Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search
Choose your language:

Category Albums Files
Heritage
Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust GalleryWithin this gallery are all the images. If you click the link above you will find the albums containing the images


22 1,950
People


Sam_Bryden13.jpg

47 files, last one added on Mar 28, 2019
Album viewed 73 times

The Arts


CRM_postcard4.jpg

35 files, last one added on Mar 28, 2019
Album viewed 38 times

Works of art


Colquhoun-Lady-Helen-w.jpg

53 files, last one added on Dec 14, 2015
Album viewed 31 times

Business


1st_1957_Advertiser2.jpg

109 files, last one added on Mar 28, 2019
Album viewed 47 times

Education


Glen_Fruin_school10.jpg

130 files, last one added on Jul 29, 2018
Album viewed 71 times

John Logie Baird


John-Logie-Baird5093.jpg

64 files, last one added on Mar 28, 2019
Album viewed 31 times

Henry Bell and the Comet


Comet-flywheel-in-park-w.jpg

109 files, last one added on Nov 18, 2014
Album viewed 33 times

Prime Minister Andrew Bonar Law


Bonar-Law-1922-chess-w.jpg

20 files, last one added on Dec 27, 2018
Album viewed 30 times

Military


German-Heinkel5.jpg

91 files, last one added on Jul 01, 2018
Album viewed 50 times

Organisations


Rovers-building-cabin-w.jpg

80 files, last one added on Jul 01, 2018
Album viewed 46 times

Royal Visits


1965-Royal-Visit-2-w.jpg

29 files, last one added on Apr 16, 2019
Album viewed 31 times

Mansions


Hill-House-box-w.jpg

96 files, last one added on Mar 26, 2019
Album viewed 58 times

Places — Burgh


Seafront-relax-w.jpg

300 files, last one added on May 19, 2019
Album viewed 56 times

Places — District


Rhu-water-trip.jpg

222 files, last one added on Feb 10, 2019
Album viewed 50 times

Religion


Luss_Church_window5.jpg

82 files, last one added on May 02, 2018
Album viewed 29 times

Screen and stage stars


Deborah-Kerr0521.jpg

66 files, last one added on Dec 14, 2017
Album viewed 40 times

Shops


Sinclair-St-crossing-w.jpg

29 files, last one added on Jan 07, 2017
Album viewed 41 times

Transport — General


Uncle_Hector_at_Helensburgh_car.jpg

42 files, last one added on Oct 05, 2017
Album viewed 50 times

Transport — Railways


2018-March-train-1-w.jpg

73 files, last one added on Mar 15, 2018
Album viewed 44 times

Transport — Steamers


Lucy-Ashton-test-bed-w.jpg

79 files, last one added on Apr 16, 2019
Album viewed 37 times

Sport


Bobby_McGregor1.jpg

139 files, last one added on Apr 16, 2019
Album viewed 53 times

Old Postcards


Helensburgh_1903.jpeg

These images are copies of old postcards and some are watermarked. Please respect this website by not copying the images.

55 files, last one added on Feb 10, 2015
Album viewed 46 times

22 albums on 1 page(s)

