Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search
Choose your language:

Category Albums Files
Heritage
Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust GalleryWithin this gallery are all the images. If you click the link above you will find the albums containing the images


22 1,950
People


Sam_Bryden13.jpg

47 files, last one added on Mar 28, 2019
Album viewed 47 times

The Arts


CRM_postcard4.jpg

35 files, last one added on Mar 28, 2019
Album viewed 21 times

Works of art


Colquhoun-Lady-Helen-w.jpg

53 files, last one added on Dec 14, 2015
Album viewed 18 times

Business


1st_1957_Advertiser2.jpg

109 files, last one added on Mar 28, 2019
Album viewed 31 times

Education


Glen_Fruin_school10.jpg

130 files, last one added on Jul 29, 2018
Album viewed 45 times

John Logie Baird


John-Logie-Baird5093.jpg

64 files, last one added on Mar 28, 2019
Album viewed 18 times

Henry Bell and the Comet


Comet-flywheel-in-park-w.jpg

109 files, last one added on Nov 18, 2014
Album viewed 17 times

Prime Minister Andrew Bonar Law


Bonar-Law-1922-chess-w.jpg

20 files, last one added on Dec 27, 2018
Album viewed 18 times

Military


German-Heinkel5.jpg

91 files, last one added on Jul 01, 2018
Album viewed 30 times

Organisations


Rovers-building-cabin-w.jpg

80 files, last one added on Jul 01, 2018
Album viewed 27 times

Royal Visits


1965-Royal-Visit-2-w.jpg

29 files, last one added on Apr 16, 2019
Album viewed 20 times

Mansions


Hill-House-box-w.jpg

96 files, last one added on Mar 26, 2019
Album viewed 36 times

Places — Burgh


Seafront-relax-w.jpg

300 files, last one added on May 19, 2019
Album viewed 34 times

Places — District


Rhu-water-trip.jpg

222 files, last one added on Feb 10, 2019
Album viewed 32 times

Religion


Luss_Church_window5.jpg

82 files, last one added on May 02, 2018
Album viewed 16 times

Screen and stage stars


Deborah-Kerr0521.jpg

66 files, last one added on Dec 14, 2017
Album viewed 26 times

Shops


Sinclair-St-crossing-w.jpg

29 files, last one added on Jan 07, 2017
Album viewed 28 times

Transport — General


Uncle_Hector_at_Helensburgh_car.jpg

42 files, last one added on Oct 05, 2017
Album viewed 32 times

Transport — Railways


2018-March-train-1-w.jpg

73 files, last one added on Mar 15, 2018
Album viewed 29 times

Transport — Steamers


Lucy-Ashton-test-bed-w.jpg

79 files, last one added on Apr 16, 2019
Album viewed 22 times

Sport


Bobby_McGregor1.jpg

139 files, last one added on Apr 16, 2019
Album viewed 34 times

Old Postcards


Helensburgh_1903.jpeg

These images are copies of old postcards and some are watermarked. Please respect this website by not copying the images.

55 files, last one added on Feb 10, 2015
Album viewed 30 times

22 albums on 1 page(s)

