Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album

Category Albums Files
Heritage
Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust GalleryWithin this gallery are all the images. If you click the link above you will find the albums containing the images


22 1,934
People


Sam_Bryden13.jpg

46 files, last one added on Mar 13, 2019
Album viewed 1 times

The Arts


CRM_postcard4.jpg

34 files, last one added on Dec 24, 2016
Album viewed 0 times

Works of art


Colquhoun-Lady-Helen-w.jpg

53 files, last one added on Dec 14, 2015
Album viewed 0 times

Business


1st_1957_Advertiser2.jpg

107 files, last one added on Mar 09, 2019
Album viewed 0 times

Education


Glen_Fruin_school10.jpg

130 files, last one added on Jul 29, 2018
Album viewed 0 times

John Logie Baird


John-Logie-Baird5093.jpg

63 files, last one added on Oct 03, 2017
Album viewed 1 times

Henry Bell and the Comet


Comet-flywheel-in-park-w.jpg

109 files, last one added on Nov 18, 2014
Album viewed 0 times

Prime Minister Andrew Bonar Law


Bonar-Law-1922-chess-w.jpg

20 files, last one added on Dec 27, 2018
Album viewed 0 times

Military


German-Heinkel5.jpg

91 files, last one added on Jul 01, 2018
Album viewed 0 times

Organisations


Rovers-building-cabin-w.jpg

80 files, last one added on Jul 01, 2018
Album viewed 0 times

Royal Visits


Queen-Mother-Base-68-1w.jpg

28 files, last one added on May 21, 2017
Album viewed 0 times

Mansions


Ardgare-House-w.jpg

95 files, last one added on Mar 11, 2019
Album viewed 0 times

Places — Burgh


CHORD-seafront-w.jpg

293 files, last one added on Nov 25, 2018
Album viewed 0 times

Places — District


Rhu-water-trip.jpg

222 files, last one added on Feb 10, 2019
Album viewed 0 times

Religion


Luss_Church_window5.jpg

82 files, last one added on May 02, 2018
Album viewed 0 times

Screen and stage stars


Deborah-Kerr0521.jpg

66 files, last one added on Dec 14, 2017
Album viewed 0 times

Shops


Sinclair-St-crossing-w.jpg

29 files, last one added on Jan 07, 2017
Album viewed 0 times

Transport — General


Uncle_Hector_at_Helensburgh_car.jpg

42 files, last one added on Oct 05, 2017
Album viewed 0 times

Transport — Railways


2018-March-train-1-w.jpg

73 files, last one added on Mar 15, 2018
Album viewed 0 times

Transport — Steamers


Lucy-Ashton-c_1910-w.jpg

78 files, last one added on Mar 13, 2019
Album viewed 0 times

Sport


Bobby_McGregor1.jpg

138 files, last one added on Jul 29, 2018
Album viewed 0 times

Old Postcards


Helensburgh_1903.jpeg

These images are copies of old postcards and some are watermarked. Please respect this website by not copying the images.

55 files, last one added on Feb 10, 2015
Album viewed 0 times

22 albums on 1 page(s)

1,934 files in 22 albums and 2 categories with 0 comments viewed 1,752,841 times

Random files
High_Green_100.jpg
High Green centenary1047 viewsThe president and directors of Helensburgh Bowling Club and guests celebrate the High Green club's centenary in May 1961. Fourth from the right in the middle row is the honorary president, J.Arnold Fleming. Others in the picture include Willie Cowe, Alex Douglas, Richard Don, and the Rev Dr George Logan of Park Church.
Argylls-at-Ardencaple1.jpg
Argylls at Ardencaple957 viewsThe Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders — possibly Dunbartonshire Rifles (8th/9th Battalion Argylls) — parade in the field below Ardencaple Castle, Helensburgh. Image date and other details unknown. Please email the website editor, using the Contact Us facility on the main website, if you can provide any more information.
Ferniegair.jpg
Ferniegair1808 viewsFerniegair on West Clyde Street, home of the Kidston family and immediately east of Cairndhu, built in 1869 by architect John Honeyman and demolished in the 1960s. Image supplied by John Johnston.
Ardencaple-Castle-demoli3912.jpg
Castle demolition1704 viewsThe main tower of Ardencaple Castle is seen just before its demolition in July 1959. The square tower on the left was retained and is still standing.
St-Michael_s-w.jpg
St Michael's Church409 viewsHelensburgh's St Michael and All Angels Scottish Episcopal Church stands at the corner of William Street and West Princes Street. On Sunday August 22 1841 a congregation of Scottish Episcopalians met in the room of a house in William Street, where Divine Service was solemnised by the Very Rev William Routledge. Their first church, dedicated to the Holy Trinity, opened on the site of the present St Michael's Church in 1843. Sir Robert Rowand Anderson, a prolific architect and pupil of George Gilbert Scott, chose the style of the Gothic Revival for the current church which was consecrated on May 7 1868. it is Helensburgh's only grade A listed church. Photo by Professor John Hume.
Larchfield_School_about_1957-3.jpg
Larchfield class1838 viewsA class at Helensburgh's Larchfield School in Colquhoun Street circa 1957. The teacher is Miss Buchanan. Image supplied by Robert Whitton whose father, the Rev R.A.Whitton, was minister of St Michael and All Angels Church from 1951-9.
Arden-shepherd3941~2.jpg
Arden shepherd903 viewsRobert MacDonald, who was shepherd at Arden for 32 years before retiring in March 1985.
Hermitage-nurses-w.jpg
Hermitage nurses761 viewsDuring World War One from 1914-18 the Helensburgh Town Council-owned Hermitage House in Hermitage Park became a military hospital with a capacity for 58 patients who were sent from Stobhall Hospital in Glasgow. The wounded men in their blue uniforms were a familiar sight in the town, being wheeled around the park by their nurses. A number of local ladies and girls helped out in the hospital and the local Red Cross detachment also assisted the trained nurses. Many local girls met their future husbands among the wounded ‘tommies’, and patients were taken on outings in a horse-drawn carriage from Waldie & Co. in Sinclair Street.

