Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search
Choose your language:

Category Albums Files
Heritage
Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust GalleryWithin this gallery are all the images. If you click the link above you will find the albums containing the images


22 1,950
People


Sam_Bryden13.jpg

47 files, last one added on Mar 28, 2019
Album viewed 47 times

The Arts


CRM_postcard4.jpg

35 files, last one added on Mar 28, 2019
Album viewed 21 times

Works of art


Colquhoun-Lady-Helen-w.jpg

53 files, last one added on Dec 14, 2015
Album viewed 18 times

Business


1st_1957_Advertiser2.jpg

109 files, last one added on Mar 28, 2019
Album viewed 31 times

Education


Glen_Fruin_school10.jpg

130 files, last one added on Jul 29, 2018
Album viewed 45 times

John Logie Baird


John-Logie-Baird5093.jpg

64 files, last one added on Mar 28, 2019
Album viewed 18 times

Henry Bell and the Comet


Comet-flywheel-in-park-w.jpg

109 files, last one added on Nov 18, 2014
Album viewed 17 times

Prime Minister Andrew Bonar Law


Bonar-Law-1922-chess-w.jpg

20 files, last one added on Dec 27, 2018
Album viewed 18 times

Military


German-Heinkel5.jpg

91 files, last one added on Jul 01, 2018
Album viewed 30 times

Organisations


Rovers-building-cabin-w.jpg

80 files, last one added on Jul 01, 2018
Album viewed 27 times

Royal Visits


1965-Royal-Visit-2-w.jpg

29 files, last one added on Apr 16, 2019
Album viewed 20 times

Mansions


Hill-House-box-w.jpg

96 files, last one added on Mar 26, 2019
Album viewed 36 times

Places — Burgh


Seafront-relax-w.jpg

300 files, last one added on May 19, 2019
Album viewed 34 times

Places — District


Rhu-water-trip.jpg

222 files, last one added on Feb 10, 2019
Album viewed 32 times

Religion


Luss_Church_window5.jpg

82 files, last one added on May 02, 2018
Album viewed 16 times

Screen and stage stars


Deborah-Kerr0521.jpg

66 files, last one added on Dec 14, 2017
Album viewed 26 times

Shops


Sinclair-St-crossing-w.jpg

29 files, last one added on Jan 07, 2017
Album viewed 28 times

Transport — General


Uncle_Hector_at_Helensburgh_car.jpg

42 files, last one added on Oct 05, 2017
Album viewed 32 times

Transport — Railways


2018-March-train-1-w.jpg

73 files, last one added on Mar 15, 2018
Album viewed 29 times

Transport — Steamers


Lucy-Ashton-test-bed-w.jpg

79 files, last one added on Apr 16, 2019
Album viewed 22 times

Sport


Bobby_McGregor1.jpg

139 files, last one added on Apr 16, 2019
Album viewed 34 times

Old Postcards


Helensburgh_1903.jpeg

These images are copies of old postcards and some are watermarked. Please respect this website by not copying the images.

55 files, last one added on Feb 10, 2015
Album viewed 30 times

22 albums on 1 page(s)

