| Category |
Albums |
Files |
|
23 |
2,190 |
|
Anderson Trust
|

|


|
|
THE Anderson Trust was established in 1980 on the death of Miss A.T.Anderson MBE to manage her bequest to the town of her private collection of paintings. Annie Templeton Anderson (1889-1980), known to all as Nance, was born and lived all her life in Helensburgh where her father had been Provost. The original collection comprised 34 paintings, all of which are associated with the area, either by artist or subject matter. Thanks to generous gifts of works from private donors, and some new purchases, the collection is continues to grow. In 1998 the Anderson Collection was given a permanent home in the new Helensburgh Library, in West King Street, and, with the co-operation of Argyll & Bute Library and Museum Services, the Trust is able to display a selection of paintings from the Collection, for six months every year, in the Upper Gallery of the Library.
16 files, last one added on Feb 04, 2023 Album viewed 5440 times
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

|

| Random files - Heritage |

Skating in Glen Fruin708 viewsPhotograph taken c.1910 by keen amateur photographer Robert Thorburn, a Helensburgh grocery store manager. It shows skaters enjoying the frozen River Fruin.
|
|

Jack Buchanan1282 viewsAn autographed photo of Helensburgh-born Jack Buchanan, the international entertainer and Hollywood film star. Born on April 2 1891, he grew up in the town and was a great friend of TV inventor John Logie Baird. He died on October 20 1957 at the age of 66.
|
|

Portrait1247 viewsHelensburgh man Andrew Bonar Law, a Conservative who became Prime Minister and occupied 10 Downing Street for just 209 days in 1922-23, succeeding the much better known Liberal, David Lloyd George, who had served from 1916-22.
|
|

Bannachra Castle680 viewsThe ruins of Bannachra Castle on the Luss road from Helensburgh, between Cross Keys and Arden. The Castle was in roughly the shape of a parallelogram, 46 feet long and 24 feet wide, and was three storeys high with a barrel vaulted basement, a main or hall floor and an attic floor. It is currently owned by the Lumsden family, which has owned the lands on which the castle is since the 19th century. Reputed to be on the site of a former construction, it was probably built in the 16th century. Image c1910.
|
|

A Heinkel at Rhu circa 19402127 viewsThis photo by World War Two photographer Bob Bird shows a German Heinkel aircraft at the Marine Aircraft Experimental Research Establishment at Rhu. It was one of two Heinkel He 115 floatplanes modified by MAEE and Scottish Aviation to fly agents into Europe. Reproduced by kind permission of Robin Bird, who wrote ‘Top Secret War Bird of World War Two’ about his father.
|
|

926 viewsWood engraving of The Emperor the Nightingale, by Elizabeth Jamieson Odling. Copyright the Anderson (Local Collection) Trust.
|
|

The Clachan1091 viewsThe Clachan area of Rosneath, with the school on the right and St Modan's Church on the left. Image date not known.
|
|

All Aboard1370 viewsPassengers prepare to board the steamer Balmoral at Helensburgh Pier in 1987.
|
|

| Last additions - Heritage |

Helensburgh Pier - unknown artist3753 viewsThe theme of the 2023 exhibition of works in the Anderson Collection is “Piers and Jetties” illustrated by artists, mainly from this area and ranging in period over the past 200 years.Feb 04, 2023
|
|

Steamboat on the Clyde - William Daniell4239 viewsThe theme of the 2023 exhibition of works in the Anderson Collection is “Piers and Jetties” illustrated by artists, mainly from this area and ranging in period over the past 200 years.Feb 04, 2023
|
|

Jeanie Deans at Craigendoran - Ian Plenderleath8175 viewsThe theme of the 2023 exhibition of works in the Anderson Collection is “Piers and Jetties” illustrated by artists, mainly from this area and ranging in period over the past 200 years.Feb 04, 2023
|
|

2647 viewsFeb 04, 2023
|
|

2452 viewsFeb 04, 2023
|
|

2665 viewsFeb 04, 2023
|
|

Provost's Lamps3121 views It was a tradition that provosts of Helensburgh had a special lamp post erected outside their house during their term of office. This photograph shows the two lamp posts which stood outside Billy Petrie's house at Segton, John Street at the time of his death in 2022. The coats of arms on the glass are for Dunbartonshire County Council, Dumbarton District Council, Argyll and Bute Council, and Strathclyde Regional Council. He had been provost of the first three of these councils, but not of the last - quite probably a unique state of affairs. Nov 14, 2022
|
|

New Era for swimmers2977 viewsThe town's first indoor swimming pool being demolished in September 2022, following the opening of the new indoor swimming pool a few days earlier. The pool had been opened in 1977 Provost Billy Petrie. Photo by Stewart NobleOct 23, 2022
|
|

|