Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search
Choose your language:

Category Albums Files
Heritage
Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust GalleryWithin this gallery are all the images. If you click the link above you will find the albums containing the images


22 1,950
People


Sam_Bryden13.jpg

47 files, last one added on Mar 28, 2019
Album viewed 47 times

The Arts


CRM_postcard4.jpg

35 files, last one added on Mar 28, 2019
Album viewed 21 times

Works of art


Colquhoun-Lady-Helen-w.jpg

53 files, last one added on Dec 14, 2015
Album viewed 18 times

Business


1st_1957_Advertiser2.jpg

109 files, last one added on Mar 28, 2019
Album viewed 31 times

Education


Glen_Fruin_school10.jpg

130 files, last one added on Jul 29, 2018
Album viewed 45 times

John Logie Baird


John-Logie-Baird5093.jpg

64 files, last one added on Mar 28, 2019
Album viewed 18 times

Henry Bell and the Comet


Comet-flywheel-in-park-w.jpg

109 files, last one added on Nov 18, 2014
Album viewed 17 times

Prime Minister Andrew Bonar Law


Bonar-Law-1922-chess-w.jpg

20 files, last one added on Dec 27, 2018
Album viewed 18 times

Military


German-Heinkel5.jpg

91 files, last one added on Jul 01, 2018
Album viewed 30 times

Organisations


Rovers-building-cabin-w.jpg

80 files, last one added on Jul 01, 2018
Album viewed 27 times

Royal Visits


1965-Royal-Visit-2-w.jpg

29 files, last one added on Apr 16, 2019
Album viewed 20 times

Mansions


Hill-House-box-w.jpg

96 files, last one added on Mar 26, 2019
Album viewed 36 times

Places — Burgh


Seafront-relax-w.jpg

300 files, last one added on May 19, 2019
Album viewed 34 times

Places — District


Rhu-water-trip.jpg

222 files, last one added on Feb 10, 2019
Album viewed 32 times

Religion


Luss_Church_window5.jpg

82 files, last one added on May 02, 2018
Album viewed 16 times

Screen and stage stars


Deborah-Kerr0521.jpg

66 files, last one added on Dec 14, 2017
Album viewed 26 times

Shops


Sinclair-St-crossing-w.jpg

29 files, last one added on Jan 07, 2017
Album viewed 28 times

Transport — General


Uncle_Hector_at_Helensburgh_car.jpg

42 files, last one added on Oct 05, 2017
Album viewed 32 times

Transport — Railways


2018-March-train-1-w.jpg

73 files, last one added on Mar 15, 2018
Album viewed 29 times

Transport — Steamers


Lucy-Ashton-test-bed-w.jpg

79 files, last one added on Apr 16, 2019
Album viewed 22 times

Sport


Bobby_McGregor1.jpg

139 files, last one added on Apr 16, 2019
Album viewed 34 times

Old Postcards


Helensburgh_1903.jpeg

These images are copies of old postcards and some are watermarked. Please respect this website by not copying the images.

55 files, last one added on Feb 10, 2015
Album viewed 30 times

22 albums on 1 page(s)