1,950 files in 22 albums and 2 categories with 0 comments viewed 1,767,987 times

Random files
Bonar-Law-Arrochar003-w.jpg
Birthday paddle613 viewsA paddling Andrew Bonar Law gives a friend a piggyback on a 21st birthday outing to Arrochar. Image by courtesy of Arrochar, Tarbet and Ardlui Heritage Group.
Susie_s-Castle018-w.jpg
Susie's Castle835 viewsSusie lived for 60 years in the upturned fishing smack, her 'castle' on the Loch Long shore at Portincaple, and postcards of her home were sold. In this image she is standing at the door knitting and puffing her clay pipe. Her husband Jamie made a living from fishing, and the creel or basket in the foreground would be used for carrying fish. If he had a good catch, he would barrel it up to Whistlefield Station and take the train to Glasgow for the fish market. Image circa 1912.
Cardross_Station3041.jpg
Cardross Station882 viewsA picture of a mystery celebration at Cardross Station. The bunting and Union Jacks, the waiting horse drawn carriages — and one early car — and the finery of the people in suggests a very special occasion, perhaps the opening of part of the station, or troops returning from the First World War, or even a royal visit? However it is believed to be the arrival of guests attending a wedding. The station was opened on January 15 1858, the line was doubled in 1883, and the bridge was built the following year.
Convoy-2-w.jpg
WW2 shipping733 viewsA rare World War Two photograph taken from Portkil, Kilcreggan, looking at naval and other shipping in the Clyde between Helensburgh and Greenock. Donated to the Heritage Trust by Michael Wilson, the image is possibly of vessels assembling for the North Africa landings in 1943.
Former-Baths-Hotel-NM.jpg
Bell's home563 viewsThe castellated building which was Henry Bell's original Baths Hotel, became the Queen's Hotel, and is now the Queen's Court flats, seen from Helensburgh pier during the bicentenary celebrations on Saturday August 4 2012. Photo by Neil MacLeod.
Central_Station.jpg
Helensburgh Central713 viewsHelensburgh Central Station, possibly circa 1890.The photo was taken for Macneur & Bryden Ltd., stationers and publishers of the Helensburgh and Gareloch Times weekly newspaper, whose premises were in East Princes Street opposite the station.
132-62005-lord-of-the-isles-at-kirkmichael.jpg
Lord of the Isles723 views62005 "Lord of the Isles" pictured at the Old Luss Road Bridge, Kirkmichael, on May 13 2008. This class K-1 locomotive was introduced in 1949 by British Railways and was based on the Class K-4 design of the London and North Eastern Railway. Image supplied by Stewart Noble.
Comet_replica-2.jpg
Comet replica580 viewsThe replica of Henry Bell's Comet built by Lithgow apprentices for the Comet 150th anniversary in 1962 is lifted on to a trailer to be taken to its permanent home in Port Glasgow town centre after the celebrations.

Last additions
Seafront-relax-w.jpg
Relaxing on seafront44 viewsA 1912 image showing two ladies with hats relaxing on the west esplanade near the pier.May 19, 2019
Cardross-Golf-Club-original-w.jpg
Original clubhouse92 viewsThe original Cardross Golf Club clubhouse, which was destroyed in a World War Two bombing raid by the Luftwaffe over the night of May 5 1941. Photo by courtesy of Helensburgh Memories on Facebook.Apr 16, 2019
1965-Royal-Visit-2-w.jpg
1965 Royal Visit60 viewsThe Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh are pictured in Helensburgh Central Station admiring a model of the first 'Blue Train' which would soon be introduced into service on the Helensburgh-Glasgow line. The 15 minute visit was on Monday June 28 1965 to open new council offices, and the royal couple arrived at and left Clydebank on the royal yacht Britannia. With them are Provost J.McLeod Williamson and his wife Rosina. Photo by courtesy of Helensburgh Memories on Facebook.Apr 16, 2019
Lucy-Ashton-test-bed-w.jpg
Lucy Ashton as test bed30 viewsThe steamer Lucy Ashton operated the Craigendoran - Gareloch - Greenock service from the early 1900s until she was withdrawn during the Second World War. In 1949 she was sold for scrap, but received a last minute reprieve when the British Shipbuilding Research Association converted her to a jet-powered hull to conduct resistance experiments to analyse the impact of drag and friction on a full-scale ship hull. She was fitted with four Rolls-Royce Derwent V engines, which would not disturb the water in the same way as a propeller and shaft, then was scrapped in 1951. Photo by courtesy of Helensburgh Memories on Facebook.Apr 16, 2019
Maitland-Street-plaque-w.jpg
Maitland Street plaque40 viewsThis worn carved stone in the wall at the foot of Maitland Street dates from 1778 and denotes the productive local trade of herring fishing in the early 19th century. The cured fish were stored in barrels made in the cooperage there. Photo by Kenneth Crawford.Mar 28, 2019
Trust-book-w.jpg
Around Helensburgh56 viewsCompilers Kenneth Crawford, who wrote the captions, and Alison Roberts are pictured at the 1999 launch of the Helensburgh Heritage Trust book of old local pictures, entitled Around Helensburgh and part of the Images of Scotland series from Tempus Publishing Ltd of Stroud, Gloucestershire.Mar 28, 2019
Gasometer-w.jpg
Burgh gasometer30 viewsThe gasometer, built in 1928, stood between East Clyde Street and East Princes Street opposite Helensburgh Central Station. It was decommissioned in 2012 and demolished in the summer of 2014, to be replaced by a car park. Photo by Kenneth Crawford.Mar 28, 2019
Garrawy-b-stone-w.jpg
Boundary stone37 viewsOne of Helensburgh's boundary stones, this one in Garrawy Glen above Kirkmichael. Photo by Kenneth Crawford.Mar 28, 2019