Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search
Choose your language:

Home > Heritage > Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery > Places — Burgh

Camis_Eskan_garden-3.jpg
Camis Eskan Greenhouse1736 viewsThe greenhouse in the gardens of Camis Eskan during the Second World War. Photo by kind permission of Sheila Penny.
Camis_Eskan_greenhouse.jpg
Camis Eskan greenhouse925 viewsThe large greenhouse at Camis Eskan, on the east side of Helensburgh. The man is possibly Jimmy Orr and the picture may have been taken by his son-in-law George Truman, who was chauffeur to the Dennistouns who owned the mansion when he married Agnes (Cissie) Orr in 1924. Image, circa 1930, supplied by Alistair Quinlan — Agnes was his great aunt.
Cenotaph.jpg
Helensburgh Cenotaph1485 viewsAn old photograph of the Cenotaph in Hermitage Park. Today the lettering of the names of the fallen is weather-beaten, and for safety reasons the pool is kept empty.
Cenotaph~0.jpg
Burgh Cenotaph206 viewsA 1933 image of the Cenotaph in the Garden of Remembrance in Hermitage Park, Helensburgh, designed and built in 1923 by noted architect Alexander Nisbet Paterson and inspired by 'Glasgow Boy' artist James Whitelaw Hamilton, who encouraged Paterson to enter the design competition and suggested that the old walled garden of the original Hermitage House be used.
Centenary_Cross270.jpg
Centenary Cross965 viewsThe pink granite Centenary Cross, donated in 1902 by Sir James Colquhoun of Luss to mark the centenary of the granting of the Burgh Charter, in its original position in the centre of Colquhoun Square. It was moved to the north west quadrant as it had become a traffic hazard. Image date unknown.
Centenary_monument108.jpg
Centenary Monument903 viewsLooking west from Colquhoun Square along West Princes Street before the Centenary Monument was moved from the centre of the square to the north west quadrant. Provost Sam Bryden, who owned Macneur & Bryden's newsagent and gift shop in East Princes Street, Helensburgh, was the man responsible for the erection of the monument. Image circa 1908.
Centenary_monument1662.jpg
Centenary Cross1154 viewsThe pink granite centenary cross in the centre of Colquhoun Square in 1905. It was donated in 1903 by Sir James Colquhoun, the 30th of Luss and 5th Baronet, to mark the centenary of the granting of the Burgh Charter in 1902. Later it was moved to the north west quadrant of the square for road safety reasons.
CHORD-seafront-w.jpg
CHORD project505 viewsARGYLL and Bute Council's Helensburgh's CHORD project, opened in 2015, involved over £7 million of investment in regenerating the town centre, making improvements to the town's public places, including wider pavements, better access to local shops, new parking bays, and new street furniture. This image by Gordon Fraser shows work in progress on laying the new pavement near the junction of West Clyde Street and William Street.
Clock-Tower-view-w.jpg
View from above754 viewsPhotographer Brian Averell climbed to the top of the Clock Tower on March 26 1985 to take this view looking along the West Esplanade. The tower, originally part of the Old Parish Church, was being repaired by local builders A.Trail & Son who also built the adjacent Tower Place flats on the church site.
Clyde-Street-Jan-1999-w.jpg
Flooded East Bay805 viewsHelensburgh's East Bay and East Clyde Street underwater in January 1999. Photo kindly supplied by Iain Duncan.
clydestcart.jpg
East Clyde Street1850 viewsThe lamp standard on the left marks the entrance to the Queen's Hotel. Postmarked 1920.
clydestE.jpg
Helensburgh Esplanade1162 viewsThe car has just passed Glasgow Street.
323 files on 27 page(s) 5