time. Image date unknown.
251 files on 21 page(s) 2