Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album

Category Albums Files
Heritage
Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust GalleryWithin this gallery are all the images. If you click the link above you will find the albums containing the images


22 1,934
People


Sam_Bryden13.jpg

46 files, last one added on Mar 13, 2019
Album viewed 1 times

The Arts


CRM_postcard4.jpg

34 files, last one added on Dec 24, 2016
Album viewed 0 times

Works of art


Colquhoun-Lady-Helen-w.jpg

53 files, last one added on Dec 14, 2015
Album viewed 0 times

Business


1st_1957_Advertiser2.jpg

107 files, last one added on Mar 09, 2019
Album viewed 0 times

Education


Glen_Fruin_school10.jpg

130 files, last one added on Jul 29, 2018
Album viewed 0 times

John Logie Baird


John-Logie-Baird5093.jpg

63 files, last one added on Oct 03, 2017
Album viewed 1 times

Henry Bell and the Comet


Comet-flywheel-in-park-w.jpg

109 files, last one added on Nov 18, 2014
Album viewed 0 times

Prime Minister Andrew Bonar Law


Bonar-Law-1922-chess-w.jpg

20 files, last one added on Dec 27, 2018
Album viewed 0 times

Military


German-Heinkel5.jpg

91 files, last one added on Jul 01, 2018
Album viewed 0 times

Organisations


Rovers-building-cabin-w.jpg

80 files, last one added on Jul 01, 2018
Album viewed 0 times

Royal Visits


Queen-Mother-Base-68-1w.jpg

28 files, last one added on May 21, 2017
Album viewed 0 times

Mansions


Ardgare-House-w.jpg

95 files, last one added on Mar 11, 2019
Album viewed 0 times

Places — Burgh


CHORD-seafront-w.jpg

293 files, last one added on Nov 25, 2018
Album viewed 0 times

Places — District


Rhu-water-trip.jpg

222 files, last one added on Feb 10, 2019
Album viewed 0 times

Religion


Luss_Church_window5.jpg

82 files, last one added on May 02, 2018
Album viewed 0 times

Screen and stage stars


Deborah-Kerr0521.jpg

66 files, last one added on Dec 14, 2017
Album viewed 0 times

Shops


Sinclair-St-crossing-w.jpg

29 files, last one added on Jan 07, 2017
Album viewed 0 times

Transport — General


Uncle_Hector_at_Helensburgh_car.jpg

42 files, last one added on Oct 05, 2017
Album viewed 0 times

Transport — Railways


2018-March-train-1-w.jpg

73 files, last one added on Mar 15, 2018
Album viewed 0 times

Transport — Steamers


Lucy-Ashton-c_1910-w.jpg

78 files, last one added on Mar 13, 2019
Album viewed 0 times

Sport


Bobby_McGregor1.jpg

138 files, last one added on Jul 29, 2018
Album viewed 0 times

Old Postcards


Helensburgh_1903.jpeg

These images are copies of old postcards and some are watermarked. Please respect this website by not copying the images.

55 files, last one added on Feb 10, 2015
Album viewed 0 times

22 albums on 1 page(s)

1,934 files in 22 albums and 2 categories with 0 comments viewed 1,752,841 times

Random files
Old-seafront-pic.jpg
Seafront597 viewsAn early image of Helensburgh seafront, looking from the pier to the east side of the town. As there is no bandstand, it must have been taken before 1906. Image kindly supplied by Robert Ryan.
Lansdowne-Park-w.jpg
Lansdowne Park877 viewsBuilt in the 1850s and demolished about 2004, Lansdowne Park was on the east side of the Victoria Road and Sinclair Street junction in Helensburgh, opposite Prince Albert Terrace. Originally a private house, the ornate roof was added by architect William Leiper in 1896. Its last use was as a boarding house for St Bride's School and its successor Lomond School. After it was demolished, private houses and flats were built on the site. Image date unknown.
Camis_Eskan_House_1972-1.jpg
Camis Eskan House1445 viewsAn aerial view of Camis Eskan House, circa 1972, when it was in use as a hospital. The main part was built in 1648 by the Dennistouns, who had a royal connection through marriage. In 1836 the mansion was sold to Colin Campbell from Renfrewshire, and his descendants owned it until November 1946 when it was bought by the then Dunbartonshire County Council. Well known Helensburgh architect A.N.Paterson was commissioned by the then tenant, lawyer Leonard Gow, to modernise and extend the building in 1915. During the Second World War it was requisitioned by the Government and used as a hospital for Polish Army casualties, then rented to the County Council for use as a hospital for, first, TB patients, then infectious diseases, then maternity, and finally geriatric use. In 1979 it was developed for private flats and dwellings. Image supplied by Robert Reid.
Luss_steamer.jpg
Calling at Luss588 viewsA steamer, possibly the SS Prince George, approaches Luss Pier from the north. Circa 1930.
Baird-Christmas-card-w.jpg
Merry Christmas595 viewsThis Christmas card was sent to Helensburgh TV inventor John Logie Baird's widow Margaret in 1948. It is signed by J.D.Percy, who worked for Baird Television in the 1930s and lived on until about 1985, and depicts the first demonstration of colour television in London in July 1928. Image by courtesy of the inventor's son Professor Malcolm Baird, who is president of Helensburgh Heritage Trust.
Busy_seafront1731.jpg
Busy Seafront1270 viewsA packed west esplanade on a sunny day in the summer of 1967.
Kidston-Park042.jpg
Kidston Park879 viewsA family relax at Kidston Park, circa 1910. Bought from the Duke of Argyll in 1877 for £650 by William Kidston with help from Sir James Colquhoun and others, the area was formerly Cairndhu Point — known locally as Neddy's Point after a well known fisherman and ferryman who lived nearby — but was renamed Kidston Park from 1889 when Mr Kidston left money to support its maintenance and requested the name change.
Glen-Douglas-Station15.jpg
Glen Douglas Station1046 viewsGlen Douglas Station on the West Highland Line, which opened in 1894. Image date unknown.

