Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search
Choose your language:

Category Albums Files
Heritage
Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust GalleryWithin this gallery are all the images. If you click the link above you will find the albums containing the images


22 1,950
People


Sam_Bryden13.jpg

47 files, last one added on Mar 28, 2019
Album viewed 47 times

The Arts


CRM_postcard4.jpg

35 files, last one added on Mar 28, 2019
Album viewed 21 times

Works of art


Colquhoun-Lady-Helen-w.jpg

53 files, last one added on Dec 14, 2015
Album viewed 18 times

Business


1st_1957_Advertiser2.jpg

109 files, last one added on Mar 28, 2019
Album viewed 31 times

Education


Glen_Fruin_school10.jpg

130 files, last one added on Jul 29, 2018
Album viewed 45 times

John Logie Baird


John-Logie-Baird5093.jpg

64 files, last one added on Mar 28, 2019
Album viewed 18 times

Henry Bell and the Comet


Comet-flywheel-in-park-w.jpg

109 files, last one added on Nov 18, 2014
Album viewed 17 times

Prime Minister Andrew Bonar Law


Bonar-Law-1922-chess-w.jpg

20 files, last one added on Dec 27, 2018
Album viewed 18 times

Military


German-Heinkel5.jpg

91 files, last one added on Jul 01, 2018
Album viewed 30 times

Organisations


Rovers-building-cabin-w.jpg

80 files, last one added on Jul 01, 2018
Album viewed 27 times

Royal Visits


1965-Royal-Visit-2-w.jpg

29 files, last one added on Apr 16, 2019
Album viewed 20 times

Mansions


Hill-House-box-w.jpg

96 files, last one added on Mar 26, 2019
Album viewed 36 times

Places — Burgh


Seafront-relax-w.jpg

300 files, last one added on May 19, 2019
Album viewed 34 times

Places — District


Rhu-water-trip.jpg

222 files, last one added on Feb 10, 2019
Album viewed 32 times

Religion


Luss_Church_window5.jpg

82 files, last one added on May 02, 2018
Album viewed 16 times

Screen and stage stars


Deborah-Kerr0521.jpg

66 files, last one added on Dec 14, 2017
Album viewed 26 times

Shops


Sinclair-St-crossing-w.jpg

29 files, last one added on Jan 07, 2017
Album viewed 28 times

Transport — General


Uncle_Hector_at_Helensburgh_car.jpg

42 files, last one added on Oct 05, 2017
Album viewed 32 times

Transport — Railways


2018-March-train-1-w.jpg

73 files, last one added on Mar 15, 2018
Album viewed 29 times

Transport — Steamers


Lucy-Ashton-test-bed-w.jpg

79 files, last one added on Apr 16, 2019
Album viewed 22 times

Sport


Bobby_McGregor1.jpg

139 files, last one added on Apr 16, 2019
Album viewed 34 times

Old Postcards


Helensburgh_1903.jpeg

These images are copies of old postcards and some are watermarked. Please respect this website by not copying the images.

55 files, last one added on Feb 10, 2015
Album viewed 30 times

22 albums on 1 page(s)

