Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search
Choose your language:

Home > Heritage > Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery > Mansions

Craigrownie_Castle.jpg
Craigrownie Castle1197 viewsCraigrownie Castle, Cove, is a B listed building designed by world renowned architect Alexander 'Greek' Thomson in 1852, and recently renovated. There are six reception rooms, including an 800 sq ft ballroom, drawing room, library, morning room, dining room and informal sitting room. Thomson was 34 at the time and better known for his grand classic Grecian architecture in Glasgow. It was built as a weekend retreat by John McElroy, a wealthy Glasgow iron, railway and property magnate. Image circa 1914.
Craigrownie_Castle298.jpg
Craigrownie Castle1171 viewsCraigrownie Castle, Cove, is a B listed building designed by world renowned architect Alexander 'Greek' Thomson in 1852, and recently renovated. There are six reception rooms, including an 800 sq ft ballroom, drawing room, library, morning room, dining room and informal sitting room. Thomson was 34 at the time and better known for his grand classic Grecian architecture in Glasgow. It was built as a weekend retreat by John McElroy, a wealthy Glasgow iron, railway and property magnate. Image date unknown.
Dalriada_lounge.jpg
Crimea lounge1550 viewsThe lounge of Crimea at Portincaple, full of paintings by eminent artist James Kay RSA RSW who lived there for 33 years and worked in a studio in Glasgow. It belonged to his brother Alec, a shipping office manager. The name was chosen when they moved there in 1909 because his father was a Chief Petty Officer in the Royal Navy during the Crimean War, serving in the Black Sea area. James painted an elaborate mural of scenes from the Crimean on the walls of the main entrance. Image date unknown.
Dalriada_Portincaple.jpg
Crimea, Portincaple1431 viewsCrimea, now renamed Dalriada, was the home of eminent artist James Kay RSA RSW who lived there for 33 years and worked in a studio at 79 West Regent Street, Glasgow. It belonged to his brother Alec, a shipping office manager. The name was chosen when they moved there in 1909 because his father was a Chief Petty Officer in the Royal Navy during the Crimean War, serving in the Black Sea area. James painted an elaborate mural of scenes from the Crimean War on the walls of the main entrance. Image date unknown.
Drimard-w.jpg
Drimard1112 viewsDrimard in West Lennox Drive, Helensburgh, when it was the home of J.Douglas Hume. Designed by David Bateman Hutton, it was built in 1926.
Drumfork_House4.jpg
Helensburgh's Oldest House2213 viewsThe town's oldest house is Drumfork House at Colgrain, which stood beside the path on which cattle were driven from Loch Lomondside to the Drumfork Ferry to be taken to market at Greenock. The house, which is at the east end of East King Street beyond the railway arch, was for a time the home of Colonel George Findlay V.C., a World War One hero. Photo by Donald Fullarton.
Dunmore-House-w.jpg
Dunmore House, Rhu1172 viewsAn old image of Dunmore House which stood beside Pier Road, Rhu, and opposite Rhu Pier. The last owner of the house was a recluse who allowed the building to deteriorate to such an extent that latterly he was living in a tent inside one room because the roof was leaking so badly. It was demolished in the 1970s and replaced by two matching modern houses, Dunmore East and Dunmore West. Image by courtesy of Jim Shields.
Ferniegair-from-east142.jpg
Ferniegair from the east1649 viewsFerniegair on West Clyde Street, home of the Kidston family and immediately east of Cairndhu, built in 1869 by architect John Honeyman and demolished in the 1960s. Image supplied by John Johnston.
Ferniegair.jpg
Ferniegair2013 viewsFerniegair on West Clyde Street, home of the Kidston family and immediately east of Cairndhu, built in 1869 by architect John Honeyman and demolished in the 1960s. Image supplied by John Johnston.
Geilston-House.jpg
Geilston House289 viewsGeilston House in Cardross, former home of Miss Elizabeth Hendry and Miss Margaret Bell, now owned by the National Trust for Scotland. Dating from 1666 or earlier, it began as a modest thatched laird's house, was expanded to become a villa, and finally a decorated cottage linked to a walled garden. The entire house appears to have been thatched until the early 19th century. Its extensive 200 year-old garden is a popular tourist attraction. Photo by Stewart Noble.
Glenarn-Rhu-w.jpg
Glenarn1433 viewsGlenarn was built in the late 1830s, and soon after the garden received plants from Joseph Hooker's 1849-50 expedition to Sikkim, notably the Rhododendron falconeri at the side of the house. The garden was extended by the Gibson family over the following 50 years after they acquired the property in 1927. The Thornley family arrived at Glenarn in 1983 to find much to be done to restore the gardens to their former glory and then to extend their scope still further, work which is continuing. Image date unknown.
Glenoran-House-mono.jpg
Glenoran House2293 viewsGlenoran House in Rhu, up the hill above the Ardencaple Hotel. It is thought to have been designed and built in 1869 by John Honeyman for Charles Kidston, a member of the well known Kidston family, and was demolished a century later to make way for a housing development — which has never happened. Image supplied by Trish Fleming.
108 files on 9 page(s) 4