
| Most viewed - Heritage |

3rd Helensburgh Cubs2875 viewsA 1946 group of Helensburgh Cubs. Top row (from left): Teddy McEwan, Jim Steel, Jim Spence, Norman Fagan, Billy Dixon, Robert Watt, Gordon Hamilton, Sandy Wright, ?, Robin Adair, Cosmo Fraser, Gordon Grant; second row: Scott Milne, Jim Aitken, John Oswald, Graham Scott, Charlie Dickens, ?, Gordon Peebles, Tony McAuley, Alister McLeod and (first name unknown) Norvel, Jim Kennedy, Robert Burns; third row: Willie Thomson, Hugh Abraham, Billy Campbell, Campbell Jardine, Mary Brough, ?, Miss Murdoch, ?, ?, Gordon Fraser, Clark Gibson, Douglas Lamb, Leo Hendry; front row: Tony Wright, Sandy Peters, Angus Tran, Jim Campbell, Jim McNeil, Donald Cameron, Iain Campbell, Kenneth Gibson, ?, David Griffith. Image supplied by Gordon Fraser.
|
|

The Ragged School2864 viewsHelensburgh's first school was Grant Street School — also known as the Ragged School or the Industrial School — at the corner of Grant Street and East Princes Street. It dates back to 1853 when Government funds were obtained for the erection of a school, and in 1873 it became the responsibility of the Row (Rhu) School Board. It was replaced by Clyde Street School in 1903, and the land was built on in an expansion of the Gas Works.
|
|

Academy opening2861 viewsAmerican guest Dr John Jackson speaks at the opening of the second Hermitage Academy at Colgrain on June 4 2008. He said a few words of greeting on behalf of the school's international links.
|
|

Two steam boats2841 viewsThe Talisker and the Silkie took part in the bicentenary nautical parade from Rhu Marina to Helensburgh pier on Saturday August 4 2012. Photo by Kenneth Speirs.
|
|

Knockderry Castle, Cove2839 viewsBuilt on the site of a Danish fort about 1855 to the design of the famous architect Alexander 'Greek' Thomson, Knockderry Castle at Cove became the family home of the Templeton carpet manufacturing family. In 1896-7 another famous architect, William Leiper, designed an extension and a lodge for John Templeton, and a famous guest of his at the castle was millionaire philanthropist Andrew Carnegie. For some years a hotel, it is now a private residence again. Image circa 1970.
|
|

Coronation tree planting2833 viewsAlex Douglas, headmaster of Clyde Street School, teacher Miss Laing, and some of their pupils plant a tree outside 27 East Montrose Street, Helensburgh, to mark the Coronation of Queen Elizabeth on June 2 1953. Image supplied by Alex Hunter, now of Ontario, Canada, who is the boy holding the shovel, and taken by Alexandria press photographer Peter Leddy.
|
|

Clarendon2831 viewsA very old photograph of Clarendon in James Street, now the junior department of Lomond School. Date unknown.
|
|

Ferniegair2813 viewsFerniegair on West Clyde Street, home of the Kidston family and immediately east of Cairndhu, built in 1869 by architect John Honeyman and demolished in the 1960s. Image supplied by John Johnston.
|
|

Donkey Rides2806 viewsUndated, but possibly the 1960s. Can anyone provide a date?
This image is watermarked.
|
|

Hermitage Academy Class 2A 1967-82805 viewsBack row: Norman McIvor, Geoffrey Thompson, George Beggs, Andrew McNeill, Stanley Sowinsky, Jamie Hulme, Scott Paige, Robert Prescott, George Cusker, Richard Makeham, Alan Oldfield; middle: David Harris, Stephen Richards, Ian Doig, Sharon Temple, Sheena Smith, Elizabeth Truscott, Noelle Odling, Lynne Price, Laura Johnstone, Duncan Campbell, Robbie McLean, John Burnhill; front: Sandra Werry, Fiona Bryce, Susan Cogger, Heather Mennie, Marion Hancox, Susan Taylor, Mary Ross, Rosalind Mulligan, Anne Munn, Lorna Will, Alison McLuskie. Image supplied by Sue Taylor.
|
|

Sundowner2802 viewsHelensburgh film star Deborah Kerr is pictured in a scene from the Warner Brothers movie 'The Sundowners', set in 1920s Australia, in which she starred with Robert Mitchum, Peter Ustinov and Glynis Johns. This image appeared in Woman magazine on January 21 1961, four weeks after the film, directed by Fred Zinnemann, was released. Paddy Carmody (Robert Mitchum) is a roaming Irish sheepherder who loves his nomadic lifestyle. His wife, Ida (Deborah Kerr), and young son Sean do not share his wanderlust, and family tensions come to a head after Ida persuades Paddy to settle down with a steady job.
|
|

The Ram's Head Bridge2796 viewsThis photo by Donald Fullarton shows the Ram's Head Bridge in Glen Luss, built in 1777 by William Johns, seen in winter with little vegetation. It was also known as the Tupp Bridge. Glen Luss was one of the first of the Highland glens to be cleared after the defeat of the Jacobites in 1745, with the people forced off the land and replaced by the Linton breed of black-faced sheep.
|
|
| 2190 files on 183 page(s) |
 |
 |
 |
 |
 |
10 |  |
 |
 |
 |
|

|