1,950 files in 22 albums and 2 categories with 0 comments viewed 1,761,305 times

Random files
War_veterans2.jpg
World War veterans1486 viewsHelensburgh veterans of the First and Second World Wars pictured at a reunion at the Clydeview, East Montrose Street, home of Lieutenant Colonel Archibald MacConnell, DSO, TD (front row, centre), circa 1950. Soon after he donated his house to the Church of Scotland for use as an eventide home. Seated in the front row, second from the left, is World War One Battle of the Somme survivor Archibald Robertson, whose granddaughter Joan Spencer supplied this image. Third from the right in the standing front row is James Taylor, who owned the Music Shop in James Street, and second from the right is Walter S.Bryden, son of Provost Sam Bryden and owner of Macneur & Bryden Ltd. and the Helensburgh and Gareloch Times. Thomas Garrity DCM, an accomplished drummer who taught many aspiring local drummers, is seated front far left.
Queen_Mother_at_Base0717.jpg
Royal Visit to Base754 viewsThe late Queen Mother talks to naval wives and children during a visit to the Clyde Submarine Base at Faslane in May 1968.
football_team6.jpg
Unknown Football Team1561 viewsThe venue might be Ardenconnel Park, Rhu, but neither the team nor the date are known.
cairndhu_05.jpg
Cairndhu front door1051 viewsThe decorated front door of the former Cairndhu Hotel, later a nursing home for the elderly and now disused and boarded up. Originally Cairndhu House, it was built in 1871 to a William Leiper design in the style of a grand chateau for John Ure, Provost of Glasgow, whose son became Lord Strathclyde and lived in the mansion. 2011 image by Stewart Noble.
Larchfield-1955-w.jpg
Larchfield School Forms 4A and B 19581077 viewsRear (from right): ? Russell, Richard Marshall, Peter Jack, Charles Nicholson, George Watson, A.Robertson, Jeremy Scales, Andrew Nicholson, Alastair Trail; 2nd back: Timothy Scott, William Burgess, John Glen, Alastair Wingate, Richard North, Ian MacFadyen, Brian Brown, William Young, Dave Robertson; middle: Christopher Grieve, Colin Wearmouth, Colin Service, Graham Carver, John Blackie; front: John Wright, William Stewart Robertson, David Young, Michael Henderson, Kenneth Henderson, Geoffrey Bamford.
Hartfield-House,-Cove-w.jpg
Hartfield House779 viewsThis Cove mansion was owned by James, Lord Inverclyde, second son of the first Lord Inverclyde, and grandson of Sir George Burns, Bart., founder of the Cunard Line. An enthusiastic yachtsman, he was Vice-Commodore of the Royal Northern Yacht Club at Rhu and a member of the Royal Yacht Squadron, president of the Scottish Hockey Association, a cricketer, curler, and tennis player. He leased the shooting on Rosneath moor from the Duke of Argyll. Later it belonged to his son Alan, the 4th Baron, and then became a YMCA holiday home. The mansion was demolished in the 1960s. Image date unknown.
Kenilworth-Craigendoran-w.jpg
PS Kenilworth367 viewsA 390-ton paddle steamer built in 1898 by A. & J.Inglis at Pointhouse for the North British Steam Packet Company, she operated on the Clyde until 1937, serving initially on the Craigendoran to Rothesay route. She was refurbished and reboilered in 1915 and saw limited World War One service from 1917-19 as a minesweeper on the South Coast. Upon her return in 1936 she was the first of the Craigendoran fleet to acquire the grey hull and reopened the Arrochar excursion service. Retired in 1937, she was broken up the following year at the yard where she had been constructed. Image circa 1936.
Ring_Round_Moon2.jpg
Ring Round The Moon853 viewsThe cast of the Helensburgh Theatre Arts Club production of "Ring Round The Moon", by Jean Anouilh, translated by Christoper Fry, in the Victoria Hall in December 1967. The production by Vera McIntyre was considered outstanding. Sitting (from left) are Marjorie Jennings, Joanne Pfeiffer, Sally Lloyd-Jones, Joanna Muir; standing are Jill Grattidge, Philip Clarke, Bernard Jennings, Chris Young, Michael Crossley, Ronnie Kinloch and Jean Pender.

Last additions
Seafront-relax-w.jpg
Relaxing on seafront2 viewsA 1912 image showing two ladies with hats relaxing on the west esplanade near the pier.May 19, 2019
Cardross-Golf-Club-original-w.jpg
Original clubhouse46 viewsThe original Cardross Golf Club clubhouse, which was destroyed in a World War Two bombing raid by the Luftwaffe over the night of May 5 1941. Photo by courtesy of Helensburgh Memories on Facebook.Apr 16, 2019
1965-Royal-Visit-2-w.jpg
1965 Royal Visit40 viewsThe Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh are pictured in Helensburgh Central Station admiring a model of the first 'Blue Train' which would soon be introduced into service on the Helensburgh-Glasgow line. The 15 minute visit was on Monday June 28 1965 to open new council offices, and the royal couple arrived at and left Clydebank on the royal yacht Britannia. With them are Provost J.McLeod Williamson and his wife Rosina. Photo by courtesy of Helensburgh Memories on Facebook.Apr 16, 2019
Lucy-Ashton-test-bed-w.jpg
Lucy Ashton as test bed13 viewsThe steamer Lucy Ashton operated the Craigendoran - Gareloch - Greenock service from the early 1900s until she was withdrawn during the Second World War. In 1949 she was sold for scrap, but received a last minute reprieve when the British Shipbuilding Research Association converted her to a jet-powered hull to conduct resistance experiments to analyse the impact of drag and friction on a full-scale ship hull. She was fitted with four Rolls-Royce Derwent V engines, which would not disturb the water in the same way as a propeller and shaft, then was scrapped in 1951. Photo by courtesy of Helensburgh Memories on Facebook.Apr 16, 2019
Maitland-Street-plaque-w.jpg
Maitland Street plaque26 viewsThis worn carved stone in the wall at the foot of Maitland Street dates from 1778 and denotes the productive local trade of herring fishing in the early 19th century. The cured fish were stored in barrels made in the cooperage there. Photo by Kenneth Crawford.Mar 28, 2019
Trust-book-w.jpg
Around Helensburgh36 viewsCompilers Kenneth Crawford, who wrote the captions, and Alison Roberts are pictured at the 1999 launch of the Helensburgh Heritage Trust book of old local pictures, entitled Around Helensburgh and part of the Images of Scotland series from Tempus Publishing Ltd of Stroud, Gloucestershire.Mar 28, 2019
Gasometer-w.jpg
Burgh gasometer14 viewsThe gasometer, built in 1928, stood between East Clyde Street and East Princes Street opposite Helensburgh Central Station. It was decommissioned in 2012 and demolished in the summer of 2014, to be replaced by a car park. Photo by Kenneth Crawford.Mar 28, 2019
Garrawy-b-stone-w.jpg
Boundary stone18 viewsOne of Helensburgh's boundary stones, this one in Garrawy Glen above Kirkmichael. Photo by Kenneth Crawford.Mar 28, 2019