Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search
Choose your language:

Category Albums Files
Heritage
Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust GalleryWithin this gallery are all the images. If you click the link above you will find the albums containing the images


22 1,950
People


Sam_Bryden13.jpg

47 files, last one added on Mar 28, 2019
Album viewed 47 times

The Arts


CRM_postcard4.jpg

35 files, last one added on Mar 28, 2019
Album viewed 21 times

Works of art


Colquhoun-Lady-Helen-w.jpg

53 files, last one added on Dec 14, 2015
Album viewed 18 times

Business


1st_1957_Advertiser2.jpg

109 files, last one added on Mar 28, 2019
Album viewed 31 times

Education


Glen_Fruin_school10.jpg

130 files, last one added on Jul 29, 2018
Album viewed 45 times

John Logie Baird


John-Logie-Baird5093.jpg

64 files, last one added on Mar 28, 2019
Album viewed 18 times

Henry Bell and the Comet


Comet-flywheel-in-park-w.jpg

109 files, last one added on Nov 18, 2014
Album viewed 17 times

Prime Minister Andrew Bonar Law


Bonar-Law-1922-chess-w.jpg

20 files, last one added on Dec 27, 2018
Album viewed 18 times

Military


German-Heinkel5.jpg

91 files, last one added on Jul 01, 2018
Album viewed 30 times

Organisations


Rovers-building-cabin-w.jpg

80 files, last one added on Jul 01, 2018
Album viewed 27 times

Royal Visits


1965-Royal-Visit-2-w.jpg

29 files, last one added on Apr 16, 2019
Album viewed 20 times

Mansions


Hill-House-box-w.jpg

96 files, last one added on Mar 26, 2019
Album viewed 36 times

Places — Burgh


Seafront-relax-w.jpg

300 files, last one added on May 19, 2019
Album viewed 34 times

Places — District


Rhu-water-trip.jpg

222 files, last one added on Feb 10, 2019
Album viewed 32 times

Religion


Luss_Church_window5.jpg

82 files, last one added on May 02, 2018
Album viewed 16 times

Screen and stage stars


Deborah-Kerr0521.jpg

66 files, last one added on Dec 14, 2017
Album viewed 26 times

Shops


Sinclair-St-crossing-w.jpg

29 files, last one added on Jan 07, 2017
Album viewed 28 times

Transport — General


Uncle_Hector_at_Helensburgh_car.jpg

42 files, last one added on Oct 05, 2017
Album viewed 32 times

Transport — Railways


2018-March-train-1-w.jpg

73 files, last one added on Mar 15, 2018
Album viewed 29 times

Transport — Steamers


Lucy-Ashton-test-bed-w.jpg

79 files, last one added on Apr 16, 2019
Album viewed 22 times

Sport


Bobby_McGregor1.jpg

139 files, last one added on Apr 16, 2019
Album viewed 34 times

Old Postcards


Helensburgh_1903.jpeg

These images are copies of old postcards and some are watermarked. Please respect this website by not copying the images.

55 files, last one added on Feb 10, 2015
Album viewed 30 times

22 albums on 1 page(s)