1,950 files in 22 albums and 2 categories with 0 comments viewed 1,761,305 times

Random files
Hill_House.jpg
Hill House998 viewsThe Hill House, the Upper Colquhoun Street mansion designed by Charles Rennie Mackintosh for Walter W.Blackie in 1902.
Seafront-19392.jpg
Helensburgh Seafront883 viewsA 1939 view of a crowded Helensburgh beach. Image supplied by Norman Hood.
St_Bride_s_dance_19732724.jpg
St Bride's School Dance2932 viewsPupils and guests at the annual dance at Helensburgh's St Bride's (now Lomond) School. Circa 1973/4. Image supplied by Jenny Sanders.
Tarbet_pier21813.jpg
Tarbet pier586 viewsA Loch Lomond steamer leaves Tarbet pier. Date unknown.
Ardencaple_Hotel.jpg
Ardencaple Hotel852 viewsThe Ardencaple Hotel beside the main road between Helensburgh and Rhu when W.Thomson was the manager. A former coaching inn named the Ardencaple Inn, it was built in the early 1800s by the Duke of Argyll and had its own stables to cater for travellers between Glasgow and Argyll. It replaced the Cairndhu Inn which once stood in Cairndhu Park, which is now Kidston Park, and used much of its stonework. About 1860 it became a private mansion owned by Mrs Rosina Drew and her husband Peter, and about 1912 it reverted to being a hotel. Image date unknown.
Helensburgh-half-marathon-w.jpg
Half-Marathon702 viewsStarters in the Helensburgh People's Half Marathon, sponsored by Douglas Buchanan, set off along West Clyde Street. But which year was it? Image supplied by Gordon Fraser.
Jeanie_Deans-21891.jpg
PS Jeanie Deans1168 viewsThe paddle steamer Jeanie Deans was built by Fairfield at Govan and launched in 1931, then extensively refitted after war service. She remained a passenger favourite on cruises from Craigendoran until the end of the 1964 season. The next year she went to the Thames and was renamed 'Queen of the South'. She was broken up in Antwerp, Belgium, in 1967.
Tarbet_UF_Church2357.jpg
Tarbet Church633 viewsThe former Ballyhennan Church near Tarbet is now the Ben Lomond cafe and craft shop. In the parish of Arrochar after the Disruption there was soon practical evidence of the spirit of evangelical fervour, and money poured in for a building fund. After an open-air Communion Service on the first Sunday of August, 1843, it was decided to petition the Free Church Presbytery for sanction to build a church and call a minister. A contract for building was entered with Dunoon builder Alexander Stewart for a church to seat 250 at £240 sterling. Work began on January 10 1844, and finished on April 11 1844. The Rev Colin Mackenzie was inducted to the Parish at Balhennan (now Ballyhennan) a week later. It ceased to be a church in 1966. Image date unknown.

Last additions
Seafront-relax-w.jpg
Relaxing on seafront2 viewsA 1912 image showing two ladies with hats relaxing on the west esplanade near the pier.May 19, 2019
Cardross-Golf-Club-original-w.jpg
Original clubhouse46 viewsThe original Cardross Golf Club clubhouse, which was destroyed in a World War Two bombing raid by the Luftwaffe over the night of May 5 1941. Photo by courtesy of Helensburgh Memories on Facebook.Apr 16, 2019
1965-Royal-Visit-2-w.jpg
1965 Royal Visit40 viewsThe Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh are pictured in Helensburgh Central Station admiring a model of the first 'Blue Train' which would soon be introduced into service on the Helensburgh-Glasgow line. The 15 minute visit was on Monday June 28 1965 to open new council offices, and the royal couple arrived at and left Clydebank on the royal yacht Britannia. With them are Provost J.McLeod Williamson and his wife Rosina. Photo by courtesy of Helensburgh Memories on Facebook.Apr 16, 2019
Lucy-Ashton-test-bed-w.jpg
Lucy Ashton as test bed13 viewsThe steamer Lucy Ashton operated the Craigendoran - Gareloch - Greenock service from the early 1900s until she was withdrawn during the Second World War. In 1949 she was sold for scrap, but received a last minute reprieve when the British Shipbuilding Research Association converted her to a jet-powered hull to conduct resistance experiments to analyse the impact of drag and friction on a full-scale ship hull. She was fitted with four Rolls-Royce Derwent V engines, which would not disturb the water in the same way as a propeller and shaft, then was scrapped in 1951. Photo by courtesy of Helensburgh Memories on Facebook.Apr 16, 2019
Maitland-Street-plaque-w.jpg
Maitland Street plaque26 viewsThis worn carved stone in the wall at the foot of Maitland Street dates from 1778 and denotes the productive local trade of herring fishing in the early 19th century. The cured fish were stored in barrels made in the cooperage there. Photo by Kenneth Crawford.Mar 28, 2019
Trust-book-w.jpg
Around Helensburgh36 viewsCompilers Kenneth Crawford, who wrote the captions, and Alison Roberts are pictured at the 1999 launch of the Helensburgh Heritage Trust book of old local pictures, entitled Around Helensburgh and part of the Images of Scotland series from Tempus Publishing Ltd of Stroud, Gloucestershire.Mar 28, 2019
Gasometer-w.jpg
Burgh gasometer14 viewsThe gasometer, built in 1928, stood between East Clyde Street and East Princes Street opposite Helensburgh Central Station. It was decommissioned in 2012 and demolished in the summer of 2014, to be replaced by a car park. Photo by Kenneth Crawford.Mar 28, 2019
Garrawy-b-stone-w.jpg
Boundary stone18 viewsOne of Helensburgh's boundary stones, this one in Garrawy Glen above Kirkmichael. Photo by Kenneth Crawford.Mar 28, 2019