Last additions
Provost-Andrew-Buchanan-w.jpg
Provost Andrew Buchanan5 viewsAn image from the Helensburgh and Gareloch Times of Andrew Buchanan, who served as Provost of Helensburgh from 1930-36. He donated the outdoor swimming pool to the burgh, and paid for the refurbishment of the interior of the Victoria Halls, amongst many acts of generosity.Mar 13, 2019
Lucy-Ashton-c_1910-w.jpg
Lucy Ashton5 viewsThe Lucy Ashton at Craigendoran Pier, c.1910. Image courtesy of Helensburgh Memories.Mar 13, 2019
Ardgare-House-w.jpg
Ardgare House13 viewsImposing Ardgare House at Shandon before the building and land was cleared to start construction of the Ardgare housing estate with its 13 homes. The castellated curved wall round the stables (top right) still exists and forms the property boundary with No.10 Ardgare. Image c.1970 supplied by Ken Glen.Mar 11, 2019
Shandon-Hydropathic-share-w.jpg
Hydro share21 viewsAn 1894 share certificate for the Shandon Hydropathic Company. Image kindly supplied by courtesy of https://www.scripoworld.com/Mar 09, 2019
Rhu-water-trip.jpg
Waterworks trip67 viewsLocal worthies, including F.C.Buchanan of Rowmore, Rhu (left), celebrate the opening of a new dam and waterworks in the hills above the village, c.1896.Feb 10, 2019
Bonar-Law-1922-chess-w.jpg
Passion for chess141 viewsBonar Law was a great chess enthusiast, and was a highly rated player. He is pictured here at the London International Chess Congress in July and August of 1922 with the Mayor of Westminster, a few weeks before he became Prime Minister. The players were José Raúl Capablanca y Graupera, world champion in 1922, (left) and Machgielis Euwe. known to all as Max. Photo by courtesy of the Chess Scotland History Archive at www.chessscotland.com/documents/history/latest_additions.htm.Dec 27, 2018
Shipbreaking_Industries.jpg
Faslane shipbreaking284 viewsThe Shipbreaking Industries yard at Faslane, clearly illustrating that they broke up old railway locomotives as well as ships. After Faslane had been a military port in World War Two, at the end of 1945 the southern section was handed over to the Royal Navy who used it as a base for the Reserve Fleet. In August 1946 the rest was handed over to Metal Industries (later Shipbreaking Industries) for shipbreaking. Many famous vessels ended their days there, including the last four-funnelled liner, the Aquitania, the German battleship Derflinger which had been scuttled at Scapa Flow, and the last battleship built for the Royal Navy, HMS Vanguard. Image, date unknown, by courtesy of Stewart Noble.Nov 25, 2018
Cairndhu-GF-w.jpg
Cairndhu271 viewsThe magnificent William Leiper-designed Helensburgh seafront mansion Cairndhu, which is now boarded up, pictured in its heyday by Gordon Fraser. It was built for Glasgow businessman John Ure, who later became Lord Provost of Glasgow, in the style of a miniature French chateau, with stained glass windows by Daniel Cottier. The mansion remained a private home until the Second World War. In September 1940 it was requisitioned by the Royal Navy and became home to part of HMS Vernon, along with neighbouring Ardencaple Castle. for degaussing operations. In 1947 Cairndhu was returned to private ownership and became a hotel and then a nursing home.Nov 25, 2018