1,950 files in 22 albums and 2 categories with 0 comments viewed 1,761,305 times

Random files
GIS_(Peaty)7.jpg
Gregor Ian Smith905 viewsA portrait by Jon Peaty of well known Helensburgh artist Gregor Ian Smith. It is owned by Helensburgh and District Art Club, of which Gregor Ian was a leading member for many years.
Susie-w.jpg
Susie and her Castle1018 viewsBorn in 1847, Susie Reid was a well-known character, not only at Portincaple, where she lived for many years until her death at 81, but also much further afield. Her personality would probably have been enough to make her a local celebrity, but the extra factor that ensured her a place in the hall of fame was that her home was an upturned fishing smack. Her story is told in the People section of the Trust website. Photo taken by Rhu postmaster Willie Winton and supplied by his grandson, Alistair Quinlan.
Plaza_Ballroom0597.jpg
The Plaza Ballroom1044 viewsThe Plaza Ballroom at 23 John Street opened in 1927 and was very popular with British and American servicemen during World War Two who knew it as the 'Honky Tonk'. Eventually the site was bought by the Town Council, and in 1970 it was demolished and flats built on the site. From 1913-27 it was the Cine Electric Picture House, closing because of competition from other cinemas.
Victoria_Road1671.jpg
Prince Albert Terrace1032 viewsThe Terrace in Victoria Road was built in the late 1870s by William Tait for the Cramb family, who owned Hermitage Park. It is said to have been built to such a height and facing north on the orders of the owners to obscure the view of the river from Lansdowne House opposite and overlook it, because Susannah Cramb had been jilted by a young man from Landsdowne. Novelist A.J.Cronin (1896-1981) lived in the Terrace, and contemporary portrait painter Stephen Conroy was born at no.3 in 1964.
1881-Baird-poster-1-w.jpg
Evening lecture545 viewsThe Rev John Baird, father of TV inventor John Logie Baird and minister of Helensburgh's West Established Church, later St Bride's Church, gave a lecture on the French Revolution in the Pavilion at Blanefield on February 10 1882. Image by courtesy of Michael Dryden.
WH-Paton-Morelaggan-w.jpg
Upper Morelaggan769 viewsUpper Morelaggan on Loch Longside, the scene recently of major excavations of a rural settlement which dates back to 1501. The artist was Dunfermline-born Waller Hugh Paton, who has been described as the leading exponent of the Pre-Raphaelite landscape in Scotland and who exhibited views — mostly painted on Arran — at the Royal Scottish Academy from 1854. This small 1875 watercolour, which is signed and dated, was on offer at £1,800. Image supplied by Ewan Mundy Fine Art, Glasgow.
Comet-model-DS.jpg
Replica afloat550 viewsThis working model of Henry Bell's Comet steamship was built and sailed by members of Helensburgh and District Modellers Club, who in August 2012, after the bicentenary celebrations, donated it to Helensburgh Heritage Trust for display in the Heritage Centre in Helensburgh Library in West King Street.
Seafront-shelter.jpg
Seafront shelter705 viewsThe William Street shelter on the West Esplanade, Helensburgh, published by M.C.Robertson, West Clyde Street. It was one of several seafront shelters which fell into disrepair and were demolished towards the end of the century. Image circa 1910.

Last additions
Seafront-relax-w.jpg
Relaxing on seafront2 viewsA 1912 image showing two ladies with hats relaxing on the west esplanade near the pier.May 19, 2019
Cardross-Golf-Club-original-w.jpg
Original clubhouse46 viewsThe original Cardross Golf Club clubhouse, which was destroyed in a World War Two bombing raid by the Luftwaffe over the night of May 5 1941. Photo by courtesy of Helensburgh Memories on Facebook.Apr 16, 2019
1965-Royal-Visit-2-w.jpg
1965 Royal Visit40 viewsThe Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh are pictured in Helensburgh Central Station admiring a model of the first 'Blue Train' which would soon be introduced into service on the Helensburgh-Glasgow line. The 15 minute visit was on Monday June 28 1965 to open new council offices, and the royal couple arrived at and left Clydebank on the royal yacht Britannia. With them are Provost J.McLeod Williamson and his wife Rosina. Photo by courtesy of Helensburgh Memories on Facebook.Apr 16, 2019
Lucy-Ashton-test-bed-w.jpg
Lucy Ashton as test bed13 viewsThe steamer Lucy Ashton operated the Craigendoran - Gareloch - Greenock service from the early 1900s until she was withdrawn during the Second World War. In 1949 she was sold for scrap, but received a last minute reprieve when the British Shipbuilding Research Association converted her to a jet-powered hull to conduct resistance experiments to analyse the impact of drag and friction on a full-scale ship hull. She was fitted with four Rolls-Royce Derwent V engines, which would not disturb the water in the same way as a propeller and shaft, then was scrapped in 1951. Photo by courtesy of Helensburgh Memories on Facebook.Apr 16, 2019
Maitland-Street-plaque-w.jpg
Maitland Street plaque26 viewsThis worn carved stone in the wall at the foot of Maitland Street dates from 1778 and denotes the productive local trade of herring fishing in the early 19th century. The cured fish were stored in barrels made in the cooperage there. Photo by Kenneth Crawford.Mar 28, 2019
Trust-book-w.jpg
Around Helensburgh36 viewsCompilers Kenneth Crawford, who wrote the captions, and Alison Roberts are pictured at the 1999 launch of the Helensburgh Heritage Trust book of old local pictures, entitled Around Helensburgh and part of the Images of Scotland series from Tempus Publishing Ltd of Stroud, Gloucestershire.Mar 28, 2019
Gasometer-w.jpg
Burgh gasometer14 viewsThe gasometer, built in 1928, stood between East Clyde Street and East Princes Street opposite Helensburgh Central Station. It was decommissioned in 2012 and demolished in the summer of 2014, to be replaced by a car park. Photo by Kenneth Crawford.Mar 28, 2019
Garrawy-b-stone-w.jpg
Boundary stone18 viewsOne of Helensburgh's boundary stones, this one in Garrawy Glen above Kirkmichael. Photo by Kenneth Crawford.Mar 28, 2019