Last additions
Provost-Andrew-Buchanan-w.jpg
Provost Andrew Buchanan5 viewsAn image from the Helensburgh and Gareloch Times of Andrew Buchanan, who served as Provost of Helensburgh from 1930-36. He donated the outdoor swimming pool to the burgh, and paid for the refurbishment of the interior of the Victoria Halls, amongst many acts of generosity.Mar 13, 2019
Lucy-Ashton-c_1910-w.jpg
Lucy Ashton5 viewsThe Lucy Ashton at Craigendoran Pier, c.1910. Image courtesy of Helensburgh Memories.Mar 13, 2019
Ardgare-House-w.jpg
Ardgare House13 viewsImposing Ardgare House at Shandon before the building and land was cleared to start construction of the Ardgare housing estate with its 13 homes. The castellated curved wall round the stables (top right) still exists and forms the property boundary with No.10 Ardgare. Image c.1970 supplied by Ken Glen.Mar 11, 2019
Shandon-Hydropathic-share-w.jpg
Hydro share21 viewsAn 1894 share certificate for the Shandon Hydropathic Company. Image kindly supplied by courtesy of https://www.scripoworld.com/Mar 09, 2019
Rhu-water-trip.jpg
Waterworks trip67 viewsLocal worthies, including F.C.Buchanan of Rowmore, Rhu (left), celebrate the opening of a new dam and waterworks in the hills above the village, c.1896.Feb 10, 2019
Bonar-Law-1922-chess-w.jpg
Passion for chess141 viewsBonar Law was a great chess enthusiast, and was a highly rated player. He is pictured here at the London International Chess Congress in July and August of 1922 with the Mayor of Westminster, a few weeks before he became Prime Minister. The players were José Raúl Capablanca y Graupera, world champion in 1922, (left) and Machgielis Euwe. known to all as Max. Photo by courtesy of the Chess Scotland History Archive at www.chessscotland.com/documents/history/latest_additions.htm.Dec 27, 2018
Shipbreaking_Industries.jpg
Faslane shipbreaking284 viewsThe Shipbreaking Industries yard at Faslane, clearly illustrating that they broke up old railway locomotives as well as ships. After Faslane had been a military port in World War Two, at the end of 1945 the southern section was handed over to the Royal Navy who used it as a base for the Reserve Fleet. In August 1946 the rest was handed over to Metal Industries (later Shipbreaking Industries) for shipbreaking. Many famous vessels ended their days there, including the last four-funnelled liner, the Aquitania, the German battleship Derflinger which had been scuttled at Scapa Flow, and the last battleship built for the Royal Navy, HMS Vanguard. Image, date unknown, by courtesy of Stewart Noble.Nov 25, 2018
Cairndhu-GF-w.jpg
Cairndhu271 viewsThe magnificent William Leiper-designed Helensburgh seafront mansion Cairndhu, which is now boarded up, pictured in its heyday by Gordon Fraser. It was built for Glasgow businessman John Ure, who later became Lord Provost of Glasgow, in the style of a miniature French chateau, with stained glass windows by Daniel Cottier. The mansion remained a private home until the Second World War. In September 1940 it was requisitioned by the Royal Navy and became home to part of HMS Vernon, along with neighbouring Ardencaple Castle. for degaussing operations. In 1947 Cairndhu was returned to private ownership and became a hotel and then a nursing home.Nov 25, 2018