1,950 files in 22 albums and 2 categories with 0 comments viewed 1,761,305 times

Random files
Rest_and_Be_Thankful_bend.jpg
Rest and Be Thankful592 viewsA hairpin bend on the old Rest and Be Thankful Road at Glencroe, near Arrochar. Image circa 1927.
Hill-House-1904-w.jpg
Hill House 1904410 viewsAn image of The Hill House, the Upper Colquhoun Street mansion designed by architect Charles Rennie Mackintosh for publisher Walter W.Blackie, shortly after construction finished in 1904. © Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland.
Tom-Guthrie-seaplane-w.jpg
Tom Guthrie's seaplane716 viewsRhu man Tom Guthrie, son of Glasgow Boy artist Sir James Guthrie, set up a company called Clyde Flying Boats Ltd. in 1933, offering pleasure flights at ten shillings and to see Loch Lomond for £1. The aircraft, seen at Helensburgh pier, was a SARO Cutty Sark, and was kept overnight at Inchmurrin Island on Loch Lomond.
Rhu-Amateurs-19664108.jpg
Rhu Amateurs1763 viewsThe Rhu Amateurs team and officials Ian McKay, Donny Thomson and Richard Don in August 1966. Captain Finlay Colquhoun is front row centre, with Joe McKell on his right. The back row includes Alistair Glendye, Billy Goodall, keeper Finlay MacDonald, and Jim Shields.
Switzerland-1964---departure.jpg
Scouts leave for Switzerland838 viewsA group from the 1st Craigendoran Scouts were pictured at Helensburgh Central Station by Henry Fullerton, about to head off for Brienz in Switzerland in 1964. Image supplied by Alistair Quinlan.
Talisman1875.jpg
DEPV Talisman846 viewsBuilt in 1935 by A. & J.Inglis, Pointhouse, Glasgow, for the London & North Eastern Railway, this 544-ton diesel-electric direct drive paddle steamer was used on year-round runs from Craigendoran to Rothesay and the Kyles of Bute. She saw World War Two service as HMS Aristocrat, including acting as a HQ ship at the Normandy landings. After 1953 she was allocated to the Wemyss Bay - Largs - Millport ferry route. She was withdrawn after the 1966 season and broken up for scrap at Dalmuir in 1967.
Advertiser_staff.jpg
Craig M.Jeffrey Ltd. staff981 viewsStaff of Craig M.Jeffrey Ltd., publishers of the Helensburgh Advertiser and the County Reporter and commercial printers, pictured outside the 7-9 East King Street printworks on a sunny day. Standing (from left) are Donald Fullarton, W.T.Slater, Jimmy Allan, Tom McLennan, Norma Jarman, Willie McGillivary, Billy Gilmour, Jim Cavana and proprietor Craig Jeffrey. In front are Stewart Stenhouse, unknown, George Gill and Tony McGinley. Image circa 1970.
Mardon_House_outing0304.jpg
Mardon House Outing1163 viewsResidents and staff from Mardon House, Helensburgh, pictured at Garelochhead Army Camp in October 1991, supporting nurses who were taking part in a charity assault course.

Last additions
Seafront-relax-w.jpg
Relaxing on seafront2 viewsA 1912 image showing two ladies with hats relaxing on the west esplanade near the pier.May 19, 2019
Cardross-Golf-Club-original-w.jpg
Original clubhouse46 viewsThe original Cardross Golf Club clubhouse, which was destroyed in a World War Two bombing raid by the Luftwaffe over the night of May 5 1941. Photo by courtesy of Helensburgh Memories on Facebook.Apr 16, 2019
1965-Royal-Visit-2-w.jpg
1965 Royal Visit40 viewsThe Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh are pictured in Helensburgh Central Station admiring a model of the first 'Blue Train' which would soon be introduced into service on the Helensburgh-Glasgow line. The 15 minute visit was on Monday June 28 1965 to open new council offices, and the royal couple arrived at and left Clydebank on the royal yacht Britannia. With them are Provost J.McLeod Williamson and his wife Rosina. Photo by courtesy of Helensburgh Memories on Facebook.Apr 16, 2019
Lucy-Ashton-test-bed-w.jpg
Lucy Ashton as test bed13 viewsThe steamer Lucy Ashton operated the Craigendoran - Gareloch - Greenock service from the early 1900s until she was withdrawn during the Second World War. In 1949 she was sold for scrap, but received a last minute reprieve when the British Shipbuilding Research Association converted her to a jet-powered hull to conduct resistance experiments to analyse the impact of drag and friction on a full-scale ship hull. She was fitted with four Rolls-Royce Derwent V engines, which would not disturb the water in the same way as a propeller and shaft, then was scrapped in 1951. Photo by courtesy of Helensburgh Memories on Facebook.Apr 16, 2019
Maitland-Street-plaque-w.jpg
Maitland Street plaque26 viewsThis worn carved stone in the wall at the foot of Maitland Street dates from 1778 and denotes the productive local trade of herring fishing in the early 19th century. The cured fish were stored in barrels made in the cooperage there. Photo by Kenneth Crawford.Mar 28, 2019
Trust-book-w.jpg
Around Helensburgh36 viewsCompilers Kenneth Crawford, who wrote the captions, and Alison Roberts are pictured at the 1999 launch of the Helensburgh Heritage Trust book of old local pictures, entitled Around Helensburgh and part of the Images of Scotland series from Tempus Publishing Ltd of Stroud, Gloucestershire.Mar 28, 2019
Gasometer-w.jpg
Burgh gasometer14 viewsThe gasometer, built in 1928, stood between East Clyde Street and East Princes Street opposite Helensburgh Central Station. It was decommissioned in 2012 and demolished in the summer of 2014, to be replaced by a car park. Photo by Kenneth Crawford.Mar 28, 2019
Garrawy-b-stone-w.jpg
Boundary stone18 viewsOne of Helensburgh's boundary stones, this one in Garrawy Glen above Kirkmichael. Photo by Kenneth Crawford.Mar 28, 2019