1,950 files in 22 albums and 2 categories with 0 comments viewed 1,761,305 times

Random files
Comet-B-Aug-1962.jpg
Comet replica 1962660 viewsThe Comet replica, built by apprentices at William Lithgow at Port Glasgow for the 150th anniversary of the first sailing of Henry Bell's Comet, Europe's first commercial steamship, is seen steaming down river past a cruise liner. To mark the anniversary, the replica sailed from Port Glasgow to Helensburgh, with civic dignitaries on board in costume for 1812. Image taken and supplied by Jim Bamber.
Cumberland-fire-w.jpg
Cumberland burns439 viewsThe Clyde Industrial Training Ship Association vessel Cumberland, moored off Rhu from 1869-89, was destroyed by fire — allegedly arson by five boy pupils — and sold for scrap. The illustrations are from 'The Graphic' newspaper of the time.
Rhu-Pipe-Band10.jpg
Rhu Pipe Band953 viewsMembers of Rhu (Row) Pipe Band, circa 1905. It is believed that the band folded in 1910 at about the time Helensburgh Pipe Band was formed, and more information would be welcomed. Please email the editor, using the Contact Us facility on the Trust website home page. Image supplied by Campbell Neill, whose uncles Claude and John are in the picture.
Shandon-Hydro-bowls~0.jpg
Bowls at Shandon Hydro1197 viewsTwo gentlemen are seen playing bowls on the lawn of Shandon Hydropathic Hotel. Originally West Shandon, this magnificent building was the home of Robert Napier, the greatest figure in Clyde shipbuilding and marine engineering in the mid-19th century. During World War One the Hydro became a hospital, and in World War Two it was used by the army. In 1951 it became a hotel again, but in 1957 it was closed and demolished. Image circa 1905.
Luss_Church_window5.jpg
Luss Parish Church Window753 viewsA Colquhoun memorial window.
Putting_spectators.jpg
Watching putting1042 viewsAn eager crowd look on at what was presumably a putting competition on Helensburgh's west promenade putting green. Any more information would be welcomed. Image, circa 1930, supplied by Alistair Quinlan, who thinks it may have been taken by George Truman as his wife Agnes (known as Cissie), nee Orr, is third from the right. Agnes was Alistair's great aunt.
Ardgartan-Youth-Hostel015-w.jpg
Ardgartan Youth Hostel604 viewsThe custom-built 82-bed Ardgartan Youth Hostel on Loch Longside, in the Argyll National Forest Park, was officially opened by HRH Prince Charles in May 1969, but was closed in 2001 because of low usage and high maintenance costs. It succeeded a previous hostel opened in 1936. Image circa 1977.
Switzerland-1964---departure.jpg
Scouts leave for Switzerland838 viewsA group from the 1st Craigendoran Scouts were pictured at Helensburgh Central Station by Henry Fullerton, about to head off for Brienz in Switzerland in 1964. Image supplied by Alistair Quinlan.

Last additions
Seafront-relax-w.jpg
Relaxing on seafront2 viewsA 1912 image showing two ladies with hats relaxing on the west esplanade near the pier.May 19, 2019
Cardross-Golf-Club-original-w.jpg
Original clubhouse46 viewsThe original Cardross Golf Club clubhouse, which was destroyed in a World War Two bombing raid by the Luftwaffe over the night of May 5 1941. Photo by courtesy of Helensburgh Memories on Facebook.Apr 16, 2019
1965-Royal-Visit-2-w.jpg
1965 Royal Visit40 viewsThe Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh are pictured in Helensburgh Central Station admiring a model of the first 'Blue Train' which would soon be introduced into service on the Helensburgh-Glasgow line. The 15 minute visit was on Monday June 28 1965 to open new council offices, and the royal couple arrived at and left Clydebank on the royal yacht Britannia. With them are Provost J.McLeod Williamson and his wife Rosina. Photo by courtesy of Helensburgh Memories on Facebook.Apr 16, 2019
Lucy-Ashton-test-bed-w.jpg
Lucy Ashton as test bed13 viewsThe steamer Lucy Ashton operated the Craigendoran - Gareloch - Greenock service from the early 1900s until she was withdrawn during the Second World War. In 1949 she was sold for scrap, but received a last minute reprieve when the British Shipbuilding Research Association converted her to a jet-powered hull to conduct resistance experiments to analyse the impact of drag and friction on a full-scale ship hull. She was fitted with four Rolls-Royce Derwent V engines, which would not disturb the water in the same way as a propeller and shaft, then was scrapped in 1951. Photo by courtesy of Helensburgh Memories on Facebook.Apr 16, 2019
Maitland-Street-plaque-w.jpg
Maitland Street plaque26 viewsThis worn carved stone in the wall at the foot of Maitland Street dates from 1778 and denotes the productive local trade of herring fishing in the early 19th century. The cured fish were stored in barrels made in the cooperage there. Photo by Kenneth Crawford.Mar 28, 2019
Trust-book-w.jpg
Around Helensburgh36 viewsCompilers Kenneth Crawford, who wrote the captions, and Alison Roberts are pictured at the 1999 launch of the Helensburgh Heritage Trust book of old local pictures, entitled Around Helensburgh and part of the Images of Scotland series from Tempus Publishing Ltd of Stroud, Gloucestershire.Mar 28, 2019
Gasometer-w.jpg
Burgh gasometer14 viewsThe gasometer, built in 1928, stood between East Clyde Street and East Princes Street opposite Helensburgh Central Station. It was decommissioned in 2012 and demolished in the summer of 2014, to be replaced by a car park. Photo by Kenneth Crawford.Mar 28, 2019
Garrawy-b-stone-w.jpg
Boundary stone18 viewsOne of Helensburgh's boundary stones, this one in Garrawy Glen above Kirkmichael. Photo by Kenneth Crawford.Mar 28, 2019