Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search
Choose your language:

Last additions
Comet_painting_1.jpg
Comet painting121 viewsA 1963 watercolour by Paul Sharp of Henry Bell's Comet at the time of the 150th anniversary.Dec 04, 2019
Lethamhill-w.jpg
Lethamhill113 viewsThis large, detached villa is a grade B listed building at 20 West Dhuhill Drive, Helensburgh, designed in 1914 by Sir John James Burnett, president of the Glasgow Institute of Architects in 1897. He also designed Glasgow's Alhambra Theatre and the Sick Children's Hospital at Yorkhill.Nov 15, 2019
Original-Rosneath-Castle-w.jpg
Pre-1802 Rosneath Castle176 viewsAn illustration by Alex McGibbon of the original castle, which comes from W.C.Maughan’s ‘Rosneath Past and Present’, written in 1893. It was burnt down in 1802, and replaced in 1806 by London architect Joseph Bonomi with a neo-classical mansion.Nov 15, 2019
Watts_Garage.jpg
Watts Garage419 viewsThe 86 Sinclair Street yard of Watts Motor House and Repair Shop, which also had premises at 53 Sinclair Street near the Princes Street junction. This yard is adjacent to the Malig Mill which stood behind the Victoria Hall, and it was taken over by the final Mill owners, R.S.MacFarlane & Son. Image circa 1905.Nov 06, 2019
1903_Seafront.jpg
1903 Seafront190 viewsA 1903 image of a busy day on the beach in Helensburgh, just to the west of the pier.Nov 02, 2019
Bathing-huts-w.jpg
Beach huts120 viewsHuts provide shelter from the sun on Helensburgh beach just to the west of the pier. Image from 1933.Oct 27, 2019
Clynder-from-loch.jpg
Clynder333 viewsClynder seen from the Gareloch. Image c1950.Oct 26, 2019
Old-Luss-Road-26_10_31.jpg
159 viewsA sketch of a young woman collecting firewood on the Old Luss Road, which runs from Helensburgh over the hill to Loch Lomond, and passes through Helensburgh Golf Club. Image c1910.Oct 26, 2019
Fruin-in-winter.jpg
Snowy Glen119 viewsThe Craig's Pool area of Glen Fruin after a heavy snow fall. Image c1910.Oct 25, 2019
Bannachra-Castle.jpg
Bannachra Castle120 viewsThe ruins of Bannachra Castle on the Luss road from Helensburgh, between Cross Keys and Arden. The Castle was in roughly the shape of a parallelogram, 46 feet long and 24 feet wide, and was three storeys high with a barrel vaulted basement, a main or hall floor and an attic floor. It is currently owned by the Lumsden family, which has owned the lands on which the castle is since the 19th century. Reputed to be on the site of a former construction, it was probably built in the 16th century. Image c1910.Oct 25, 2019
A-_-R-Spy-coal.jpg
Coal from Spy192 viewsA horse and cart coal delivery from A. & R.Spy, Coal Merchants and Colliery Agents, of 25 Sinclair Street, Helensburgh. Their slogan was: "All orders executed with promptitude under our personal supervision." Their wholesale depot was in the goods yard at Helensburgh Central Station. Image c1910.Oct 25, 2019
St-Bride_s-School-c_1900.jpg
Original St Bride's School248 viewsSt Bride's School at 10 Stafford Street, Helensburgh, a branch of the Girls School Company, was founded in 1895 to provide such an education for girls as would prepare them for the interests and responsibilities of social life, and enable those who desired it to proceed to the wider education of the Universities. Miss Renton was the headmistress at the time of this photograph, probably around 1910. In 1977 it merged with Larchfield School for boys to become Lomond School. The St Bride's building was largely destroyed in an overnight fire in 1997, but was rebuilt to house the senior and top primary pupils.Oct 25, 2019
2054 files on 172 page(s) 8