Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search
Choose your language:

Home > Heritage > Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery > Places — Burgh

neddy_s-point-w.jpg
Neddy's Point721 viewsAn 1840s image of Neddy's Point — now Kidston Park. It was formerly named Cairndhu Point, and was known locally as Neddy’s Point after a well known fisherman and ferryman who lived in a cottage on the point. On it stood the original Ardencaple Coaching Inn, stone from which was used by the Duke of Argyll to build what is now the Ardencaple Hotel. Image supplied by Doris Gentles.
Old-seafront-pic.jpg
Seafront689 viewsAn early image of Helensburgh seafront, looking from the pier to the east side of the town. As there is no bandstand, it must have been taken before 1906. Image kindly supplied by Robert Ryan.
Old-Toll-house-2-w.jpg
Old Toll House694 viewsA lady, possibly the then owner, stands outside the Old Toll House at the top of Sinclair Street. In 2018-19 the little building was substantially expanded and modernised, and is a private dwelling. Image date unknown.
oldgrannery.jpg
Old Granary1514 viewsIn this image circa 1890 is the Old Parish Church with the old Granary in front. Where the children are playing is now a car park.
Old_Colquhoun_Square10.jpg
Colquhoun Square in the early 1900s1498 viewsThis picture shows one of two granite water fountains which stood in the square, and also the centenery monument in the centre of West Princes Street before it was moved to the north west quadrant for road safety reasons.
Old_Colquhoun_Square7.jpg
North West Colquhoun Square1075 viewsA photo taken by Alexander Wilson, a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years, who in 1923 bequeathed much of his collection — and £50 to cover costs — to the Free Library Committee of Dundee. Image by courtesy of Dundee City Library.
Old_Gareloch_View.jpg
View over loch786 viewsA 1918 image of an evening view from above Helensburgh across the Gareloch to the tip of the Rosneath Peninsula. On the left is Kidston Park, with the area below Ardencaple Castle still undeveloped, and to the right is the Training Ship Empress.
Old_Hel_pic.jpg
Helensburgh from the air1598 viewsThe town centre area, believed to have been taken about 1920.
Old_Luss_Road2431.jpg
The Old Luss Road1087 viewsThe old road leading from Helensburgh over the Blackhill to Luss and Loch Lomond. This lithographic duotone view was produced in 1923 for inclusion in Walter Hutchinson's 'Beautiful Britain' series of topographical studies of the British Isles.
Old_Luss_Road_in_snow.jpg
Old Luss Road795 viewsA 1909 Helensburgh image captioned: "The silent snow possess'd the Old Luss Road".
Outdoor_pool.jpg
Helensburgh Swimming Pool886 viewsA 1959 image showing the entrance and the north west corner of the outdoor pool, built in 1928 as a gift from Provost Andrew Buchanan, beside Helensburgh Pier. It was replaced in 1976 by an indoor pool on an adjacent site, and a year later the outdoor pool was closed. It was demolished in 1996 and replaced by a childrens play area. Behind it is an archway which led to the pier, but was demolished some years ago.
Outdoor_pool~0.jpg
Outdoor pool1253 viewsBuilt in 1928 as a gift from Provost Andrew Buchanan, beside the pier, the Helensburgh outdoor swimming pool was replaced in 1976 by an indoor pool on an adjacent site, and a year later the outdoor pool was closed. It was demolished in 1996 and replaced by a childrens play area. Image date unknown.
323 files on 27 page(s) 18